PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm New!

kg78
12-09-09, 21:31
Hi Everyone

I'm a 30 year old married mum, and I've suffered from health anxiety and panic attacks for about 10 years. My first panic attack happened when I got an ocular migraine and I was convinced I was having a stroke and was going to die.

I did manage to get a grip on the panic attacks by basically doing lots of reading up about them and learning some relaxation techniques, and then the health anxiety took over following the birth of my son 5 years ago. I've diagnosed myself (or good old google has diagnosed me) with various types of cancer and other serious illnesses. I also always think the worst if my son is ill.

Now the panic attacks are starting again, I had one a few weeks ago on a night out with friends which lasted for about an hour and I had one in work last week which I managed to recognise and get under control pretty quickly. Both times left me feeling shaky, frightened and exhausted. In fact living with constant anxiety is really taking its toll and I'm permenantly exhausted, working full time and trying to run a house doesn't help either! We've had friends over today for food and drinks and I felt terrible, sick and like I was on the verge of an attack the whole time they were here and couldn't wait for them to leave.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for from this site - maybe just to know there are others in the same situation will help me. I feel like I need to just get a grip and snap out of it.... if only it was that easy.

Thanks for reading.
K x

pollyanna
12-09-09, 22:36
Hi KG

If only it were that easy indeed!!!
Loads of people here can relate to what you have said. there is plenty of support here to help you through this current blip, so :welcome: to the family.

take care

P x

sue.b
12-09-09, 23:12
Hi K :welcome:

I only found this site about 3 weeks ago. There is lots of good info and lots of support from fellow sufferers.

I can empathise with your feelings of panic and stress when people are visiting. I have always loved having people around and entertaining family and friends, but the last 12 weeks i have even felt anxious and overwhelmed when my daughter and her family visit once a week. I feel quite guilty about feeling this way but at the moment thats just how i am, but it is getting a little easier.

I guess you may need to give yourself a bit of space at the moment and try not to be too hard on yourself for not wanting people around you, its understandable when you are trying to get to grips with panic/anxiety it is exhausting both mentally and physically.

Just take things slowly at the moment.

Take care

Sue xx

FroggyPrince
13-09-09, 09:34
Hi K, :welcome: to the group!

Paul (Froggy)

Mick36
14-09-09, 10:29
Hi K

I'm new to this site too, and I can tell you you're certainly not alone. When I was first diagnosed with anxiety issues, I was careful who I told and who I didn't tell. Those who I did tell, either said 'yes I've had the same problems and had/am on the same medication' or they knew someone that was. I think it's pretty common. I bet the people that you 'don't tell', haven't a clue that you have these issues.

Like I said, I'm new to this site, but after reading some of the content, I'm sure it will be a positive help for you.

Cheers

Mick