PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety strikes back

Mick36
14-09-09, 10:15
Hi there

I've suffered from anxiety for about 15 years now, most of the time I can handle it, but every 2 or 3 years it gets quite bad. I've just recently come off Citalopram, 20mg per day. I stumbled across this site after looking up 'sides affects coming off Citalopram', and only really suffered from the 'head woosh' problem, I think I'm perhaps one of the lucky ones.

I've been off the tablets about 6 weeks now, and thought I was doing ok, but had a particularly restless night last night, resulting in me feeling pretty low today, and fragile.

Now, I'll try to explain how my anxiety manifests itself. It could perhaps be classed as O.C.D. Basically, I imagine that I've done something wrong, until I believe that perhaps I did actually do that. It could be something as little as leaving the computer switched on, until I check, and check again, then check once more. It come be something else, something that I'd never dream of actually doing, but If I tell myself long enough 'I did do that', and I'd eventually think I did do it, and I'd be consumed with guilt for the rest of the day/week. This would result in me avoiding certain situations, that perhaps I'd normally enjoy doing.

I once read a very helpful quote that 'the nervous system cannot distinguish what is real, and what we imagine', how true that is.

It would be great to hear from anybody that has similar problems as myself, but to be honest, I feel slightly better already just writing this down.

Thanks for reading:)

Mick

Rizzle
14-09-09, 14:29
Hi Mick

A friend of mine told me about something similar where she panicked she hadn't switched the stove off, or something similar (just like your computer problem). It caused her to keep leaving work to go home and check. To stop herself, she used to take a photo on her phone every day when she left for work, to prove that the stove was off. Every time she panicked, she looked at the photo and proved she had done it, so no more leaving the office and a slower heart rate. Not sure it'll work with you unless it's a similar and consistent fear, but thought I'd share the approach anyway.

All the best

Veronica H
14-09-09, 14:45
:) That's a brilliant tip Rizzle.

Veronica

Veronica H
14-09-09, 14:47
:welcome: Mick. Glad that you have found us.

Veronica