PDA

View Full Version : Body Dysmorpic Disorder(scratching habbit)

mum2four
24-10-05, 07:47
BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER (BDD)

The primary distinguishing feature of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is an obsessive preoccupation with a perceived defect in one's physical appearance. BDD obsessions may manifest as excessive, disproportionate concerns about a minor flaw, or as recurrent, anxiety-provoking thoughts about an entirely imagined defect. The obsessions are most frequently focused on the head and face, but may involve any body part. BDD goes beyond normal concern with one's appearance, and may significantly impair academic and professional functioning, as well as interpersonal relationships. In extreme cases, an individual may completely shun any contact with people in an effort to avoid having the defect being observed by others.

Common BDD obsessions involve:

* Moles and freckles being too large or noticeable
* Acne
* Minor scars or skin aberrations
* Too much facial or body hair
* Too little hair on head
* Size and/or shape of genitalia
* Breast size
* Muscles being too small
* Overall size, shape and/or symmetry of the face or another body part

Common BDD compulsions include:

* Repetitive checking of a minor or imagined flaw in mirrors
* Avoidance of mirrors
* Avoidance of having picture taken
* Repetitive grooming activities such as shaving, combing hair, etc.
* Repetitive checking, touching and/or measuring of a minor or imagined defect
* Wearing excessive make-up to camouflage a minor or imagined flaw
* Wearing certain clothes to camouflage a minor or imagined defect
* Multiple medical visits, especially to dermatologists
* Multiple medical procedures in an effort to eradicate a minor or imagined flaw

As demonstrated above, BDD has obsessive-compulsive features that are quite similar to those of OCD. In fact, one recent study found that 24% of those with BDD also had OCD. Perhaps the most significant similarity linking the two disorders is the cyclical process by which the symptoms of both increase. To learn more about this process, click here.

Because of these many similarities, the same Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques that are so effective in treating OCD are also employed in treating BDD. The primary CBT technique used in treating both of these conditions is Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP). For more information on this treatment, click here.

__________________________________________________ ___________

What if this is why I have been scratching for 6 year's. I am obsessed with tummy the main area i use to scratch reall bad. I hate my tummy I am alway mesureing it looking at it to see if it better. When ever I got stressed I'd alway have bad thought process about my tummy. I hate women's clothes with a pasion cause thay often dont make me feel good about my tummy. I have had major hissy fit's about why cant I get my tummy to cant get better. I have alway's hate my tummy from a young age but it increased 20 fold after getting pregnant with my last baby and my depression hit me around the time the scratching was reall getting bad and i was compleatly obbsessed with making my tummy better any way I could. This would explain my extream scratching habbit and why i was scratching in my sleep.

Gee you guy's must be sick of me by now. Hopfully I will beable to get some concrete answers nwhen i see the phycologist.

nomorepanic
24-10-05, 20:44
Mum

Your post made me chuckle cos I am constantly measuring my stomach too !

I am dieting and the stomach is not losing any weight so I am always playing with it and pinching the fat lol.

I don't think I am that obsessed over it just that it annoys me and I want it to disappear.

I hate any clothes on it cos they all feel too tight as well.

Anyway - just wanted to let you know that I don't think it is necessarily BDD but just that we feel uncomfortable with our stomachs so in a way we get a bit obsessed with them.

Hope this helps.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"