PDA

View Full Version : Its Happening again

ogarchamplin
21-01-04, 13:13
Hello everyone this is my first post here. I would like to say thank you for who ever is responsible for making this site. It feels good not to be alone with this. Back in 96 i was hospitalized with severe depression and panic attacks. I had gone to my local emergency so many times that they knew me by name and new i was there because i was having a "heart attack." Well after spending a month in their i was put on meds and things worked out. Then about two years ago i started having attacks again(no longer on meds} and went and saw a pdoc. He put me on depakote, trazadone, and klonipin. This helped but caused fatique and weight gain. I went off my meds six months ago. Now three months ago i went for a stress test with dye. It showed a possible blockage in my heart. My cardiologist ordered another test becuase he said the blockage was so small and that the test has a history of showing false positives. Well they could not do the second test so my cardioligist said i had two opitions. One-wait a year lose some weight and do the stress test over or have a heart cathderzation which he said was not mandatory because he feels it is a false read. I chose to wait a year. Now i am a 35 year old overwieght white male who has deceided to go back to college and my second semester started last week which was the same week of the decision about the heart tests. Well i have been having chest pains and sweating. When i lay down to sleep i can hear my heart pounding in my chest and i swear it is not beating correctly. Sometimes it gets so bad that i have to run outside or leave class. And in between these attacks i feel like i am on pins and needles. Do i call the cardiologist and inform him of this or does this sound like anexity and panic is back.

sarah
21-01-04, 13:36
Hiya George

Nice to meet you!
Your symptoms definately sound like mine when I get anxiety and panic.

The thing I would ask yourself is this.... when you say you have to run outside or leave class, do the feelings go away or get easier? I they do then its almost definately the panic.

However since you have been having trouble and dealings with the cardiologist, it cant hurt to call and ask his opinion.

Just remember, you have got over this before and you can do it again. Loads of us with panic get over it and then it comes back months or even years later. Its probably the worry about going back to college and the descision about the tests.

keep us posted on how you are getting on. And most of all think positive!!!!

love Sarah
xx

diana
21-01-04, 18:09
Hiya George,

Welcome aboard, so glad you found this site. What you are feeling sounds like (accute) anxiety to me, however I am not a doctor. Though I will tell you I too like you have spent hours and days in my local emergency room for the same exact thing. Actually have had the "CATHERTERIZATION" done, just to find out that I have a very common condition caled MVP, basically a stretched heart valve. which I have been told is nothing serious. So there is nothing wrong with checking with your doctor, but the symptoms you descibe are very relative to anxiety as well. Try to stay positive, like Sarah said you have beat this before, and you will this time, and now you have us as a support system. You can`t go wrong!!!! :). Just a bit more information for you, I am a 37 year old overweight white female, so I know how you feel. Take care George and keep posting to let us know how you are getting along.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
21-01-04, 22:21
Hi George ,

Sounds like anx and panic.

In class and bedtime are so common ..

Next time don't run out . Wait it out and just let it pass.

The catheter is very drastic - by all means have the stress test repeated to exclude thrombosis.

Did you lose any weight ?

Keep in touch with how you're doing .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...