PDA

View Full Version : Understanding PTSD

lindzanne
15-09-09, 19:51
Hi, I usually post on the Health Anxiety forum, but as I have been diagnosed with both PTSD and panic anxiety, I thought I would ask a few questions. I am sure this issue has been addressed but couldn't find it right off the bat. I don't know much about PTSD. My therapist from a while ago diagnosed me with that as a result of a very traumatic (both emotionally and physically) childhood and a violent first marriage. I definitely believe her diagnosis and it makes total sense. I believe my brother and sister are also suffering from it undiagnosed. I feel right now that I don't know where it fits into my anxiety or how to treat it, as I am still looking for affordable CBT. Does anyone who has experienced long-term trauma (like, 25 years) that led to their PTSD have any insight or advice, as opposed to just one traumatic event? Like I said, I still don't understand what it even means exactly. But do believe it is the root cause of my other anxiety and depression issues. Thanks in advance!
Lindsay

Purple Fish
08-10-09, 07:31
Hi there,

I haven`t experienced long term trauma but I suffer from PTSD after having an operation that didn`t go smoothly. My symptoms didn`t hit me until just over a year after!
I`ve had a great doctor who has treated my symptoms with Fluoxetine (Prozac) which I`ve been taking for two and a half years. I regulary see him once a month to report how I`m feeling and I`m being weaned off my medication! Try reading about your symptoms of PTSD, there are some articles on the left hand side of this website, just click on the link. This definately helped me!

Tanya x

Anxious_gal
10-10-09, 00:54
I think I may have PTSD, I had one main traumatic event that happened as a child so I developed claustrophobia and fear of being trapped in a room especially a room not on the ground floor, from that I also got a knowledge that men can be dangerous and violent.
then i had a few more things happen that reinforced all the phobias/fears.
so I do think one traumatic event + a few more can still cause PTSD.
if you remember how it was after world war one? well after one of them anyway soldiers started having PTSD and I'm sure they developed it from experiencing more than one traumatic event