PDA

View Full Version : Hello

jcr
24-10-05, 20:04
Hi I'm John. I recently went on holiday and I had what I presume to be some kind of panic attack. I thought people were talking about me and felt really paranoid. These feelings built up over three days and I couldn't sleep at night, the thoughts kept going round in my head and it got so I was scared to leave the hotel room. I couldn't seem to think about anything else. I told my girlfriend and she was very supportive. Since I've got back I've felt much better but really tired. I don't really want to take medication if it can be helped and I haven't seen my doctor yet. Has anybody got any advice on counselling for this kind of problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for listening.
John.

nomorepanic
24-10-05, 20:09
Welcome aboard John

Did you get any of the physical symptoms of panic or was it just a feeling of worry?

Start here - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps and see if you can relate to any of that.

Hope the website and forum helps.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

meatybuddy
24-10-05, 20:21
hi john

welcome to the forums theres lots of people here more than willing to help and give advice

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just finding it thats the hard part

seh1980
24-10-05, 21:15
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Meg
24-10-05, 21:27
You may be able to put it behind you and move on without any professional input.

See if you can't figure out what triggered it and if you can resolve it in your head logicaly and rationally do so.

If it continues to be a real difficulty then you can go and discuss with your doctor

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
24-10-05, 22:57
Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

3faces
25-10-05, 11:23
Hi John:D

Going on holiday can be pretty stressful for the best of us; you sometimes don't realise how much planning and worry you do beforehand. It could be that it was all just too much once you got on your way and we usually feel much better once we get back to our comfort zones (home). The important thing is to try not to anaylse this too much in your mind, try and put it behind you. Breathing exercises are great and you can get some very good relaxation CD's, books to help. I have to say, I wouldn't think you need medication for this but it is great that your talking about it and not bottling it up. Take care

Jem xxx

mazz
25-10-05, 14:33
hi john welcome to thr forum , lots of good advice and you will make friends who really understand along the way .good luck from mazz x

jcr
25-10-05, 15:48
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES AND THE ADVICE. ITS GOOD TO KNOW YOUR NOT ON YOUR OWN IN THESE SITUATIONS. IN REPLY TO NICOLA ABOUT HOW I FELT PHYSICALLY WELL I FELT LIKE MY HEAD WAS GOING TO EXPLODE AT TIMES, I WAS SWEATING REALLY BADLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND MY STOMACH FELT LIKE IT WAS IN KNOTS. I FELT MOST ANXIOUS WHEN THE SUN CAME UP AND I KNEW I WOULD HAVE TO VENTURE OUT AGAIN. IT WAS LIKE THE FEELINGS CONSUMMED ME AND I COULD'NT GET A GOOD THOUGHT INTO MY HEAD. IT WAS AS IF ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND WENT ON TOTALLY SEPERATE HOLIDAY'S IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. SHE WAS STOOD AT THE SIDE OF ME WHEN I HAD THESE PARANOID FEELINGS THAT PEOPLE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ME ( BASICALLY SLAGGING ME OFF) AND SHE HAS MUCH BETTER HEARING THAN ME AND SHE HEARD NOTHING. I TRIED TELLING MYSELF TO SNAP OUT OF IT BUT I COULD'NT SEEM TO BREAK THE FEELINGS OF NEGATIVATY. I WAS DRINKING QUITE HEAVILY ON THE FIRST 2 TO 3 DAYS OF THE HOLIDAY, WOULD THIS HAVE A PROFOUND AFFECT ON THINGS? SORRY FOR DUMPING MY RUBBISH LIKE THIS BUT I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED TO ME AND HOPEFULLY BY TALKING ABOUT IT IT MAY HELOP OTHERS AS WELL AS MYSELF THANKS FOR LISTENING JOHN.