PDA

View Full Version : really upset about dentist :(

mummy4
16-09-09, 11:52
:weep:
i need bit of work doing to my teeth (2 fillings) and was due to go today and my mum look after my kids but mum has been asked to work so had no one to look after kids so i cancelled on monday (was quite relieved i did not have to go tbh as dentist is a big fear of mine) i re booked on a day when my hubby is off work and also going to the dentist and my appointment is straight after his next month.
i have just had a call from my dentist, well the receptionist to say if i cancel that appointment next month my dentist will not see me again :ohmy: ! my dentist knows i suffer anxiety and knows how bad i am and this has just really knocked me now. i have to see consultant next week about having 4 teeth out under IV sedation where im so nervous and this im dreading too. just feel gutted at my dentist and realise shes not as sympathetic as i think she should be. really wanna change dentists now but im an NHS patient and those dentists are hard to find :(

sandy35
16-09-09, 15:38
Hi just to say that I know exactly what you are going through as I have only been going back to the dentist for a year and in june I went for my appointment and they found a filling in my wisdom tooth. I had to then book another appointment to get the filling done and I was absolutely petrified in the couple days leading up to the appointment as I knew I had to have the injection in the gum and I am petrified of needles. I had it done though without sedation and I didn't feel faint or anything but my mouth felt numb afterwards and my mum had to come with me into the room to hold my hand so maybe your husband can come in with you for support. You can also see if your dentist are able to sedate you if you are having it done or if they can't if they can refer you to a clinic that can. Please see my thread "fear of having an injection at the dentist" under my threads. I hope this helps.

Bill
17-09-09, 03:09
For years since I was very young I was absolutely terrified of the dentists so just refused to go until one day I lost half a tooth and was left with no choice but to get it seen to.

I hated the thought of having an injection so when I had the tooth done I refused to have one. He told me that when the pain got too much, to hold up my hand and he would stop. He drilled 3 screws into my gum but my fear of injections was greater than my fear of the pain. Eventually he created the lost half of tooth with filling and the job was done. I wouldn't suggest that anyone did the same as me though.

However, the experience did help me to overcome my fear of the dentists but since then the fear of experiencing that pain again has become greater than my fear of injections.

Since then I have had various fillings, a crown fitted and a tooth removed but all after having an injection.

In the past month I have become a regular visitor as I've had to have alot of work done. I do still feel anxious about going but once I'm the chair I use my own technique that helps me relax.

Today I had preparation work for another crown to be fitted but because the root is so deep and decay had to be removed, he gave me 3 injections.

What I've found has helped me is to close my eyes just before he starts work so I don't see the needle coming. I focus on his instructions but when he's working, I listen to the radio he has on or take my mind to a happier place such as laying on my bed or sitting in the garden. When I do become conscious of where I am, I feel my stomach tense up so I focus on relaxing it by letting it "flop" which keeps my body relaxed.

I never feel any pain. In fact I often almost fall asleep because the chair feels so comfortable.

I never thought I would ever reach a stage where I would think of going to the dentists as just an inconvenience but I actually told him today I almost enjoy it because I never feel anything and I find his chair so relaxing. I find it's almost like laying on my bed listening to the radio because that's the picture I keep in my mind while he's working.

I do realise how terrifying it can be but I feel the fear can be overcome once we realise there's nothing actually to fear but the fear we create in our own minds based on memories of bad experiences in our past.

I think sometimes it's the fear of "feeling fear" that makes anything we're afraid of such an ordeal. Once we learn how to keep relaxed, often we become no longer afraid of what previously we considered an ordeal. :hugs:

mummy4
17-09-09, 14:27
thanks so much for your kind replies.
i have to go on oct 9th and hubby will be there (but so will our 2 children) but hopefully that should give me something to focus on.
i was just upset at the dentist knowing i have an anxiety problem and telling me if i dont have this work done i will have to leave her practice.
i am scared of the injection think im more scared of the side effetcs it may cause than anything. i have had needle before but this was about 4 years ago and i did not feel half as bad as i do now. cant remember much about it tbh.
bill i think you have done fantastic well doen you should be very proud of yourself...and your right.....about the fear of 'feeling fear'x

Mamfa85
17-09-09, 16:24
Just wanted to give you my love as i am terrifed of the dentist and im in pain waiting for a hospital letter to go in.Remember once it is done we will be better.My dentist isnt very sympathetic and i know how you feel but like me you probely cant afford to go private,trust that although they are not as kind and understasnding as wed like them to be they know what they are doing.I wish you all the best and pm me if you need to
x

sandy35
17-09-09, 18:20
i am scared of the injection think im more scared of the side effetcs it may cause than anything. i have had needle before but this was about 4 years ago and i did not feel half as bad as i do now. cant remember much about it tbh.

I think that is what I am most scared about is the side effects as I am scared that the adrenalin is going to make me feel feeling dizzy and faint and I worry that the needle is going to hurt. I did not feel dizzy or faint though and they put numbing gel on my gum before they did the injection.