PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a family history?

Mad Medic
16-09-09, 12:12
Just interested to know if anyone has a family history of anxiety/depression?

I only ask because I'm having real trouble with social anxiety, and my younger brother has just been started on Mirtzapine and Psychiatry sessions because of self-harm/attempted suicide.

My Mum says that she had similar sounding problems when she was about my age and did go on anti-depressants for a time.

Cheers.

PanicOver!!
16-09-09, 15:10
Hi

Yes my mum suffered anxiety and agoraphobia for years and i have been told it is passed down

JaneC
23-09-09, 22:41
My mum has suffered from panic attacks and my dad was a long-term user of valium, so obviously had probs. Lucky me :yesyes:

Amanda_27
24-09-09, 00:05
My mum suffered from panic attacks since she was a teenager, and developed agrophobia a few years later. My brother has anxiety problems and drinks to block it out, my sister also has anxiety problems and so do I. My sister has a different father to me and my brother so looks like mummy passed it on, lol. I have three children of my own and I am terrified that they would end up with this, I really am. My doctor told me that anxiety is absolutely nothing to do with genetics and running through families but cannot explain why me, my brother, sister and mum all have it! I have also heard stories from other people who say they have had it "passed on" from a parent/s

Fran74
24-09-09, 10:04
My gradma had a nervous breakdown years ago , my dad suffered from anxiety due to his heavy drinking...

JohnLuke300
24-09-09, 10:09
I have social phobia as does my grandfather. Other members of my family have exhibited signs of anxiety over the years, but theirs was never chronic.