PDA

View Full Version : Today I just resigned from my job and feel awful

mystic3178
16-09-09, 12:42
Hi Folks..

Following on from my previous posts regarding my anxiety and stress brought on by my part time job in the rescue services I finally plucked up the courage and resigned.

A few months after my burnout/stress/anxiety things really improved. A month ago, I got a general call from my boss and in course of conversation he asked if I had made any decision on returning. I indicated that I would return at end of September.

Since then, I've basically gone through hoops in trying to make the right decision by weighing up all the pro's and con's. At the end of it all, I decided to resign becasue I felt that a period down the line, I'd be back to square one and probably worst of than I originally was becasue not a lot really has changed within the team. Certain attutudes are still the same.

Having just informed my boss of my decision, why do I feel so crap?? :weep:

Why having weighted up the odds and made the decison do I feel that I made the wrong decision??

:shrug:

Mystic3178

bellabessnjet
16-09-09, 14:59
Because your human! No matter how much you think about it only time will tell if it was the right decision, however being in a job you hate is horrible (been there) and although maybe in some areas wasn't the 'right' thing for me to do I know I couldn't have carried on in that job. Your health and well-being is worth more than any job. Hope you feel better soon.
Angela

sheena
16-09-09, 15:04
A few years ago I burnt out with stress, anxiety and depression with my job as a social worker.

Like you, I thought about going back but knew that somewhere down the line I would just burn out again. So I resigned and it was the best thing for me to do. I know that I just cannot put myself under that pressure again.

sandy35
16-09-09, 15:24
I have resigned as well from one or two jobs in the past due to stress and anxiety as I knew I could not carry on working there. I hope you feel better soon and it sounds like you made the right decision if the job was causing you extreme stress and anxiety.

Thumbelina
16-09-09, 15:42
You can always get another job when you are reaady or maybe take the same one.

When you want to work - you will find it.
Only from my personal experience i must admit that having job helps as it it disciplines you more and doesnt let you be all over the place all the time.

Though pressure at work sometimes doesnt help either. Tehrefore its good to enjoy your work.

Good luck

mystic3178
18-09-09, 10:27
Hi Folks..

Thanks for all the replies. One common thing I have noticed from speaking to people over the past few days is 'Your health is more important than the job. The job will still be there when you are long gone only someone else will be doing it'. One quote my father used to use was that 'Graveyards are full of indespensible people'.

This is where I really miss my dad. I could have sounded him out but alas, he died from a Heart Attack nearly 20 years go - 2 years after he retired from a Maritime Service. I was in my early 20's.

Mystic3178

krog
18-09-09, 18:26
Hi there,

Just posting you to congratulate you on having the strength of will to resign from your job.

It takes a lot of courage to take such a drastic step and I am sure in time you will realise that and it will help in your long term recovery.

Take care,
krog.

Lion King
18-09-09, 19:00
Hi mystic,

Well done on taking this step, your health has got to come first! I did the same and feel much better for this.

Keep Strong

LK

Lee.
18-09-09, 19:12
Hello Mystic.
I was meant to go to the doctors this morning and didn't go that slight lapse made me feel guilty and that's just minor. Cos we suffer a bit we exaggerate and dwell on everything.
You obviously felt things weren't right at work so you made the right decision. Get well first.

Madeleine
18-09-09, 19:35
Hello Mystic,

I think you have been incredibly brave to make this descision. And if you don't mind me saying, the right descision. A person with your sensitivity and consideration will be able to find a job easily but only when you feel well enough to do so. Very wise words of your fathers I must say.

I hope you get better really soon.

Madeleine.x

mystic3178
18-11-09, 19:49
Hi Folks..

My sincere apologies for not replying to all the posts sooner. Things have been a bit of a roller coaster ride with ups and downs.

Over time, it has proved in a way that I made the right decision - because I haven't really missed it as bad as I thought i would. One issue I have at the moment is from a social point of view but I'm getting there.

Many thanks for the encouragement from everyone.

Mystic3178