PDA

View Full Version : Smear test (women only)

Under~The~Stars
16-09-09, 14:01
Going for my first smear test today. Really really anxious about it! :weep: Have cancelled it twice before. Any advice on how to relax? I'd actually rather go to the dentist than get this done, and I HATE going to the dentist! :weep: AAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Thanks in advance.

nineteen
16-09-09, 14:08
ive never had one, so dont knw what its like, but i hear its quick and easy, u shud b fine and think of it as nothing more than just a checkup, that is all it is.

do u apply to have these? or are u sent a letter? because im thinking i should have had one by now, im 19 is that right?

keleb0709
16-09-09, 14:13
Hi Louise.
I am 32 and have had many in my time. The first is the scariest but also the easiest as you work yourself up so much expecting it to be sooo bad and then realise it is actually really quick and painless. It's the ones you go for after that are worse because you remember it being not so bad and go in so relaxed that you forget how exposed you have to be!!
Just remind yourself that some things you just have to do and that's the way it is! Tell yourself that you'll treat you to something real nice when it's done so you have something to look forward to.
Don't back out this time, we all have to do it and you're no different!
Let us know how great you feel after :)

cupcakes2009
16-09-09, 14:19
Hiya i have had 2 so far and im 27 and im due one again next month, there fine and they dont hurt well it didnt hurt me one bit :D the more relaxed you are the easier it is was what i was told. Can someone go with you? my SIL came with me and held my hand behind the curtain lol. Good luck xx

Under~The~Stars
16-09-09, 16:15
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I've been... Not good! :weep: Couldn't get it done. Have to go back in a month to get it done. Long story! Don't want to go into too many details, but I'm really annoyed with myself for not going sooner. These things really are so important. And even though I didn't get the smear test today, I did find something else out. It's strange how things work out! If I hadn't gone today, I'd have never known what the nurse has told me. Just can't believe I put it off for so long... So, anyone out there who was in the same boat as me and terrified to go, please please just go! It's so important! Even though I'm nervous about going back in a month, I know that it's not going to be that bad. It's the embarrassment that gets to me... But it actually doesn't last as long as you'd think. When the nurse initially sees what she needs to see :blush: , there's no going back, and they put you at ease. It's honestly not that bad... I was absolutely dreading it, but I feel relieved that I've been now. And yes I have to go through it all again in a month, but I will go, and I'll get it done.

do u apply to have these? or are u sent a letter? because im thinking i should have had one by now, im 19 is that right?

I'm sure you get a letter when you turn 20. I'm 22 now, and wish I had gone when I was 20! Don't put it off like me. When you get the chance go for it :hugs:

Stressed32
17-09-09, 01:24
ok, I get them every year and have since I was 15...now I am 32. If the Dr. is quick, it won't be so bad. Just take deep breaths and close your eyes and imagine you are at the dentist....LOL...seriously....imagine you are any place other than where you are. It won't take but 20 seconds at the most. Try not to go around your period because paps right before when your all crampy and tender SUCK! GOing on your period is very embarassing. Good luck....no big deal....I'd rather this than my dentist.