PDA

View Full Version : Training Course and I'm Petrified

Marmalade
24-10-05, 22:01
I'm now about to start a new job and I've been told they want to send me on a 4 day training course in Manchester and I'm absolutly petrified of going. I live in Norwich and have been slowly and surely increasing my confort zone and felt I was doing ok. I had to go see a customer with my boss who lived about 15miles away and though I was scared I went and everything was ok, my boss would be coming on the course with me is really supportive and is trying to convince me that this is just the next step but I feel it's too far. I explained I don't feel safe on motorways and he said ok we'll go by train and I know thats really good of him to put himself out for me but the added pressure that I'll be letting him down is making it worse. I really don't know what to do everytime I think of the course I feel physically sick.
Any ideas???
Please ........

Meg
24-10-05, 22:52
Several things

What really are the issues here - crunch time .. the travelling or the being away or being on the course ?
What do you fear might happen ?

When is it ? Do you have time to do a dry run with family ?

I took a trusted friend with me to one city I had to go to for a couple of days for work. They did sightseeing and I trained and we met for supper and a natter in the evenings. She left with my agreement after the second day as I had settled in so well.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Marmalade
25-10-05, 10:48
I feel the actual course will be easy though I've convinced myself that I'll be so anxious I won't be able to concentrate - I know thats not true because I use concentrating on things (puzzles etc) as a way of lowering my anxiety. The problem is the travelling and the staying away part. My husband is making it worse because he doesn't want me to go away with my boss (who's male) by telling me I won't cope. I think I'm having a bit of a seesaw problem because a part of me really wants to go to prove that I can but the other part of me is saying that my husband is right and I won't cope. I'm getting really confused. My boss feels that I just need to be pushed into doing it and that I'll be fine (he is very understanding as he has a few anxiety issues himself )
Even typing this I'm confusing myself.
I supose the fear is having panic attacks in front of strangers, I'm in sales and have to appear confident and having a panic attack will prove to my new employers that I'm not.

desperate
25-10-05, 11:44
Hi marmalade,

Whatever you decide good luck to you.

It is a toughie, it'd go for it if you can but it is upto you at the end of the day.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!