PDA

View Full Version : melatonin and kava kava - anyone tried?

jos
24-10-05, 22:58
I've recently done some saliva tests for melatonin and found to be low at night.
Has anyone tried melatonin for sleep problems?

Also reading about Kava Kava as an anti anxiety natural med - said to be as good as some benzos without the addiction and mental fog - anyone tried it

neither are sold in the uk but easily available online and not expensive

cheers jos

nomorepanic
24-10-05, 23:03
I have not tried Melatonin cos I daren't but my mum swears by it and it helped her sleep after jetlag.

Kava Kava is banned here as you will know so I have never tried it.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

jos
25-10-05, 17:15
thanks nicola

read about low dose melatonin with depression - using zopiclone now and then but still only gives a couple of extra hours so keen to try something more natural

can get kava kava on the internet - i need to look at why it was banned - something to do with liver toxicity i seem to remember

will let you know how it goes

jos

Meg
26-10-05, 08:49
Yes 3 patients who were taking kava kava in Europe allegedly died of drug induced liver failure.

Lots of questions as to whether these people also self medicated their anxiety with copious amounts of alcohol too..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
28-10-05, 11:34
This is an interesting post.

Kava kava is absolutely the only tablet I have taken that truly did help with my anxiety and panic attacks.

I thought the stuff was fantastic, then sods of all sods it was taken off the market and I am now too scared to take it until it gets the all clear.

It really was worth every penny.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Laura-Jane
28-10-05, 19:13
I've been trying a new type of milk for my sleep problems. It's called Night Time milk and has apparently got higher levels of melatonin in it.

I've been drinking it for a week now and my sleep has been improving but I don't know whether it's because of the milk or I'm just learning to relax more!

Laura xxx

Meg
28-10-05, 23:40
Gosh, we had a post about this about 2 years ago and we all went out and bought it from Waitrose - Taken from cows milked when they were sleepy if I remember right.

Think it was a gem from Emily...

Hope it is helping you Laura.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

jos
02-11-05, 00:48
I have ordered some melatonin 0.3mg from the US- as recommended as a physiological dose in one study - my melatonin was minimal at night as measured by saliva test - won't go higher (most recommend 1 to 3mg) unless no effect.

Also ordered some Kava kava and will try cautiously - completely off the alcohol for last 6 months so should be safe enough

will let you know - quite excited about the melatonin as the whole thing spiralled down badly with major jet lag and no sleep for 9 days back in jan - and sleep has always been difficult since - that and my low levels male me hopeful that this could be a real help

cheers jos