PDA

View Full Version : How long has depression kept people off work??

bassplayer
16-09-09, 23:32
Hi,
I'm into week 5 of Citalopram 20mg, this is the first time I've took tablets.
They don't seem to be being much help yet but I'll give it time.
I'm worried though cos I've now been off work 5 weeks with no sign of improving, I had originally intended to maybe just be off for 2 weeks, how naive of me!
I worry because I was off work with anxiety and depression from September 08 to January this year, I was refusing tablets as I was really scared of them and thought I could get better myself.
When I went back in January I wasn't really ready but felt I should go back after being off so long and as a result I've struggled on all year and ended up being even worse and finally given in to the idea of tablets.
Have I been off work an excessively long time compared to others with depression and anxiety or is it normal to be off so long?
How much time did everyone else have to be off work?
Thanks.

Coni
17-09-09, 07:34
Hi bassplayer,

I was off work about four years ago....like you I kept going until I couldnt bear it any longer. I initially thought just afew days to rest would help...then maybe a couple of weeks....but in all I was off for seven months. I have to say though my mum died in the middle of that time so that sort of compounded things a bit.

What I would say is everyone is different and you need to take as much time as is necessary for you to feel better and ready to go back.

Do you have an occupational health department who could maybe support you too? I found my occ helath department really helpful.

5 weeks isnt that long either to be on antidepressants and you are probably not yet feeling the full benefits of this so I would say take your time, look after yourself and dont pressure yourself into going back if you are not ready.

Good luck

Coni XX

sarah jayne
17-09-09, 08:18
I was off work a couple of years ago for 10 months.

Hereford Al
17-09-09, 14:44
I was off for almost spot on 12 months. Citalopram definately helped me (rather than the previous medication I was taking) and within 3 months of starting Citalopram, I was back at work. So, in effect, I wasted the first 9 months I was off having been on the wrong type of med thanks to my crappy GP.

Coni is definately correct about the Occupational Health thing, as they will be able to give you a phased return slowly building up your hours back to normal, rather than jumping straight back in full-time.

A word of advice, please don't try to rush yourself or force the issue RE going back to work. So long as you are covered by a Doctors certificate, they will have a hard time getting rid of you or anything like that.

Luci-loo
17-09-09, 16:13
I've been off work for 2 years now with anxeity and depression but mine has escalted to where I can barely leave the house.

I forced myself back to work after 2 months and only lasted a day or 2 and again after 8 months but only last 4 days. My work wasn't very supportive though and I always felt forced back as I got calls every 2 weeks "to see how I was doing". The main issue I had was getting a staggered return to work as I felt giving my 3 half days wasn't in any way a staggered return- esp when someone else who was off with depression after a marriage break up (they were off for 8 weeks) had their return to work staggered over a period of 1 month.

I think the key is to not get yourself worked up about returning to work- go when you feel ready and try going in for maybe a half day to get used to it. After working for 3 hours I was shattered because I hadn't be doing anything for months.

KK77
17-09-09, 16:51
It's so difficult having depression/anxiety and on top of that worry about having to work and survive financially. I think it's important to take things one step at a time and concentrate on getting better first and then deal with life's practicalities when you're strong enough, otherwise it'll just make your condition worse.

I've been on and off work now for the past 3 years and although l may struggle financially l've learnt to put my mental wellbeing before my job. l don't think any job is worth descending into a black depression.

:)

bassplayer
17-09-09, 20:44
Thankyou so much for your replies, I don't feel as bad now about being off work, you've helped me to put things into perspective and realise that my well being is more important than what anyone at work may be thinking, you talk a lot of sense, I had been thinking of forcing myself back to work but now realise (much to my husband's relief) that it would be the wrong thing to do ........ thankyou!