PDA

View Full Version : constant anxiety about taking medication

henri
24-10-05, 23:33
hey everyone,
as some of you know, i have mainly overcome my panic. but i still have this niggling issue regarding medication, whereby the thought of even taking nurofen for a headache stresses me out. i worry that i might have some bizarre reaction to the pills, that they might make me stop breathing, that my body might not be able to handle them.
i know deep down that this is absolutely ridiculous, especially as i used to drug myself up left right and centre! but i can't help worrying about it, and when i've got a headache or tummy ache or whatever, i start worrying about having to take pills for it. it's ridiculous but i can't change the way i think.
any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated!
henri x

mum2four
24-10-05, 23:40
I know what you mean i have been like this i was little I can remember my mum trying convince me to take a sleeping tablet so I could sleep better but i was so stubborn about i saw my mum taking so med's and i didn't want to be like i still like taking med's. I took me 7 hour's of thinking about it after i got a headach the other day to convince my self just to take 2 tablet's to get rid of the headache. I use to refuse point blank and totaly freak out if some push even a little bit. The thing i do is try to convince my i will be a better parent to my kids fi i do tyake the med's and feel better. Nothing els has any effect on how I feel about taking med's.

boy
25-10-05, 00:09
I'm similar to that, in that I worry things won't clear up on taking the required medication.

Quirky
25-10-05, 10:44
I hate taking any medication too, as I worry about side effects from any meds. I won't even take paracetamol unless I have to. I do have genuine concerns though as having ME makes me sensitive to medications.

Trev
25-10-05, 13:56
Know what you mean on this one. I had the exact same and it was also ridiculous when I think what we used to get up to at college.

All I do now is just accept that's how it is. The less of a deal of this one I make of it the better. If the headache......or more likely hangover!!!.......isn't that bad then I just ride it out.

Sorry can't suggest anything other than just accepting that's how it is and forgetting about it.

Cheers,
Trev

henri
25-10-05, 21:15
thanks for your replies everyone, glad i'm not the only one feeling like this! xx

Piglet
26-10-05, 17:20
I'm totally the same henri - I take the tablet, then stare at myself for a few hours to see if anything happens and if it doesn't (which it mainly hasn't - not in an incredible hulk sort of a way anyway) I decide its ok and then I move onto to something else.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
27-10-05, 13:19
Henri

Firstly do you really need a headache or tummy pill. Mostly we don't. We're just used to a very comfortable life and with any physical angst from our bodies we can reach for a box ..

Which is worst for you and if you do need meds you can adapt and use your CBT techniques.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

justamess
27-10-05, 23:26
Im the same way... i know I need anxiety meds to help me through this but I refuse to take them. NOT EVEN TRY IT. because im in fear for some reason!!

mum2four
27-10-05, 23:49
My fear of medication was reduced when i finaly admitted to my self that my kids were missing out the mum I wanted to be for them. I decided that I just had to find the strength in side to me beleaive in my self enought to know when I was unable to cope with my symptom that i could just push threw the fear to take the med pain realeif. anit biotic, and anti depressant any sort of med's even vitamin's and iron supplement's. I would 1% refuse to talk med's unless someone was screaming at me to just get over it and take them so I could feel better. When I almost jumped out of moving car to excape my anxiiety over the new's on the radio at age 20 I knew I was no longer in control and i scared my self so much that fear of med's seem like no fear at all compared to feeling of knowing I got so scared about what i now know to be a SPIKE just flashing threw my head that i went to the dr and asked for help and he put me of Zoloft. I now know that the spike was not really about what i was going to do but a simple every day accurance that everyone has but my i had got to point of having so many spike and i feared giving in to them and just doing them to get rid of them. I know since being on the med luvox(flavoxamine meleate) that the spike and the anxiety that go hand in hand with them can be control I feel so much better but it me 27 year's to finaly tell my dr that i was scared of everything in life. I been scared of everything since I can remember and was a very difficult child/person to live with or talk to. I'm feeling better every day and I kinda feel like my whole life was a dream and just waking up from it now.

You have to find a reason to live and med's may be your answer to liveing again fully in the near future. Please try to find a reason to get past you fear so that you make a choice based on what you want and not what you fear.

Peru83
28-10-05, 07:34
Hi Henri,

I too am like that, when my GP said that they wanted to put me onto medication I said no. My mum explained that even through growing up I would suffer the pain of a head ache rather than take medication. He asked me why and my answer was simple 'The side effects'. He then told me that by law all medication companies must put on the 'might happen' situation, so that they are not liable in the 'just in case' situation. These side effects are things that may or in some cases may not of happend to some one, some where in the world. So really when you consider how many people in the world take medication and that soo little experiance anything. He told me that from now on when I get medication I have to throw the leaflet in the bin cause if I don 't know the side effects then I don't have something to worry my self over.

I have been on Citalopram for 5 months nearly 6 and couldn't tell you one side effect and you know what? I have haven't experianced one either.

I hope this has helped.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

jue69
28-10-05, 18:37
Before I take any medication i scrutinize the pamphlet that comes with it. I read and re-read all the side effects and convince myself that I will encounter every single one and plenty more besides. If i feel that taking the tablets is totally necessary, then I do take it and wait for the consequences. So far i don't think i have ever experienced any side effects, but have spent hours and hours waiting for them to develop.

jue.