PDA

View Full Version : when does insomnia qualify as an emergency needing hospitalization?

mapmaker
17-09-09, 21:05
At what point does it become an emergency and need to go to the hospital from lack of sleep from insomnia? My quality of life is suffering from this insomnia. Sensitive to sound, difficulty controlling my emotions, anxiety, eyes are burning, concerned about driving, difficulty enjoying my usual activities. My mind is screaming for sleep...for rest..and its not coming.

Maj
17-09-09, 21:11
Have you been to see your g.p. about this? Or tried any medicines, etc.? You must feel exhausted. My son suffers from insomnia sometimes and has started taking Kalms. He swears that if he takes them an hour before he goes to bed they definitely help him sleep. He was sceptical about them at first! The only side affect he seems to have is vivid dreams. I would see my g.p. though if it is a chronic problem. There must be something they can do for this so that you can get some rest.
Take care
Myra

kazzie
17-09-09, 21:51
Hi Ya:)

While I can sympathise dont think its a hospital job!!!

Speak to GP and see what they recomend maybe??

Have you tried... boring I know but....rescue remedy, lavender oil on pillow, horlicks, camomile tea, kalms nightime pills????

Just a few ideas for you

Kaz x x x:hugs:

mapmaker
18-09-09, 00:45
I've tried benzo's 4 kinds on xanax now... being tapered off. I started trazodone 3 days ago..and it didn't make a difference in my sleeping pattern. relaxing 2 hrs before bed each night to unwind. listening to soft music or meditation tapes. I'm using essential oils right now. The trazodone is making my anxiety rise higher than it should be right now.
I have tried chamomile tea..but it doesn't make a difference. I tell you I need something very powerful to litterally knock me out for the night. *thats why I took benzo's so I could sleep*
I called my gp 3 hrs ago. I haven't heard back from them. They are notorious about not responding. I saw her 3 days ago..my next appointment is in 1 1/2 weeks... thats a very long time to go on 3 or 4 hrs sleep a night..and watching your anxiety level rise from an antidepressant while coming off a benzo.

amandaj
18-09-09, 11:01
hi i dont mean to be flipant but people survive on a lot less sleep than 3 or 4 hours id love to get that amount of sleep,id give the trazadone more than 3 nights to work ,i used to be on them for a year and a half they do work eventually like all meds they take time what dosage are you on??

gtrgrl3369
18-09-09, 14:43
When I was at my worst with anxiety I literally didnt sleep for 4 days. My mind would not shut down. The best way to get sleep is not going to bed until you are ready, giving your mind 10 minutes to race through everything it needs to and then start deep breathing when you lay down. Once you start deep breathing you should be relaxing every muscle as you do it. 3 to 4 hours is not a lot but at least it is something. I bet your mind is tired from the anxiety instead of the sleep, as anxiety can wear your whole body down until you feel like collapsing. No sleep medication is going to work unless you can try and relax your mind. Take care...hope you get a great nights rest soon

mapmaker
19-09-09, 19:35
I tend to over react to anxiety.. I can handle pain in my body from my IBS.....but emotional turmoil and sleep deprivation drive me emotionally crazy. Literally. All I want is to be better so I can resume my life. Sleeping more at night will help. That's mainly what Ive been asking my doctor, to help me sleep so I'm functional enough to think more clearly and work on my therapy.

Isn't that what we all want? To get better..and resume our lives with less anxiety and no more panic? (excuse the pun).

maxster
22-09-09, 17:25
Hi
I was where you were a few years ago and unfortunately I got worse and worse. I started off with bad sleep that was due to stress. I then stressed about sleeping and so the spiral went on. You can stop this now if you decide, you simply need to let go. How did I let go? I became more mindfull and practiced meditation. All the stress and anxiety you are experiencing is because you are trying too hard to sleep. This just causes further tension. Somehow you need to accept what sleep you get and relax. Just really accept it. Once you start to do this and you take the attitude if I sleep thats great, if i don't then thats ok too. I know exactly how you feel. I'm 100% better now and part of that recovery was not trying to become the person you were nit trying to get better and focusing on what else is going on in your life if that makes sense. Don't do what I did and waste three years of your life going from dr to dr and book to book looking for a miracle cure. It doesn't exist, you have the power within yourself to heal, simply through loving kindness towards yourself and acceptance:)

hope that helps
Max

mapmaker
24-09-09, 20:15
I've been working on mindfulness.. on focusing on how my body feels to give less power to the anxiety.. and the fear of having nocturnal panic attacks return. I believe that was how I got to sleep last night finally after an hour..and several hot flashes due to anxiety.. I did deep breathing.. releasing my thoughts. and doing thought stop. I got to sleep and I feel better today for awhile. I'll do more of it tonight too.

josezolinski
06-11-09, 12:33
Just like the trance song, "I can’t get no sleep". That is how I feel every night when I get home from work. I do customer service and after 8 hours of listening to idiots scream at me; I usually go home eat watch spike tv and try to go to bed. Well, that does not work to well. So I Tried G- Monster (http://www.narcomundo.com/legal-drugs/anti-anxiety-drugs/g-monster/)from narcomundo.com. I took one serving; and some time after I was out like a light. I really worked.

http://www.narcomundo.com/legal-drugs/anti-anxiety-drugs/g-monster/

sebastien
06-11-09, 19:02
how long has it been your insomnia?

I have been on can't sleep for 2 weeks....

I take sleep aids it works... but im losing my mind when i try to sleep without them.....GRR!!!!!

Im seeing my doctor in 3 days but it seems for EVER!!!

i know your feeling trust ME!!

NoPoet
07-11-09, 23:58
Hi mapmaker, my dad suffered several months of insomnia this year and it's a wonder he was able to function! His was caused by a combination of medication for oesophagus problems and the actual pain of his poorly oesophagus. However as time went by he gradually started sleeping for longer each night.

If sleep medication isn't helping you then I am 100% certain that something else is going on. Most likely you are either taking a medication which is provoking insomnia, or there are physical factors (not enough exercise, poor "sleep hygeine") or emotional factors (stress, frustration, anxiety etc).

Sleep hygeine means everything to do with going to bed. Go to bed at the same time each day. Make sure you are comfortable and relaxed. try copying relaxing mp3s onto your mp3 player and listen to them while you lay back with your eyes closed. Do not go to bed if you are not tired.

Don't use your bedroom for anything other than sleeping. Cut down on caffeine (DO NOT go cold turkey) and don't eat or exercise before bed.

Make a list of all the things you need to do then sort them into order of priority. Do the most important tasks first. This will certainly help you to reduce stress and it can teach you a lot about time management and organisation.

30 minutes' gentle exericse like walking round the block or simply walking up and downstairs until you feel slightly out of breath qualifies as exercise. Not only can this help you sleep, it has so many health benefits and can reduce stress, anxiety and depression.

Danath
08-11-09, 00:14
have you recently started on an antidepressant?