PDA

View Full Version : Living with panic attacks...

wavey
18-09-09, 00:12
Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop a quick message in - haven't looked on here for quite a while...

Everyone on here is having the same feelings - no one is going mad - you are not alone.

Here's why: a panic attack is simply adrenalin surging through the body. Adrenalin is needed by everyone in the world in 'fight or flight' situations e.g. if we are about to be put into what we perceive to be a dangerous situation (parachute jump, public speech, jump out of the way of a speeding car - add your own scenario). In these situations we don't notice the 'panic attack' feeling.

The problem arises when the adrenalin surges through the body at a time when we are not in danger. This normally results in us paying attention to the feelings in our body and asking what's wrong with ourselves which in turn leads to another wave of adrenalin and so the cycle starts.

Why do 'panic attacks' occur when we are not in danger? The main reasons I have found are; lack of sleep, illness, stress, hangover & lack of food.

The main thing to remember is that we need adrenalin to survive - the trick is to un-learn being scared of it and re-learn how to live with it.

A great way to do this is with knowledge (read as much as you can about panic attacks and their causes). Also, next to time you start feeling edgy, start asking yourself what is causing it. Is it a lack of sleep, illness, lack of food etc.

Realise what the reason is before it spirals into the cycle of panic attack/what's happening to me/panic attack/what's happening to me etc.

Good luck to everyone on here - you can and will get through the anxiety. I had panic attacks for 20 years and am now living my life like everyone else. I still feel panic (but only when I need it).

Take care,
David :yesyes:

xleannexwrightx
18-09-09, 09:27
Thanks for this post hun, i find aswell when i have lack of sleep or food it really hits me...even if im not stressed, so this has cleared it up for me. Im starting to deal with them a bit more now, but still throws me off board a bit now and again. I have extreme exhaustion, as my sleeping has never been great...but since having panic attack at night i dont sleep...just feel a zombie. So im glad youve cleared up you can get more panic when your tierd, Many Thanks hun xxx

junie7
18-09-09, 19:00
Really good to hear you're reassuring words David.
I've only been having panic attacks for two weeks and the first two attacks I had all rational thought went out of the window. However I do think I'm controlling them a little better although I still find them very scary and am still can't convince myself I'm not about to have a heart attack.
On the positive side I have had a few days within the last two weeks when I've felt absolutely brimming with health and vitality, this is all due to the copious amounts of water, herbal teas and fruit and vitamins I've been taking.

Take care,

Junie

marchant
20-09-09, 13:22
'A great way to do this is with knowledge (read as much as you can about panic attacks and their causes). Also, next to time you start feeling edgy, start asking yourself what is causing it. Is it a lack of sleep, illness, lack of food etc.

Realise what the reason is before it spirals into the cycle of panic attack/what's happening to me/panic attack/what's happening to me etc.'

David,

A great posting. I have coped with anxiety and panic for over 20 years and the above are the most difficult.
Sometimes you know what is causing the problem but this is life and things happen when least expected.

Catching anxiety before it spirals into panic is great, it has to be a learnt technique that needs practise, it's so natural the fight/flight response.

Steve

kate1
20-09-09, 17:57
I suffer from panic, had to face a 13 hour flight to Penang. Im a member of a forum fear of flying, and the guy that runs it is a pilot, hes is very good. He said about diaphragmatic breathing (may have spelt that wrong) Basically it stops adrenolin flying around the body, and it really does work.

wavey
27-09-09, 17:57
Really pleased to see that my post has helped a couple of you.

To re-iterate what Kate1 says about breathing - it really is the No.1 key to re-learning how to live with the adrenalin surges of panic attacks. You can simply take a deep breath, breathe out very slowly and you will notice the heart rate start to slow and the feeling of anxiety begin to subside.

Do this a few times and you can actually start to pinpoint the surge of the adrenalin and when it subsides. Practice it, along with learning what it is that makes you panic in the first place, and you can then catch the panic before it even begins. You will start taking control of your anxiety, putting it into perspective and getting your life back to normal.

Be prepared for the surges of panic to re-appear from time to time because - adrenalin is a natural reaction of the body.

Just remember not to be frightened and overawed by the feelings - ask yourself what caused them (stess, tiredness, medication, hangover, illness etc. etc.) do your breathing - carry on with your life.

Hope this helps - good luck everyone. :yesyes:

take care,
David