PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety focusing on my children

Mable
25-10-05, 22:58
Hello Friends,

I am often worried about my own health, and any symptom that I get is usually the sign of something life-threatening, and it is always hard for me to accept that it may not be.

However, one of the worst things about health anxiety for me is worrying about the health of my children. For example, my daughter has recently been diagnosed with a benign dermoid on her leg. We first noticed it 6-12 months ago, and the GP then recommended leaving it. It is a hardish lump about the size of my thumbnail, but with swelling surrounding this under the skin. It looks pretty ucky, and is a little sensitive to touch. She is due to have it removed in a couple of weeks.

I went to the GP about it again this morning, but he again confirmed that it was nothing to worry about, even with it hurting a little. This evening, I thought it looked bigger, with more redness and swelling, so now I have decided to ring the surgeon tomorrow morning and ask if we can bring the op forward, and what does he think about these symptoms.

The likelyhood is that the doctors are right (the surgeon has already seen her and said the lump is benign). But I just think, how do they know without analysing the tissue? I hate being like this because I think I cause unnecessary worry and stress to my daughter, and I am a bad role model. I don't want my children to suffer from anxiety too! However, I can't help thinking the worst, I even thought what if it's cancer and they have to amputate? The thoughts that go through my head are so apalling and unbearable, and I get so distressed.

Any thoughts anyone? Does anyone else worry like this about their children?

Mable

april tones
25-10-05, 23:11
hi, i get this. i think its normal for parents. xxx

apriltones

boy
26-10-05, 13:33
My mum was like that to me when I was too young to know what was going on or be concerned. The most worried I remember her being about any part of me was simply searching for headlice but after my anxiety started she told me about the horrors she went through worrying over me and my brothers. I don't think it rubbed off on me. I got my anxiety myself and partially thanks to the media.

I can understand how you are worried because just as you don't want something terrible happening to yourself you will obviously not want anything to happen to your children.

I say believe the doctor, it's all you can do really in the short term. They seem to know when something's wrong.

Mable
28-10-05, 00:26
Thanks for the support guys, but I am in total panic mode now. The cyst my daughter has on her leg has got infected. We visited the surgeon today (who was due to remove it in a couple of weeks), and he drained it under local anaesthetic this evening. This was quite traumatic for her and for me.

I am now in complete panic because I did not see exactly what instruments he used, apart from a small pair of scissors which I think he used to snip her skin, and I am pertrifed she will have caught something off the scissors. I am also pertrified that the infection is moving up her leg and I keep checking. I know I will not be able to sleep tonight. And tomorrow I will have to ring the surgeon and ask him 'was all his instruments sterile'. He is a top surgeon apparently, and you'd think it would be fine.

I get soooo SCARED....something awful will happen to my little girl. I can't bear it. Can anyone help? she has been on anti-biotics for 2 days, so this should be clearing it up.

Mable