PDA

View Full Version : Dance competition nerves

Under~The~Stars
18-09-09, 13:30
Well, the title pretty much sums it up...

About 2 and a half years ago, I found something that made such a difference to my life. I found dance. I had always wanted to learn, but had never taken that first step. When I eventually took that first step, I never looked back. It has helped me in so many ways. And I've met a lot of great people there.

3 months into it, I was in a competition, that was just for a bit of fun, and got through to the final.

A few months after that I started teaching the beginners. And a lot of the time I'm up on stage, with everyone watching me, which is not easy for anyone. But when you suffer with anxiety etc, it's really difficult.

Anyway, to a cut long story short, starting dancing was a turning point for me. And I recommend it to everyone!

I was in a competition around this time last year, and got through to the final, but my partner and I didn't connect very well. So haven't decided to compete again together.

This year, I have a new partner. It's normally a male/female dance. But I've decided to compete with a girl. I love dancing with her, and we connect very well. But I've had so much going on recently, that my head just isn't in the right place for competing. Although, it's too late to back out, and I'd really hurt my dance partner if I did that. So, I will go tomorrow, and I'll put my heart and soul into it, as I always do. But I guess I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement and support?

I feel sick just thinking about it...

Carla louise
18-09-09, 16:30
Hey Louise :) -you will be fine and you will be fabulous!!! You were born to dance thats why it has helped you so much and you are so passionate about it-I can relate to this, I too teach dance and when i'm dancing I think of nothing else, it keeps me sane. Try not to let your nerves get the better of you, like you say, you have a brilliant dance partner, you connect, and that will come across in your performance. Once you actually start your dance you will be too focused on what you are doing to worry about anyone watching. You have been given a gift-embrace it and enjoy it. The very best of luck, and let us know how it goes xxxxxxx

pollyanna
18-09-09, 16:42
Hi Louise

go for it, you will be fine,you are obviously a natural, and you will do your patner proud, once that music starts your body will take over....

good luck and let us know how you get on...

P x

Under~The~Stars
24-09-09, 13:00
Hi guys,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply here. It was a very busy weekend... Practising last Thursday night, last Friday night. Then the comp took up the whole day and night on Saturday. And then was dancing again in the afternoon on Sunday. It was hard going. I began to feel very ill on Sunday... Still not feeling great.

The dance competition didn't go very well. Me and my dance partner got to the semi final. It wasn't a bad result, but considering the last 2 years I've made it to the final. And I honestly think my dancing has got better with time, rather than worse. It was a tough competition this year, with a lot of people travelling from all over. The standard of dancing is higher in England than it is in Scotland, so this may have played a part. Was really disappointed not to get further than the semi final.

I felt I danced better this year, than I did last year, which is why it's so disappointing. I put everything into it... I have videos of us dancing, and I'm very critical of my own dancing... But I'd actually say we danced well, and deserved a place in the final...

I don't think competing is really for me. It takes the enoyment out of it... I dance because of how it makes me feel. Not because of how it looks. If that makes sense?

My mind was focussed on other things at the weekend, which won't have helped. But when on that dancefloor, I put my heart and soul into it... A close friend that I had an argument with recently turned up on the Friday night and didn't speak to me. She didn't turn up to see me compete on the Saturday. And then she turned up on the Sunday and didn't speak to me again. So that made things hard.

In conclusion, I won't be competing again. I'm not saying that in a hostile way. I just have to be realistic, and know what dancing does for me, and putting myself under pressure and stressing out about competitions isn't good. That's not why I started dancing, and it's not a road I want to go down...