PDA

View Full Version : Periods of Anxiety?

Panic33
19-09-09, 17:28
I'm suffering from anxiety - had bloods tests - all OK. Doc put me on Sertaline nearly 4weeks ago. I have periods of hours in a day where all seems normal, then other periods where I have head tension, flushed forehead, dread, some times slight of balance and feeling that there is something major wrong with me. I know all these are symptoms of anxiety - but do others feel all is Ok for short periods then suddenly the anxiety kicks in and the symptoms too? I'm finding it hard to understand why it kicks in when I'm thinking normally, then I back to full on anxiety and the symptoms with it.
{I have noticed that when I can finally lose myself in a film or some other distraction I don't feel the symptoms - hence at the timje I put it down to anxiety, but when it kicks (i.e. now) I can only think the worse]

sue.b
19-09-09, 18:23
Hi Ya

Yes I have had periods of anxiety, I have been upping my dose of Sertraline since mid June, gradually 25 mg each time. 12 weeks in I am on 175 mg. I have only this last week stopped have the strong bouts of anxiety.

I saw my psychiatrist last week, who I have bundles of faith in, he has always told me that recovery will be up and down and to expect some bad days going forward still. These will gradually fade away. Apparently this is normal pattern of recovery from depression and accompanying anxiety.

He did stress though that you must be on the right dose of AD's for you. What suits one person may not suit another. Until you get the right dosage you will not feel better. Your doctor will be able to advise you on this better.
I guess, as hard as it is, it's trial and error with the meds.

But believe me I was where you are at the moment, wondering if I should be anxious, are the meds working, am i getting worse etc. but this week i have started to notice improvements.

Take care

Sue xx

Panic33
19-09-09, 18:30
thanks sue - its a real comfort to read :)

Panic33
21-09-09, 21:48
Anyone else feel OK for short periods of time in day then have total anxiety and panic. The thing that is throwing me, is when I feel OK even if I think bad things they don't effect me, but some times when I'm thinking positive and feel fine I sundley get massive anxiety and feel total dread. I could understand getting this when I was thinking neg but not when feeling ok and thinking positive. Anyone?

sue.b
21-09-09, 22:51
I was experiencing this a few weeks ago. I would feel fine for hours and then get really anxious and panicky.

I seem to have passed through this stage (fingers crossed along with everything else). But my dose of sertraline has been gradually increased and i feel that i am probably on the right dose for me. It has taken me 12-13 weeks to get this far, and wouldn't say i am out of the woods yet.

So it maybe you need a bit longer on the meds or maybe your doctor will increase them.

Take care, hope you soon pass through this stage too.

Sue xx

Panic33
21-09-09, 22:58
Thanks Sue, when you increased the dose did you notice any side effects like increased anxiety, panic? (I had these when first started the meds) Also how long into increasing did you notice a difference or move up a dose? Sorry for all the questions, really scared I'm getting no better.