PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have a phobia of going nuts

MandySlade
19-09-09, 18:59
I'm just curious. How many of you (like myself) have an obsession with not only your physical health, but your mental health? I find that this obsession is harder to "dispute" because the "evidence" isn't something I can easily see. Also, having hypochondriasis/health anxiety makes me feel crazy enough... which in turn ignites my phobia. I'm always worried I will develop schizophrenia or a severe memory disorder. I'm always checking to make sure I didn't make up a memory (check that it -really- happened) or I ask people if they heard a certain sound too. I'm also freaked out by coincidences. I worry that I'm "seeing connections" and that it means I'm crazy. When my boyfriend says "you already told me that" or "we went to that concert, remember?" and I don't... I get this fear that I'm blacking out and doing things I don't remember. Like, that I have a split personality. I got a phone call the other day telling me that my pizza was running late and I would be credited for it. The problem was, I didn't order any pizza. So, instead of just thinking "oh they got a wrong number" I start thinking "OH NO! I'm ordering pizza and not remembering doing it". Which, I realize isn't what's going on... but I can't not worry about it. Then, once I tell myself I'm being silly and that I obviously am aware of the things I do... I start questioning -why- I worry about it. Does worrying about it mean I'm crazy anyway?

UHG! It's a nasty cycle. Can anyone else relate?

Panic33
19-09-09, 19:17
I can fully relate to this. My main fear is mental health and as u say its hard because is the anxiety of the mental issues causing them or are they the problem and the anxiety is a symptom of it. Its a horrible cycle. They only thing I will say, is the fact you are asking are you goin crazy - means your are prob not. If we were crazy I don't think we'd know it ourselves :) I think when you have high anxiety and you are constantly thinking things over, you do tend to forget other things - I don't think this is an issue just that your mind busy thinking other things.

Gazman
19-09-09, 19:25
when i had bad bouts of anxiety, i used to keep thinking about what i did yesterday and if i couldn't remember i'd really worry, but if you think about it if ur worrying about things all the time you tend to forget the things you are doing at the time.

I don't think your going crazy, try to relax - Gaz

Tangerine Man
19-09-09, 21:41
Panic 33, I agree my therapist says if you think you are going mad then you are not as those that have deep mental problems frequently do not realise. Hence if we realise we are ill then we are just a little off balance. (I have been banned from using the word normal. What is normal anyway?

So you are not going mad it is merely your mind working over time, try to relax you are not alone

I hope you feel better soon

pd
20-09-09, 00:31
Hello, I think I know what you mean, especially about the noticing coincidences and freaking out about them!! I think it's mainly a case of over analysing things (like almost everything else anxiety related!) and certainly not going crazy. It's a scary thought though, because, and this is badly phrased but I can't think of any other way to put it, I feel that the only thing keeping me sane is my sanity!

Worrying about it definately doesn't make you crazy either.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

luke1982
20-09-09, 01:40
I laughed when I read this post.
Ignorance is not bliss.

SueBee
20-09-09, 02:45
Ignorance, I agree.

I wish someone would define nuts to me. What kind of psychological condition would you consider as nutty?

Surely you mean you fear losing control?

Yet again I have witnessed schizophrenia being cited as the definition of craziness. It annoys me no end.

In my opinion, no one on this planet is crazy/nuts or whatever you wish to call it. People just suffer from different conditions, be it psychological, learning difficulties or psychiatric conditions.

I have a family member who has all the above conditions-possibly more. Is she crazy/nuts? No, shes a sweet, intelligent young girl who is afraid of her own shadow, whould do anything for anyone. In fact, she is more afraid of what others will do to her than 'losing the plot' and harming others.

Sorry for the rant but I think everyone should think carefully about how they define going nuts/crazy and how upsetting it might be to others to be categorised in such a negative manner

MandySlade
20-09-09, 05:40
I'm actually deeply offended by people who downplay schizophrenia. I clearly didn't mean any offense. Just because I said "going nuts" or "going crazy" doesn't mean I think less of people who have severe mental disorders. I mean, we're really talking about mincing words here. Do I think people who are schizophrenic are crazy? Sure. I mean, if that's not what going crazy is... what IS it? All I'm saying is that I recognize the pain and anguish caused by those mental conditions and it's something I fear going through myself.. and have a phobia of.

Given that I am someone who defends schizophrenic people constantly when they are made fun of. Given that I am someone who worked with severe and profoundly mentally and physically disabled children....

I certainly do not feel the way you think I do. I just don't see the offense in the word "crazy" or "nuts".

Cell block H fan
20-09-09, 08:24
Its a well known fact that anxiety/stress etc, will have an affect on the memory. So I wouldn't say you're going crazy no.

cassy1989
20-09-09, 09:42
I wouldn't say I have a phobia of 'going nuts' because really I don't know how to define going nuts!

But I am definately frequently anxious about losing my memory or something. Sometimes I will be watching a film I have watched before and I will think I don't remember these scenes atall and then I will start panicking that I am losing my memory or something.

There have been other incidents too but now I have learnt that it always seems to be when I am stressed or anxious anyway so I am trying to put it down to that.

Maj
20-09-09, 10:33
I went through the same thing many years ago and it's because you are so anxious you are constantly questioning your stability! Please try and accept it for the moment and when you steer into calmer waters you will see it for what it is, unpleasant thoughts ruled by high anxiety. You are not "crazy". You are stressed. It is a nasty cycle but you can get out of it. Try not to let your thoughts worry you too much. They are only repeated thoughts made worse by anxiousness. I would recommend Claire Weekes books. She covers these symptoms brilliantly and if you practise what she recommends you will feel so much better.
Take care
Myra:hugs:

Maj
20-09-09, 11:30
Sue,

You seem to have a lot of anger about this subject. I agree with you 100% but you will never change people's terminology. I hate the use of those words too but it's life and people have their own expressions. They feel bad enough without being criticised.
Myra

MandySlade
21-09-09, 00:19
So if I had simply said I have a phobia of becoming schizophrenic you wouldn't be offended, but because I said I have a phobia of going nuts/crazy you are?

I'm sorry that I've offended you, really, but I still fail to agree with the cause of the offense. To me things are about intent and meaning not words themselves. As I said before, I worked with SPMH children and adults. I still don't find offense in the word "retarded" when used to describe mentally retarded people. To me, the offense comes when it's used in a mean/derogatory way. Just saying someone is mentally retarded IMO is not offensive. Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Perhaps it's a personal lack of preference for PC terms, but either way, communication break down is surely the issue.