PDA

View Full Version : Overactive Thyroid

JeniB
26-10-05, 15:54
Hiya,
I've been so pleased to find a forum like this, the post are fantastic!
I think my brain is going into overdrive, as well as my thyroid, and am panicing a bit!
I have been to my GP for the blood test which came back positive for an Overactive Thyroid and am waiting to see the speciliast on 29th Nov. I have also had a scan on my neck. I am reading up on this online and it has made me feel a bit nervous about it all!
I am 28 years old and cannot remember when my thyroid started to swell, as far as my mum is concerned no-one in my family has had this, although she was adopted so who knows about her side of things (is it definately inherited?). About 3 years ago I was 13 stone and decided to loose some weight and am now 10 stone 4, which I am able to maintain altough I eat a lot of rubbish which surprises me why I haven't put the weight back on. That is my only sympton, luckily not piling on the pounds!
The questions that are going round in my head are, if silly sorry!
* Is this effecting my fertility? I am off the pill now and looking to to get pregnant
* Am I going to be on drugs for the rest of?
* Am I going to put on weight with the treatment? Obviously I dont want to!
* Am I worrying too much? By the way I am not a worrier at all, have to wait for 13 weeks to see a consultant is playing tricks on my mind ;)
There are many more but I just wanted to find a forum like this where I can see how other people are doing?
Looking forward to hearing your story
Jeni

Alice
26-10-05, 16:51
hi jeni
ive just had blood taken today to be checked for hyperthyroidism, i find out in a week, so im probably not the best person to answer your post lol!

you say that youve looked at things online, i guess thats the best anyone could recommend at the moment, the britsh thyroid foundation and places like it should have the info youre looking for, also try endocrineweb.com for some in depth answers about the thyroid and treatment of hyperthyroidism. The NoMorePanic site mainly focuses on panic attacks and various anxiety disorders, the symptoms of which can be similar to thyroidism im told, maybe we're all having thyroid problems and we're not going crazy!

i have a lot of the symptoms of over active thyroid, including being able to eat so many more calories than normal without putting on weight! If i do have thyroid problems i hope this one side effect doesnt go away lol

Good luck with it, i hope you find the answers you need
Alice

JeniB
26-10-05, 17:04
Thanks Alice.
If I new I wont put on weight with the treatment and could carry on eating what I want, I would be a very happy person .... ;)
Good luck with your blood test
Jen