PDA

View Full Version : Please no scare stories - has anyone come off benzos without a problem??

Tovah
19-09-09, 20:36
I have read a thousand scare stories about people coming off benzos and the experience ruining their lives, with horrible side effects, etc. I am desperate to hear from someone who was able to reduce their dosage or stop completely, tapering or not, without major, major SEs. Anyone? Please!!!!!!!!

jo61
20-09-09, 09:48
I've been on diazepam on and off for years. At times a long time ago I was on up to 30mg a day. I tapered off and the trick was to do it very slowly. Now I take them occasionally and have no problems stopping even if I have to take them daily for a week or so.

My hubby had to take them for his back - i used to supply him with some extra :blush: and he had no problem either.

:hugs:

Tovah
25-09-09, 21:25
Thanks for your reply. But it scares me that there is only one reply! Can't anyone else answer? I really need some encouragement here. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Tovah
25-09-09, 21:26
Jo, how slow did you taper??

sb001f8994
25-09-09, 22:32
Hi Tovah,
I was on valium for over twelve years and my doctor just stopped prescribing, I was horrified! I am going back twenty years ago and I dont think they realised you had to be 'weaned' off these type of meds. Anyway with the tablets (2mg) I had left and pinching some from my mum I managed to cut them in half, then quarters and eventually just nibbling bits off them. It took about three months and I had no bad affects from it. I havent touched them or any other meds since.
Hope this is a little help.
Take care,
Carol.

jo61
26-09-09, 18:23
To be honest, I can't remember but it was really slow. by the end I was on about 2-4mg per day and then just kept forgetting to take them, got put on different antidepressants and just stopped. I still have the security blanket of having them in my bag/underneath my bed but I rarely take them. However, I know that if I need them I can take a few doses without becoming too attached to them :blush:

sheena
26-09-09, 20:05
I came off them in 1985. Then I felt so anxious and the tension in my body was horrendous. I managed then to get down to 1/2 a mg twice a day. At the time my marriage broke up when my daughter was 5 months old and my son 8 years old.
I was not in very good place then.

About 3 years the lorezapam was increased to 3 times a day and along with other medication I was doped up all day.

In the last few months I have been reducing again and it has gone great.

I reduced them by 1/2 a milligrame when I felt the time was right and had no problems. I have decided to stay on 1/2 a mg twice a day and all is well.

Don't be scared, go for it.

Sheena

Danath
27-09-09, 00:23
Yeah tovah, little by little is the answer my freind.not diazepam but I had been on effexor(venlafaxine) for a while and those antidepressants are very difficult to come off, I was scraping bits at a time off the smallest tablets towards the end.(note this does not mean they should be avoided if you are prescribed them....)

I was prescribed diazepam to help me wean off those tablets, and there is a certain pattern which should help you do it, ask your doctor or pharmacist or look online ( i recommend the former option)

I'm not saying you won't feel any side or withdrawal effects but follow your weaning program to the letter and these should be more than easy to handle.

Hope this helps.

lotus
29-09-09, 16:04
Hi Tovah

Yes, there are people who manage to just stop taking benzos (even after taking large amounts for a long time) with no problem. There are others who claim to be in withdrawal for years. It's a question of individual body chemistry. To be safe you should taper gradually and really slowly (look up The Ashton Manual).

I have also felt scared, even desperate, after reading posts in benzo withdrawal message boards, so I guess I know how you feel. Keep in mind that these posts are written by people who are struggling really badly. Not everyone has such a bad experience while withdrawing. People who don't have problems don't post in message boards so you don't get to hear their stories. It's not a nightmare for everyone.

mkeeley
04-10-09, 01:37
Wasn't totally easy but wasn't that hard either. Just taper slowly. Forget about the Benzo withdrawal message boards they have an agenda and anything remotely positive is censored.