PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick yourself up from a rotten day?

desperate
26-10-05, 19:22
Just windering how people pick themselves up?

I guess i've been doing ok like 5/10 ish for the past few weeks but am missing the input of my therapist for 3 weeks [:O]

I guess i've had a few bad days recently but today has been horrid for a number of reasons, i couldn't face going down to town at all and ended up in tears wondering how i'm going to cope with the big bad world etc!

Staying in bed till 5 and am now exhausted from doing nothing as per usual [Sigh...]

Just wondering how people deal with bad days or with slipping back down a bit?

Thanks, Sarah

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

carlin
26-10-05, 20:29
Hi there,
sorry you are feeling a bit rough right now, as you say, you are having a few bad days and have slipped a little, you will be able to pick yourself up and start over. Tomorrow will be different, make sure you relax before bed, when you wake, shower, have a good breakfast and see what you fancy doing, a quick trip to the shops? a little housework? whatever keeps you distracted and whatever fits in with your lifestyle. I'm sorry i have no good advice, but just because you have felt horrid for a few days doesn't mean it will last..tommorow will be better...xxxxxxxxxx

clickaway
26-10-05, 20:50
Sarah, I can only go on my personal experiences and also look back to see how I've coped before.

I slipped back suddenly on Sunday, and I knew why. Its happened before and it took 4 or 5 days to get me repaired.

So since then I've felt pretty bad and tired but today has been a big improvement. I've just had to ride the storm, but I've reminded my mind that I will soon be better and this is just temporary.

Also, I have not layed in bed that long, although my tiredness has resulted in my rising around midday a couple of times.

I make the effort to go out and I think this is important. It could be a trip to the corner shop, a country walk, in town for coffee and/or shopping or whatever.

By the way, have you any experience of SAD lamps - I'm meaning to buy one but have yet to get around to it..........

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

desperate
26-10-05, 21:03
Hi Ray,

My anxiety about doing such things sometimes takes over though unfortunately.

I haven't tried those lamps no, I am taking SJW and i know it increases your skins sensitivity to light.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

paladin806
26-10-05, 22:19
Hi Sarah, i had terrible times trying to make myself move, but i now make sure i go somewhere every day, even if its just to the local supermarket for milk and rolls. I never get in more than i need for one day,so i know i have to go out every day. It gives me someone to talk to, even if it is only a few words. Thats how i miss Devon, you say good morning in a shop their, and your talking for 20 minutes! lol Anyway, once you start a routine, it becomes easier. Take care. John.

"I heard someone calling my name one day, so i followed that voice down the lost highway"

desperate
27-10-05, 13:00
Thanks John,

After yesterday am making myself go out for very short walk today, no point plunging myself in the deep end really.

Just feel so spaced out and unreal and floaty in places...arrghhhh!!

desperate
28-10-05, 21:03
Just though i'd add a thing onto this one rather than starting a new thread.

Today hasn't gone very well either. I had a rotten nights sleep full of nightmares about the past and things.

Then was supposed to be going to the cinema but cried from just organising it. Then got a huge slump in energy and slept from about 12 till 4. This again was filled with horrid thought and dreams. I then went for a drive with mum and felt horrid just sitting in the car, when we got back i sobbed lots to her as well about how am i ever going to cope with adult life and decisions ever again when i feel so low and insignificant etc.

It just hasn't been very good at all and caps off a bad week really.

Just makes it so hard to see yourself improving when you get like this and can't do anything as you feel so spaced out and down.

andrew
28-10-05, 22:42
hi sarah,

life can be hard when your stuck in anxiety and depression and its easy to be overwhelmed by the thoughts and feelings. try and take it one situation or day at a time, its easier to cope with that way.

i also wanted to say stop being so hard on yourself, even though your feeling totally crap, your still getting yourself out, talking about your stuff and sorting out things - the easy thing to do is to shut up and sit in your room. altho you feel you might not have achieved alot, your actions have been very positive - positive really does help beat this.

i dont know whether your in any kind of situation where your talking about the nightmares, horrid thoughts, etc when your sleeping - but i did wanna say that personally i thought my GAD stopped when i got some handles on my own similar situation.

you take care .. andrew

desperate
29-10-05, 16:31
Hi andrew,

My thoughts are linked to decision i made at uni really and i had a very unfufilling relationship for 2years there.

Thanks for replying, I have had another bad day today unfortunately but am up and dressed and trying just to do little things.

My GAD was linked to a situation unfortunately that has gone but the feelings have stayed.

discostu58
20-08-10, 14:44
I've had a bad last few weeks moods swings been terrible so bad my partner is thinking I'm getting fed up of her dont know bout the rest of you but I tend to sit in silence then I may have a few "high" days and thinking I'm threw it but then bang I get hit with another down mood which are coming more frequent all I want it to stablize the moods I'm on mirtazipine 45mg (somethings talikng 60mg) by the way

boblepeche
23-08-10, 00:58
On thing that really helps me is to think what my cpn keeps telling me. He says to remember that if you feel bad, or have a bad day then it is only a day, think of it as a blip. It is not relapse. He tells me to remember the days I felt well and to tell myself that I will feel well again.

This really helps me. Also he is teaching me to think about things. At one time if anything bad happened in the day, I would say to myself "Its been a horrible day where everything went wrong". Now hes teaching me to analyse things a little further. 1 bad thing in the day does not make everything bad. Also hes teaching me methods to overcome negative thinking. I have to challenge negative self talk with real evidence. He says I need to only submit evidence to myself that is hard evidence. No guessing what others think. I also must not be so hard on myself.

Its all easier said than done, but I do believe Im getting there - slowly.

GlasgowGuy
23-08-10, 08:57
Sounds like your CPN making some very good points and doing good exercises with you. I had a CPN for months and was a nice woman and her heart in right place but I felt all I really got was someone to talk to and 'put structure in your day'. Is a fair point I suppose.

Lot to be said for a good CPN.