PDA

View Full Version : Incapacity Benefit ?

kazo
26-10-05, 20:30
Hi Guys

I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and also suffer anxiety and panic attacks. I have been told that because of my condition I am able to get Incapacity Benefit.

I am not sure about this as I do work an hour a day as a midday assistant and thought you could only claim if you cannot work. I am at present able to keep my job as my boss is very supportive and if I feel bad I can escape and be covered.

I just thought if any of you guys knew anything about incapacity you could tell me if I do qualify or not. It would put an end to me wondering about it.

Thanks guys

Karen xxxx

trevor
26-10-05, 21:01
hi karen,,

i am almost sure you can work so many hours a week ,,but i think the best idea would be a visit to there website tells you everything you could need to know,,
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/492,

good luck,,

trevor:D

desperate
26-10-05, 21:09
Always talk to a local CAB too?

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Darren
26-10-05, 22:51
Hi

I am employed by Jobcentreplus as an HR manager, guidance states that you cannot usually work while you are getting Incapacity Benefit, because of illness or disability. You may be able to do the following types of work but you should check with your local Jobcentre, Jobcentre Plus or Social Security office before you start.

Permitted Work

You can work for earnings of up to £20.00 a week for an unlimited period, or for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £81.00 a week (from 1 October 2005) for a 26 week period.

The period can be extended for another 26 weeks if a Job Broker, Personal Adviser or Disability Employment Adviser agrees that it will help you towards work of 16 or more hours a week.

There is no limit to the number of times you can do permitted work in this category while you are getting an incapacity benefit; but there must be a gap of at least 52 weeks between periods.

These subsequent periods are for 52 weeks and a Job Broker, Personal Adviser or Disability Employment Adviser must support the work from the outset.

Supported Permitted Work
You can work in supported permitted work for earnings of up to and including £81.00 (from 1 October 2005) a week for an unlimited period.

Supported permitted work is work done with the ongoing support or supervision from a professional caseworker (employed or engaged by a public body or voluntary organisation). This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work done under medical supervision as part of a hospital treatment programme.

You can carry on getting Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance while doing permitted work without it affecting your benefit. If you get Income Support, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit your benefit will be reduced if your average earnings are more than your earnings disregard.

The idea behind these initiatives is to get clients on Incapacity Benefit into the working environment with the ultimate aim of a return to work on a full time basis.

Hope this helps, you should speak to an adviser at the Jobcentre before undertaking work.

Darren

Life's not a rehearsall, you only get one opportunity.

april tones
27-10-05, 00:05
hi darren, do you know if i can claim incapacity benefit, i have fibromylagia? i know few people who can claim but i wondered about me as its a recently new thing people dont know or understand. thanks.xx

apriltones