PDA

View Full Version : Depression and time off work.

bassplayer
20-09-09, 13:25
I posted this question originally on the Citalopram forum as that's been the one I've been looking at most but then thought it would actually make more sense to have it on this one.

I'm into week 5 of Citalopram 20mg, this is the first time I've took tablets despite having depression and anxiety for many years, I tried to hide it and just put up with it which doesn't work and everything came to a head 5 weeks ago.
The tablets don't seem to be being much help yet but I'll give it time.
I'm worried though cos I've now been off work 5 weeks with no sign of improving, I had originally intended to maybe just be off for 2 weeks, how naive of me!
I worry because I was off work with anxiety and depression from September last year to January this year, I was refusing tablets then as I was really scared of them and was convinced I could get better myself.
When I went back in January I wasn't really ready but felt I should go back after being off so long and as a result I've struggled on all year and ended up being even worse and finally given in to the idea of tablets.
Have I been off work an excessively long time compared to others with depression and anxiety or is it normal to be off so long?
How much time did everyone else have to be off work?
Thanks.

mabel
22-09-09, 22:26
I think it depends really. I have various amount of time off in my working life, due to depression and anxiety. The shortest was 4 weeks the longest 5 months. I know people who have needed more and less. It's what you need. We're all different. Don't add this to your list of worries. Take the time you need. Give the tablets the time they need to work. You will know when you are ready to return to work. :hugs:

Take care.

Mabel x

Maj
22-09-09, 22:58
Hi,

It doesn't matter how long you are off work - this is a time when you have to think of yourself. Take your meds and take each day as it comes. I was brought up to think that you went to work unless your leg was hanging off!! I worked throughout a chronic anxiety/depression period I had a few years ago and probably made it harder for myself. I just wanted to feel "normal". I now realise that it might help some people if they don't have the stress of "putting on a face" at work. Be selfish for once! You are only a number at work and at the end of the day won't get any worthy thanks for it. Take care and I hope you feel better soon. It doesn't matter how long it takes.
Take care
Myra:)

Delaney
05-10-09, 20:26
Alright pal, to this date i have been off work since 31/08/08 with depression, numerous a&e visits, overdosing and self harm. I have been on cit for 8 months now, so your not doing too bad at all to be honest. Just got myself on to a princes trust course since early sept so finally getting my own life back on track, so keep at it.

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill