PDA

View Full Version : Our Dog Buddy

yorkylover
21-09-09, 13:53
Im stressed today,we noticed today that our Newfy Buddy has a lump on his top lip,about the size of a pea and its very hard.

The vet think's it could be an insect bite or a cancerous growth.Because of his age nearly 9 and the size of him it could be a growth.She doesn't want to put him under aneasthetic unless they have to as he is a high risk under aneasthetic being nearly 9,so she is starting him on antibiotic's until Friday.If by then it hasn't gone down he is going in next week to have the lump removed.

I will be worried all week now,and my family to as he is my dad's dog.:weep:

Sorry I just needed to tell someone.:hugs:

magpie girl
21-09-09, 16:18
hi yorky im sorry to hear about buddys growth.Our oldest staff developed one just above his tail and grew really quick.We had to have him operated on but it turned out a great result as it was just a fatty mass,:D :D :D .We spent days worrying about the results of the biopsy,as staffs are prone to cancerous lumps.Got all my fingers crossed for you and big hugs :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1:

Southern_Belle
21-09-09, 16:21
Hi Yorky,

I hope the antibiotics work and try not to worry even though I know it will be hard not too. Just take it one day at a time. Let us know how it goes.

Love,

Laura

kazzie
21-09-09, 16:26
:bighug1: :bighug1: Ellen

I know its easy to say but try not to worry:hugs:

Dogs often get odd lumps and bumps just like we do!!!

Yorkies are tough little critters My Joe lived to be seventeen and a half despite having rickets, being mauled by an alsation and having a punctured lung!!!

At the moment Oscar is looking awful....he has developed an allergy to his dog food so is now on a diff diet and taking evening primrose oil!!!

Big:hugs: :hugs: to you all

Luv Kaz x:hugs:

yorkylover
21-09-09, 16:44
Thanks everyone.
Kazz its Buddy who has the lump,our newfy not Ollie the yorky.

I think its something not to serious,well Im hopeing that anyway.Its not to big at the moment and I think we caught it quick.

Thanks for support.:bighug1:

sandy35
21-09-09, 17:13
Hi sorry to hear about buddy's lump. I found a lump on my cat Smudgie's stomach a few years ago that turned out to be benign. Please keep us informed of how things are.

pollyanna
21-09-09, 20:40
Hi Yorky

Sorry to hear about buddy, but take it one day at a time until you know what you are dealing with, easier said than done i know. as you say its small, so even if worse case scenario, something can be done about it.
our dog Milo is 5, and he has chronic pancreatitis and it is a constant worry, he has been hospitalised too many times to count now, so i do understand the real worry our pets cause us, they are our family.
so fingers crossed everything turns out well, and you know where we are in you need to chat.

luv

P x

debera
22-09-09, 00:44
hi ellen sorry to hear about buddys lump. try not to worry hun and i do hope that the antibiotics work. will be thinking about you
love debera
x x x:bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1:

kazzie
22-09-09, 12:28
Ellen:hugs:

Im so sorry for that stupid reply I wrote, I dont know what possessed me to read Ollie not Buddy!!!

Im sure he will be fine!!!

Luv Kaz x:hugs:

yorkylover
24-09-09, 00:37
Took Buddy back tonight and the vet said she wants him in for pre op Tuesday,and decide from there to remove the lump.Its still the same at the moment,but even if its an ingrowing hair or something it has to be removed.If it changes shape or gets bigger then it could be something nasty.

She is still concerned about the aneasthetic,as he is nearly 9 and old for a dog of his size.xxx:ohmy: :scared15:

yorkylover
29-09-09, 12:05
Buddy has gone into have the little lump removed today.We are worried sick cos of the aneasthetic.Hopefully I will get a call from the vet soon.xxxxxx:hugs:

missbabbs
29-09-09, 14:35
Thinking of you, and fingers crossed for a positive outcome

pollyanna
29-09-09, 15:00
Fingers crossed xand lots of love for buddyxxx, and big hug for you..:bighug1:.x

debera
29-09-09, 15:06
hi ellen will be thinking about buddy today. hope all goes well. keep us posted
love debera x x x:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

valleybear
29-09-09, 15:57
Thinking of you and Buddy and hope the news is good and everything goes well. I so know how worrying it is when one of our animal family is ill. XXX

yorkylover
29-09-09, 16:31
Buddy is home safe and well the lump was removed and he came round quite quickley.We will have the results of the lump next week.

He has just eaten a nice dinner of fresh chicken and Rice and of course Ollie had to have some to,we pretended he had been to the vets to.:hugs:

Thank you for all the support and kind words.xxxxxxxxx:hugs:

pollyanna
29-09-09, 16:36
that is good news, glad the op went ok, let us know how next week goes..

love

P x:hugs:

sandy35
29-09-09, 18:52
Glad to hear that buddy is safe and well and recovering from the op. x

kazzie
03-10-09, 23:04
Yay Ellen brill news:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
06-10-09, 22:55
Had the biopsy report today,the lump was a tumour containing cancer cells:ohmy:.Its a tumour that grows on the lips and in the mouth.We caught it in time and he is fine.We have to just keep an eye on the area it was removed from,if there is any sign on it comeing back he will have to have it removed again,hopefully it wont return.:hugs:

pollyanna
06-10-09, 23:09
Hi Yorky,

sorry to hear that, but the good thing is all the treatment is now over, and he is doing fine, and it was stopped in its tracks, and you just need to keep you eye on it. Im sure he will do just fine.
One thng a vet said to me that always made me stop and think, is that buddy wont know any different, he has no worries, he is just happy to be fed, have company, and have a play about, that is why animals always do better than humans with things like this , because they are not worrying about it. big hug for you and buddy...:bighug1: xx

kazzie
06-10-09, 23:24
Thats good news Ellen:hugs:

Hope Buddy will be at more meet ups soon:hugs:

Oh and You and Rich too lol:yesyes:

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
16-10-09, 17:22
After all Buddy went through the last couple of week's we took him for his routine jab's today and the vet found he has an irregular heart beat,she is very concerned and booked him in for an ECG on Monday.

Im totally gutted as is my family,he is part of the family.he has showed no sign's of heart problem's.:scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15: :weep::weep::weep::weep::weep:

gary_2.0
16-10-09, 17:42
Phew that was a close thing for Buddy. Well done for spotting it in time Ellen. He's a gorgeous dog, and to echo what Kazzie says, I hope he comes out to play with us again at another meet up soon.

pollyanna
17-10-09, 08:18
Ellen

I am sorry to hear the latest news on buddy, it must be a terrible worry for you. but the good thing is that it has been picked up early, when he was getting his pre op checks for the removal of the lump on his mouth a few weeks ago , they would have listened to his heart then, so this must be a new thing or they would have told you back then.
Once he is seen on monday you will have a better idea of what is going on and he will be given the appriopratre treatment, i know you wont be able to stop worrying, because i would be exactly the same, they are part of our family, and we worry about all our family members.

I really feel for you right now, why does everythng seem to happen one thing on top of another, no sooner have you dealt with one thing, when along comes another, but i suppose thats life, and we have to find new ways of dealing with it.
Try and keep your mind busy over the weekend, that will be hard i know, if you need or want to chat more , please feel free to pm me.

Keep your chin up

Best wishes

P x

yorkylover
17-10-09, 16:02
Thanks everyone,finding out on a Friday is terrible as you have the whole weekend to dwell on it.The vet thinks it may have happened after his op as like you said they would have picked it up before.

I just hope he will be ok,can't stop thinking we may lose him,I know its the anxiety going crazy as well.xxx:unsure:

kazzie
17-10-09, 16:30
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:Ellen to You and Buddy

Vets can do so much nowadays I really hope He will be fine:flowers:

Im thinking of you all and please keep me posted

All my love

Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
21-10-09, 12:35
Buddy is on atenolol at the moment,its making him very drowsy so he cant go out for his walk.
Its all been very stressful for us and Im still worried sick.:hugs:

kazzie
21-10-09, 14:00
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:To You All Ellen

I hope he feels better soon

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

gary_2.0
21-10-09, 18:45
Thinking of you here too Ellen. Give Buddy a smooth for me.

yorkylover
28-10-09, 14:03
Buddy's heart rate has come down from 230 to 160 on the meds.

When the vet found out he had a fast heart rate they also found his rythum wasn't quite right.Now his heart rate has come down a bit the vet has found the rythum is not right at all,he has got to have another ecg in two week's time.:hugs:

kazzie
28-10-09, 16:19
Hi Ellen:D

Guess its good news that his heart rate is down.....sounds like they are getting to the bottom of it!!!

Give Buddy a big hug from me and Luv to you and Rich too:hugs:

Kaz x:hugs:

yorkylover
18-11-09, 13:33
Just had some bad news from the vets that Buddy may be in heart failure.A cardiologist took a look at his ECG results and is very concerned.They want to do an xray and scan but he needs to be sedated which is a huge risk to him,we just dont know which way to turn!!!!!:weep:

They think he may have fluid around the heart and some other bits going on:scared15: the medication they want to put him on can be poisonous in large doses,so he will need regular blood tests to monitor it.

We just cant believe how quick this is all happening,Im so scared of what is ahead of us.xxxxx:scared15:

kazzie
18-11-09, 15:09
Oh Ellen Hunny:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

This is so sad I feel for you I really do:hugs:

I would to hate to offer any advice but my general rule when it comes to my own pets is to give them every chance you possibly can

I guess the main question is can it be cured/treated and if so will he have a good quality of life afterwards

You are in my thoughts and have my number if you wanna chat:hugs:

Love to you Rich and Buddy....oh and Ollie too:hugs:

Please keep me posted

Luv Kaz x x x:bighug1:

pollyanna
18-11-09, 16:51
Hi Ellen

I am so sorry to hear this news about Buddy, this is really tough on you all i know,. its a real dilemia trying to make the best descion for our pets, but the vet will guide you through his treatment options. poor buddy, what a hard time he is having.

will be thinking of you, buddy and the family.

big hug for you and buddy :hugs:.

Take care

Pauline x

gary_2.0
18-11-09, 18:20
How's Buddy coping with all this Ellen, is he aware something's wrong? Is he suffering much? I've made a number of concerned visits to the vet's over the years, I know how it feels. It's no consolation, but I'm thinking of you all. Best wishes.

yorkylover
19-11-09, 12:56
Buddy has had his meds changed today,and he is going in for a scan and xray on the 1st December.The vet has borrowed a scanning machine used for horses,as there's is to small for Buddy.

Hopefully thing's will get sorted,but its getting me down so much as I know sooner or later thing's are going to happen.:weep:

valleybear
19-11-09, 15:18
I am thinking of you and of Buddy. I hope that the vet can come up with some effective treatment. I am just back from vet's with my Yorkie.....my last Yorkie had treatment for heart problems for about 18 months and responded well before his quality of life finally was poor and we had to make a decision. Hope you get more time with Buddy.:hugs::hugs:

yorkylover
03-12-09, 17:23
Buddy has been really good since being on the new meds.
Tomorrow he goes in for his scan and xray to find out what is going on,hope all goes well.:ohmy:

pollyanna
03-12-09, 17:36
Will keep our fingers crossed, hugs for you both :hugs:x

yorkylover
04-12-09, 17:19
Buddy had to have an aneasthetic today and is still very dopey.The results were not to bad,better than I thought.He has no fluid on the lungs which is good,his heart is slightly larger due to age.The results are going off to the cardiologist so they can decide what meds he is to take.
Its all part of getting old!!!!!

Thanks pollyanna.:hugs:

sassieb
04-12-09, 17:41
:hugs:

pollyanna
04-12-09, 18:26
that is encourageing news, when he gets his meds sorted, you can relax a little, and im sure buddy will feel a lot better too., he is certainly being very well looked after..I know how worrying this has been for you, a real emotional rollercoaster. but hopefully now things will settle down.

Tc :hugs: P x