PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

hollie84
21-09-09, 15:24
I had my first panic attack in a large supermarket and didn't realaize what was happening till i had another one a month later in the same supermarket and then my GP said i was having panic attacks. I have done really well, taking propranolol when needed and can now go into most shops without feeling to panicky. My problem is now that i feels very nauseous and lightheaded most days. Is this normal for someone who is going through this. I am a bit anxious at the moment because i am going on holiday in a few days and don't like leaving the house,children,dog etc. I had to cancel this trip once before because of all this.
Help.

PanicOver!!
21-09-09, 15:56
All those symptoms are classic anxiety i have suffered with them and more
mine also started in a supermarket, must be the spending of money lol x

den68
21-09-09, 16:46
i dont know why but supermarkets seem to be where i have had my worst ones and still feel uncomfortable in them

Crush
22-09-09, 04:56
[quote=hollie84;554061]I had my first panic attack in a large supermarket and didn't realaize what was happening till i had another one a month later in the same supermarket and then my GP said i was having panic attacks. I have done really well, taking propranolol when needed and can now go into most shops without feeling to panicky.quote]

Man what is up with these Dr's??? I'm not sure how old you are or why he perscribed you that medication. Maybe it's your age?

The two commonly perscribed things are:

Lorazepam - helps you calm down physically for short term releif.

Citalopram - Long term solution that stops you from worrying which ultimately can end your anxiety. Takes a few weeks to work and does have side effects at first but wow this has really worked for me and I'm still on 1/4 the dosage I was perscribed.

purplehaze
22-09-09, 06:22
I have always said medication is only for short term use but I also accept that some do need it for long term use. The only way to combat panic attacks is to face them, there is no other way to over-come them.
The medication should be used as a stepping stone to move us forward.

Jyellowhat
22-09-09, 07:03
Hi
The anxiety can definetely make you feel lightheaded etc, but for me it was the propanalol that made me feel like that. Noticed it the most when had reocurrance of attacks in August. Started taking my propanalol and lost 3 days of my life. Was lightheaded, felt like i couldn,t be bothered to do anything, anxiety went through the roof, couldn,t eat etc etc. So i binned the tablets and felt a lot better the next day. I personally believe that as rough as anxiety/panic is we can live with it and function, its just a case of recognising what we have, not being afraid of it and when it happens finding a way of coping with it. I know its not easy but i,m managing to do it and i get really really bad anxiety.

hollie84
22-09-09, 07:54
I haven't taken propranolol for 4 days because i now find i can now cope without them but I still have nausea and lightheadedness. It usually starts about half an hour after i get up. I know i am still feeling slightly anxious about going on holiday but does anyone have these symptoms continually?

sedalia
22-09-09, 14:33
My panic/anxiety started 3 months ago..I haven't been to the doctors as I don't want to take medication, but yes, I have periods of days at a time when I feel sick and lightheaded. I would imagine it is the anxiety casuing it and is very normal. I consider it a good day if I can go 24 hours without feeling lightheaded.

Crush
23-09-09, 03:23
My panic/anxiety started 3 months ago..I haven't been to the doctors as I don't want to take medication, but yes, I have periods of days at a time when I feel sick and lightheaded. I would imagine it is the anxiety casuing it and is very normal. I consider it a good day if I can go 24 hours without feeling lightheaded.

Basically if you are suffering from light headedness, your brain is in high alert mode. Your receptors are stuck on 'high alert'. So small things like reading this sentance can cause you to feel light headed. It means your anxiety is very high and it will cause people to go to the hospital (me included).

I was so light headed at the hospital infact that I didn't think I could walk over a washroom and we contemplated me getting a wheelchair. I just held it in and sat there (... for 8 hours)

Through the day you'll have spells of light headedness more than other times if you pay attention. A half glass of wine can actually bring down the light headed feeling and sober you up. If you watch TV or play a video game and your mind is off the anxiety.. you might notice that you don't feel as light headed.. but the second you think about it and there it is again. Regardless, it's safe to say that the whole day you are light headed or off balance.

For those reading who don't suffer from anxiety, basically the light headedness will throw you off balance. You'll bump into things alot. You'll feel 'stoned' or detatched. Very much like mild marijuana stoned. You will bump your arms and elbows into many things and feel clumbsy. It feels like you are disabled or mentally ill. Don't let the fact that people are here posting on the forums and we seem normal. I told me brother and wife this phrase many times:

'Man.. to YOU i must look so sober and normal from the outside.. but trust me I'm dizzy, light headed, feel stoned and could esily go the hosptial if I didn't know what this was.

And that's why many actually call an ambulance or go to the ER. Dizziness unanounced could be very serious and growing up no one ever teaches you about anxiety so the patient assumes there is something seriously wrong with them.

Being sick like this of course causes depression which brings out more worry and more light headedness.

The best cure IMO is Citalopram over 3 weeks. When you are taking this, your will worry less, and your subconsious mind will instruct your receptors in your brain to go back down to 'normal'. When that happens you will be able to finally enjoy life with no dizziness, panic attacks, or other problems. But this will take time.

Having an anxious mind (to the point you are lightheaded) is something that builds up over time (weeks/months). It takes just as long to go back down.

Trying to 'face' the anxiety and panic attack triggers, do breathing, etc. etc. is something I have tried and it certainly did not help at all and I do not recommend it.

The Citalopram helped. And that's just at my 5mg little does with no side effects. I'd like to bump it up to 7.5mg just to see what happens.

marchant
23-09-09, 14:04
I have always said medication is only for short term use but I also accept that some do need it for long term use. The only way to combat panic attacks is to face them, there is no other way to over-come them.
The medication should be used as a stepping stone to move us forward.

I agree totally with this ;

Face, Accept, Float and let time pass.
[So face how you feel and totally accept it - you are not dying and you have been at this point before, then just float though, let it wash over you, and then just let time pass. Things will not be 100% better overnight] [You have to accept how you feel, if you don't and fear the fear, then the adrenaline goes up and the vicious cicle]

Have you read a book by Claire Weekes, you will see yourself in that and go forward.

Also Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway is a good book, how many times have you suffered over and over again about an event etc. When the actual event when done, was not as bad as you thought and you had feared it so much.

Also take small steps - a bit at a time. No point jumping in at the deep end and failing. Small steps - where you feel better for doing it. Then the steps can get bigger, then you can look back and wonder why you worried so much about the first step you did!

Steve :)

Izzycam
23-09-09, 20:54
Try to be strong, hope you can work through this!