PDA

View Full Version : How far I have come!

tygwyn
27-10-05, 11:47
Well I'm actually feeling a bit low this morning so wanted to post something here today to remind myself how far I have come!

I have been suffering from anxiety (that I've known of) for 2 months now (not long I know but long enough!). The first month was up and down - generally churning tummy constantly, headache, tremors and agititaion. I have found that hormones play quite a big part in my moods (as they do for most of us) and can see a pattern starting to appear.

Initially panic as such wasn't really a big issue for me - it was the constant anxiety that really got to me. I have been reading Claire Weekes daily and have been trying as best I can to 'accept' - this comes easier some days than others and typically around that 'time of the month' it is harder. As I have been accepting more and more the constant anxiety symptoms seem to be diminishing, leaving me with mainly fear flashes. I can't really call it panic as I am able to quell (sp?) it before it reaches panic thankfully.

As I have just finished 'the time of the month' I have had a pretty bad week (but not compared to how I was a month ago!). As the flashes come fewer and farther between they do seem to shock more and seem to effect me more than when they were constant (does that make sense??). I'm not frightened of them as such - they just p*** me off!!

Anyway - the reason this is in the 'success stories' section is because I do believe I am recovering (albeit slowly!).

I am now about to compare myself to exactly four weeks ago today!

I woke up 4 weeks ago today after having next to no sleep at all. I was anxious all night and in what I considered to be 'setback'. I was so so down about the state I had been in for that week (time of the month) and felt so lethargic and weak. My husband had to take my daughter to school because I was so exhausted and also because I was frightened of the fear flash that I had had there the day before! I then spent that morning crying (a lot!) and believing that I was worse than I was when it all started. The following day I decided I had to do something about it - exercise was the key!

So during the last 4 weeks I have been to keep fit, cycling, shopping with my friend, driven to my mums an hour away to help her move furniture been out for a meal and stayed the night in a hotel!

So here I am 4 weeks later. I have been a bit down. I do dwell on 'flashes' but I am now not crying all the time (although I do sometimes still feel like it). I do not have constant anxiety symptoms(although they do come and go). I do still think inwardly constantly although this is getting better. As I felt low this morning I decided not to give in to the despair so I got up, got in the car with my daughter, and went 'practicing'! (not testing!! LOL). I went back to the places where yesterday I had felt a bit off! I went to Tesco, I went to Asda all the time making sure that I wasn't rushing in and out - taking my time - breathing slowly when I needed to and trying losts of positive thinking! I also treated myself to a new jacket and a new CD!

When I do have these fear flashes I am now able to recognise that they are linked directly to my thinking.

God this has turned into a right essay hasn't it! Sorry but you know how it is - we really do need to recognise our progress when at times we feel as though we haven't moved forward at all.

Good luck everyone - as I've said before it will be a bumpy ride but our final reward will be RECOVERY!

Take care all and sorry if I have sent you to sleep!

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

pips
27-10-05, 12:26
I'm so pleased you are doing so well hun.

Keep up the good work.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X XX

mazz
27-10-05, 12:50
your a star mate and you know it . i love ya x

desperate
27-10-05, 13:04
Well done Rach!

Have you thought about a herbal remedy at all around your period?

I know some people say they help tremendously with all the hormones etc, sigh oh to be a man!
Sarah

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

alexis
27-10-05, 13:07
Well Done Rachel, yes as I said in my post, measure small steps, sometimes this is easy to forget, you are doing so well, keep striding,

love from Alexisxxxx

lainey
27-10-05, 13:55
Well done Rach!

Take care

Elaine x

Meg
27-10-05, 13:59
Rach

*When I do have these fear flashes I am now able to recognise that they are linked directly to my thinking. *

Vital link !

What good news and very glad to hear you doing so well.

Keep going ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
27-10-05, 17:24
Great progress Rach.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tracyp584
27-10-05, 17:52
Rachel,

A big well done on all your progress! Keep it going!

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

carlin
27-10-05, 18:32
Hi Rachel,
How lovely it was to read your post, you have done really well, keep at it and please keep in touch xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tygwyn
27-10-05, 18:47
Ah - thanks everyone for your comments!

This road to recovery is so flamin bumpy but I still believe that recovery will be mine (and yours!).

The support of this website has been the major factor in my progress - without a doubt. Had it not been for this website I firmly believe that I would have detoriated and not been lucky enough to catch this thing early. This is where I heard about Claire Weekes and where my recovery started.

I cannot thank the people who run this website enough and also those people who offer advice on a daily basis. Among others Meg has been absolutely fantastic so thank you!

Take care all

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Ruthie88
28-10-05, 03:15
Rach it is so wonderful you are doing well. Keep up the good work. Clare Weekes is amazing isn't she? Apparently she suffered agrophobia herself - no wonder she knows exactly how we all feel!!

Take care

tygwyn
28-10-05, 11:43
This morning I have done pretty much the same as yesterday. I've done a proper shop in Sainsburys, picked up a couple of things in Tesco and also went to Halfords (I've felt a bit iffy in Halfords a few times before now!). Don't get me wrong, going to these places has never really been too much of an issue for me but usually I do it as a distraction rather than 'practicing' and I also tend to rush all the time which obviously increases anxiety and agitation. I was again feeling a bit low this morning (the norm!) so thought - get up and 'practice' again! I didn't have any fear flashes and if I had have done it wouldn't have mattered!

In Halfords there are two levels and I usually feel a bit iffy on the way back down the steps. This time however I did it with a big smile on my face, my head held high and said to myself 'bring it on - go on do your worst - BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER!!' - and do you know what - it didn't come! I then proceeded to dance around the shop with my daughter (what a sight!) and then left with a big fat smile on my face!

When I came home and told hubby he said - thats it - you're fixed! My reply was 'no I'm not - but I'm getting there - this will go on for a while - I will have ups and downs - but I know my way now!!'

Good luck guys!

Rach

mazz
28-10-05, 13:23
rach you are doing sooooooo well and along the way your helping me , so thank you so much from the heart mazz xx

Meg
28-10-05, 13:29
Nice one in Halfords and great that you're being gentle on yourself and recognising its a journey not a few steps to reach recovery

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pips
28-10-05, 15:31
YOU GO GIRL GOOD ON YA RACH WELL DONE

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X X X