PDA

View Full Version : Not sure, valerian?

desperate
27-10-05, 14:12
Hi all,

Sorry for being a pain again.

I have these 'Valerian Ultra Plus Tablets - 250mg Valerian Extract with 60mg Hops' tablets that i was going to take to sleep. My sleep though has improved and I do get to sleep even if it isn't totally restful etc.

Anyway I guess my question is can i take these in the day as well? Say if i'm going out for a social event or need to go into town etc?

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment with the combination of the anxiety and depression....the depression means i am quite sluggish etc but then the anxiety when i'm out means i goes ort of spacey and feel like i'm going to fall over almost and that i can digest all the info around me....would the valerian help me with that or is it advisable just to leave it in the cupboard just incase my sleep deteriorates?

Thanks...sorry for the long ramble!
Sarah

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Meg
27-10-05, 14:33
Take them when you've not much to do to see what effect it has first. Don't want you falling asleep in your soup.

I took day ones and night ones so its fine to take during the day when you see what dose you need.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

desperate
27-10-05, 15:36
I might try one tablet first, it says two an hour before bed so.

I didn't know you could get day ones will look into that would be nice to feel a bit more chilled at pubs and things might allow some better thoughts in one in a while, retrain the old brain!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

desperate
27-10-05, 16:07
For anxiety: Take 400-450 mg or 1 teaspoon liquid extract, twice a day, as needed; take 800-1,350 mg at bedtime for sleep.

Found this at

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10064,00.html

If anyone is interested!

Reduce nervous tension, anxiety, and restlessness. German health authorities endorse the use of valerian for restlessness and sleeping disorders that are caused specifically by nervous conditions. In fact, anyone who suffers from stress, panic attacks, or other nervous conditions may want to give valerian a try.

Valerian is thought to lessen anxiety because in blocking brain receptors for the neurotransmitter GABA, it also inhibits nerve impulses and stress-related messages from reaching the brain. More research is needed, however.

Why are the germans so ahead of us?!

desperate
27-10-05, 16:47
Sorry to keep on!

Am getting a bit confused coz just got my packet and says equivalent to 1250mg of valerian root which is a lot! Even if i cut that in half it would still be 625mg and it also has the equivalent of 300mg hops in it too!

Will this knock me out?

What strength did u use Meg?

Meg
27-10-05, 17:34
I used these -Day and night ones - got them at Boots

http://www.medicherb.co.uk/products.html

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

desperate
27-10-05, 17:38
Might just try and quarter of my sleeping ones then, can't see much difference between the two actually expect the hops for at night.

Guess might just be a matter or trial and error a bit and to keep distracted from it!

Dusty
01-11-05, 22:19
Hi

I am not medically trained but I thought I must pass on the advice had from my GP. She told me it was not a good idea to take valerian or SJW with anti-depressants because they will affect the effect of the medication.

("affect the effect" - does that make sense?!)

She also told me that both of them would cause the Pill to be less effective (not that I use it).

I don't know how accurate this information is, but as she is a GP I chose to follow her advice. I bought Rescue Remedy instead of Valerian. Good isn't it?!

Dusty

desperate
01-11-05, 22:24
Hi Dusty,

Youare right on all counts! SJW affects the absorption of the pill into the blood and also if taken with SSRIs etc may cause too mcuh serotonine to be produced!

RR is good yes!!