PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Medication side effects

Meg
27-10-05, 15:50
Public gets yellow card
26 October 2005

The British public is to be encouraged to report side effects of medicines directly to regulators, it was announced yesterday.

The announcement means the Yellow Card scheme will be available to patients throughout the UK.

Patients will get reporting cards from GP surgeries and pharmacies or will fill in reports on-line at yellowcard.gov.uk.

The Yellow Card system has been in place for years and has enabled doctors to report problems with drugs.

However regulators have been testing ways of involving the public directly in reporting possible side-effects.

According to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, the new scheme should be regarded as a "pilot".

MHRA chief executive Professor Kent Woods said: "By inviting people to report their experiences, not only are we able to gain better insights into the safety of medicines, but we can more directly involve people in medicines regulation."

Professor Gordon Duff, chairman of the Committee on Safety of Medicines , said: "The benefits of encouraging patients to complete Yellow Card reports are becoming evident.

Patients provide a different and extremely useful insight into suspected side effects that we cannot easily get from Yellow Card reports from health professionals."

Please especially report serious side effects that are not already on the Patient Information Leaflets.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

tygwyn
27-10-05, 17:52
Thanks for posting this Meg. I will certainly look into this with my GP. When I was prescribed Citalopram she told me I may experience a dry mouth as a side effect! I know for sure that she didn't take seriously the fact that Citalopram brought on acute anxiety for me. When I spoke to another doctor about it he said 'some people get a little agitated but I've never heard of anything else'!! I have since found that this certainly isn't the case after speaking to quite a lot of people about the drug and researching it myself.

Anyone reading this though who is taking or is considering taking Citalopram, please don't be disheartened by this. It does work well for a lot of people - I just don't react well to medication.

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

mazz
30-10-05, 21:32
thanks tygwyn iam on cipralex as you know and wasnt told of any side affects xx finding out the hard way xx