PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new to this site

Downsinthenorth
22-09-09, 18:34
I have suffered from clinical depression pretty much for as long as I can remember - I was diagnosed as a young child. At the moment I am thinking about some alternative ways to deal with my illness rather than just relying on medication (even though I have found it really helpful). I suspect that relying on unhelpful coping strategies to deal with life's stresses and strains, may contribute largely to my situation.

I am forcing myself to deal with situations that frighten me - which by now is almost everything as I have turned avoiding potential threats into an art form. Although it is always initially unpleasant, it is better than feeling hopeless and out of control.

In addition, I no longer allow myself to use alcohol to stop myself from feeling. I still drink, but now I have strict rules for myself: I cannot drink when I feel miserable, I have to be with other people and then I am only allowed one drink. It sounds a bit weird, but I get more of a kick depriving myself of alcohol than I ever did drinking the stuff.

I am trying to find a self-help group near where I live, but haven't had much luck so far. Thought I would sign up to this site to get some support and advice from people in similar situations and, hopefully, I can provide the same in return.

PanicOver!!
22-09-09, 19:04
Hi and Welcome

Im sure you will find lots of help and support here x

Downsinthenorth
22-09-09, 20:45
Thanks very much, PanicOver!! It's great to have some extra support :)

PanicOver!!
22-09-09, 20:53
Know what you mean we all need some sometime
please call me marc x