PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone share their experience of dealing with repeated upsetting thoughts?

Lizzy73
23-09-09, 11:02
I have had anxiety for a number of years and a flare up since early May, despite efforts this isn't improving yet. The latest version of my anxiety leaves me with dreadfully upsetting 'what if' thoughts about harming people or myself. I am so upset by these thoughts that seem to have no particular trigger that I then spiral into panic. I must be crazy, I need to be locked up and I question whether I am safe to be with people. Mostly the thoughts are around knives and yet I have never been violent and those people I worry about harming are those I love the most.
I have seen my GP this morning and he is referring me back to a pychiatrist I saw a few years ago. He is thinking about CBT.
Any one able to share similiar experiences or offer friendly advice?

JohnLuke300
23-09-09, 11:22
Hi Lizzy,

Obsessive thoughts are a common anxiety symptom, as are thoughts of violence. But anxiety sufferers rarely ever carry out the acts they obsess over. I have had obsessive thoughts over the years, they were never been violent but they were embarrassing. :D But I have never been compelled to carry them out. The thoughts can not make us do something we do not wish to. I would recommend CBT as it has had a very positive effect on they way I deal with my anxiety.

Hope that helps

John

sue.b
23-09-09, 14:58
Hi Lizzie

I had these thoughts too, I am suffering with anxiety and depression then out of the blue the thought i might harm my husband popped into my head and the panic and anxiety that followed was sky high for a while.

I have been assured by both my psychiatrist and therapist that i would not carry out these actions they are only intrusive thoughts and are a common symtom of anxiety.

Like you, i an not a violent person, not even moody so a thought like this was so alien to me. I was scared to be with any of my friends or family on their own in case i turned in this monster and hurt them.

Well that was a few weeks ago, every one is still in tact and the thoughts are diminishing. If you can accept that it is only a thought and let it just pass by it will help calm you down a bit.

If you check out under the main menu I think it may be under symptoms or panic attacks, there is some good information. Other people have also posted regarding intrusive thought. Certainly lets you know you are not alone.

If you cant find the page pm and will check through and let you know.

I know it is scary but please beleive me these thoughts are only unpleasant symtoms nothing more.

Take care

Sue xx :hugs:

chloe555
23-09-09, 15:09
Hi lizzie I also suffered with the violent thoughts of harming others and myself.I know exactly how you feel and i would definately reccomend cbt and also clomipramine which is specifically for these ocd intrucive thoughts.Since taking clomipramine i very rarely get those thoughts anymore.Thank God.Feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk about it more.

chloe x:hugs:

Maj
23-09-09, 15:16
Hi Lizzie,

You are not mad! These thoughts are really common in people with anxiety. They depend on your dislike of them to keep happening. The anxious mind is a very clever thing! It's almost as if you are constantly tormenting yourself. You push your thoughts to see how insane you can be! I said before that I firmly believe that it is the most caring, sensitive people who suffer from this. People who wouldn't hurt a fly. Don't try to be scared of the thoughts, let them come and try and relax. Eventually they won't scare you as much and they will subside. Then you'll be able to see them for what they were, only THOUGHTS. Through time even if they happen now and again they won't have the same power over you. I had this many years ago and thought I also was going mad. I read the Claire Weekes book and it was a godsend. When I look back I can't believe I was so scared of them. This will happen for you too given time. Honestly.
Take care
Myra x

Hell's
23-09-09, 15:30
Lizzy, I have the same problem, and believe me I know how horrible they are! Although they are only thoughts, and a thought is only a thing! The 'other' symptons I have learnt to deal with, with my hands behind my back, but the thoughts are horrible. I try and reasure myself that I would never, ever do these things, and it does work. Keep your pekka up - will be thinking of you!!

H.x