PDA

View Full Version : Been put to sleep - SO SCARED

Claire1986
24-09-09, 02:50
I have been having major problems with my teeth for the past 3 months. After antibiotics, hundreds of needles and failed attempts at numbing to extract the teeth i finally got my appointment through for the hospital to get my left upper wisdom tooth and left lower molar cut out on MY BIRTHDAY and what scares me most is the general anaesthetic. Im petrified of been put to sleep and not waking up again. I keep thinking it will trigger something of like my heart will stop or breathing. Its completely irrational but the thought of it scares me to death. I did the worse thing and googled and found things that said your body can shut down, can cause death and all manner of things. I have a feeling i will end up having a full blown panic attack when i get there. Someone give me a slap for been stupid but i cant help it

mandie
24-09-09, 09:50
Hi Claire

I wouldnt say u were stupid, a very common fear which i also have.

Let the hospital staff know yr fears, sometimes they can give u something to calm u down before the op

:hugs:

mandie x

PanicOver!!
24-09-09, 11:28
Hi Clair

I have been in for the wisdom tooth op in hospital

the amount of general anaesthetic they will give you is minimal for this type of op
i have been in twice once for upper wisdom and once for lower wisdom
as mandie says let them know how you feel they are very understanding if you let them know you suffer panic atacks x

lauren6
24-09-09, 15:57
I have had 3 teeth out with IV sedation. Woke up and said "When are you starting?" one time and the other time, "Where's my tooth?" (I was totally unaware that they removed it). This involved a deep rooted tooth and took a while and believe me, I knew nothing and woke up just fine. Please don't be scared, it's the easiest way to do this...I would never be awake if I had to do it again. By the way, it is not a general anesthetic in the sense of ewhat they give for stomach surgery and serious things (although I did have that and am here!)...it's what's called IV sedation most likely and you know nothing just the same. I never knew anyone who had complications...this is done all the time and they know what to do. Try to realize that it's all in our very creative and active imaginations that things will go wrong. Try to think positive. You will be fine, really!!