PDA

View Full Version : Logical Creation and the Belief Construct.

cymraig_chris
24-09-09, 16:22
Post removed by author

tasia
24-09-09, 16:32
crikey...lol

JohnLuke300
24-09-09, 21:40
Hi Chris,

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, recurring into infinity (or 'lol' to the power of 10). :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Some of what you say makes sense, the rest..... that's probably why you are a paradox. :D

All the best

John

bottleblond
24-09-09, 22:02
Hi chris

Is the information printed above copy written at all?

Lisa

cymraig_chris
24-09-09, 23:16
Post removed by author

nomorepanic
24-09-09, 23:20
We cannot copy info on here if it is from a source that is copyright protected cos they will sue me lol

AndrewJ
25-09-09, 00:18
"Anxiety sufferers are on the whole creative personalities who have difficulty with rationalisation (for rationalisation is the implementation of understanding from a logical standpoint). "

I don't believe that is true.

cymraig_chris
25-09-09, 08:14
Post removed by author

cymraig_chris
25-09-09, 08:20
Post removed by author

JohnLuke300
25-09-09, 12:32
Hi Chris,

First statement I agree with, creativity has always been linked with emotion. And anxiety is an emotion so it is right to assume that anxiety sufferers are more emotional than most because they have an emotion imbalance.

The second statement is also true, anxiety skews our perception of reality. It affects our abilities to rationalize in a balanced and logical manner. We tend to think in a more negative way when experiencing a negative emotion like anxiety. But although it is difficult it is not impossible to think rationally using techniques like those employed by CBT.

The third statement is making a rather obvious observation based on the first two statements. You have already told us in the previous statement that anxiety sufferers are creative personalities and that anxiety sufferers have difficulty with rationalization. So it is obvious to assume that a creative personality would also have a difficulty with rationalization based on the premise that emotion affects rationalization (which it does). Although in general I agree with this statement I do not believe that a creative person is unable to rationalize logically. Someone who suffers an emotional disorder, like anxiety, are more prone to being in an emotional state than someone that does not. So a creative personality might be more prone to emotion than a non-creative personality but less so compared to an anxiety sufferer. And when not in an emotional state a creative personality would be capable of rationalizing logically. Take Leonardo Da Vinci, a brilliant scientist that displayed great feats of logic. But also a fantastic artist that lacked very little creativity. He was just one of many throughout history that displayed both logic and creativity.

And finally in the fourth statement I think you are purely stating the obvious.

But of course this is just my opinion. :D

All the best

John

cymraig_chris
25-09-09, 15:42
Post removed by author

Veronica H
25-09-09, 16:03
Hi Chris
you have a brain the size of a planet and it has just purged itself....I agree with some of this and believe you are on to something in part. I will mull it over and get back to you....I love a healthy debate. :bighug1:

Veronica

AndrewJ
25-09-09, 17:40
Please tell me your reasons, which of the following do you disagree with, you may choose more than one obviously.

1) Anxiety sufferers are on the whole creative personalities.
2) Anxiety sufferers have difficulty with rationalisation.
3) Creative personalities have difficulty with rationalisation.
4) Rationalisation is the implementation of understanding from a logical standpoint.

"1) Anxiety sufferers are on the whole creative personalities."

I accept that sensitive, reserved people may be particularly prone to anxiety. Sensitivity may be an element in creativity. There may then be some correlation between anxiety and creativity but I do not see a causal link and disagree that "anxiety sufferers are on the whole creative personalities". This is probably because I am an anxiety sufferer who does not have a great creative urge (even though I see the value in lateral thinking and creative problem solving).

"2) Anxiety sufferers have difficulty with rationalisation."

This is the panic attack forum and you are right in that an inability to rationalize one's anxiety can escalate a panic attack. Aside from panic attacks, feelings of anxiety do not necessarily disappear when recognised as such. Anxiety and depression are mood disorders not psychosis, a sufferer can remain fully realistic. The naturalist Charles Darwin suffered an anxiety-based illness throughout his life yet was able to rationalize the diversity of life from simpler origins.

"3) Creative personalities have difficulty with rationalisation."

This would follow if one fully agreed with the premises in points one and two. I do not for the reasons given above. I don't think of myself as creative so am not really in a position to comment.

“4) Rationalisation is the implementation of understanding from a logical standpoint.”

I think this a fair working definition of rationalism. [Rationalism and logic are technically different in philosophy. Rationalism is a calm, impartial state of mind, whereas logic is the analytic truth evident in mathematics and tautologies.]

These are just my thoughts, wouldn't be at all surprised if someone came along and said "no, creativity is the source of anxiety". My pet hunch is that the psychological keystone in anxiety and depression is a sense of lacking empowerment (which affects self-esteem, sense of control and one's outlook). I have read explanations of alcoholism in terms of diabetes and am somewhat persuaded that there might be a physiological, bloodsugar factor in mood disorders.

JohnLuke300
25-09-09, 17:52
Hi Chris,

Your quote 'Anxiety sufferers are on the whole creative personalities who have difficulty with rationalisation'.

Enough said.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

All the best

John