PDA

View Full Version : Agomelatine (valdoxan)

zionzion
24-09-09, 17:03
is anyone on this? or heard of it?

its a new anti-dep, only a few months in use.

i went to the GP to see if i could go on it to replace my current citalopram, as this new drug has very little side effects, but GP said it wont be available to GP's for a few years. :( til then its only available to psychiatrists or mental health professionals :(

KK77
25-09-09, 01:37
Must say I've never heard of this one... It appears to work in a similar way to mirtazapine, while also increasing melatonin.

However, I'd never want to be a guinea pig for a new drug.

Perhaps in a few years we'll have a Agomelatine section here on NMP...

hamish
09-08-10, 17:50
yes been on this drugs 2 weeks now with no adverse side effects,started at 25 mg for first week and my sleep was amazing had a bit of nausea but sleep was gud
now started on 50 mg for 2nd week hopefully il get better results
but so far so good

jim

sterlinprince
13-08-10, 09:54
I have heard about this medicine becasue my cousin takes it regulerly. Actually this medicine is for the people who have depression problem. This is an antidepressant which is belonging to a class of drugs that is known as norepinephrine dopamine disinhibitors.

suzeelew
27-06-12, 00:10
Can it be used with citalopram. Is it on a private prescription x

purplesky
27-06-12, 08:20
It is very new from what I've read, and works on depression as well as melatonin as melancholia77 says, which is designed to help sleep.

It will be interesting to see how it fairs in the years to come. Hopefully it will be good, because sleep is so damn important yet easily disrupted by mental health problems..

joy
27-06-12, 18:11
I'm on for 3 weeks, nothing much good to report yet. Shrink prescribed it.Doesnt help me sleep

joy

Belleblue
27-06-12, 20:23
I can't seem to tolerate the initial start up side effects of the SSRIs and so was given a prescription for these about two years ago from a psychiatrist. I didn't use it, because I was told I would have to have blood tests for my liver for several months :ohmy: He said that I was the first person he had put on them, laughed and added "you'll be my guinea pig". Well I suppose someone has to be - but I figured I had enough problems without screwing my liver up too!
I haven't heard much about these ADs in the intervening years, either good or bad. It will be interesting to see how they pan out over time.

Joy - are you required to go for liver function tests?

B x

dan1234
27-06-12, 20:30
For depression I have heard good stuff - I think it was shown to be more effective than prozac.

Not much out there for anxiety really.

joy
27-06-12, 21:03
Yes have to have a blood test after 3 weeks, 6 weeks then 6 months dunno after that
My liver was fine after 3 weeks which it seems a good sign. Makes you wonder what these meds do to us

Love Joy

Anyone out there on this as well

dan1234
29-06-12, 11:49
Probs **** us up. But its a case of benefit vs risk...

sparkes
17-08-12, 22:33
Mmm.. in my opinion / experience, it takes 3 months to reach the full benefits of an anti-depressant. so you need to give things time, alot of medication will cause adverse reactions, the first few weeks. but these usually resolve by themselves.

I am on cipralex currently, and moving to valdoxan, due to the sexual side effects of SSRI's

My psychiatrist has advised we move from cipralex to prozac then to valdoxan, due to the potential withdrawal from cipralex (prozac having a longer half-life and being able to get off more easily)

I am tired of the sexual induced side effects of SSRI's and we shall see what valdoxan has to offer, starting dose is prob 25mg, ill give that a few months and then try 50mg if its not working accordingly.

At the end of the day you need to give any medication in the anti-depressant category time to work, a few weeks is not enough, and unfortunately you sometimes just need to ride out the side effects and not quit your medication too soon. Try to bear in mind that the moods / feelings you are having are due to the transition period / start-up period of an anti-depressant, when I first started cipralex, i had terrible insomnia and couldnt sleep well for weeks, but eventually it subsided, like I said, im in the process of moving to prozac and it feels like im starting all over again - last night I probably slept 1 or 2 hours only, but I know that I need to ride it out and give it time.

It really does help if you have a supportive person around you, someone to 'lean' on, whilst you get back on your feet. Expect your emotions to be a bit all over the place for a while as well, ive gone from happy to sad 4 or 5 times just today!! it really is quite a mind-f***, but give it time.

Ill post progress on prozac in a few weeks and then again when I make it to the valdoxan.

Chow:yesyes: