PDA

View Full Version : Right to Die - Do you agree?

DeMac
24-09-09, 17:06
I am opening this thread to find out the thoughts and views from the other members regarding the recent changes in law of the Right To Die

Over the past few years this has made headline news for those who suffer from a Terminal illness travel abroad to Zurich. Anyone who accompany's the patient could face a prision sentence of up to 14yrs for assisting a suicide.

I would like to stipulate that the views and comments to only be regarding Euthansia and NOT how other people feel they'd like their lives to end..

Diane Pretty who suffered from Motor Neurone disease three years ago at the age of 43, attracted widespread sympathy for her plight. She fought an unsuccessful battle through the English courts and the European court of human rights for her husband, Brian, to be allowed to help her commit suicide before she faced difficulties that come in the last stages of the illness.

More recently Debbie Purdy MS sufferer took her case to the High Court's to get the laws changed - she has been successful.

The guidelines issued outline 16 factors likely to result in prosecution and 13 that would help prevent legal action.

Do any of you agree that those who suffer from a Terminal illness - not Mental Health Illnesses - Should be allowed the right to die?

I welcome your thoughts and views on this topic - I have been granted permission from Nicola to open this.

Thanks - Dee

JohnLuke300
24-09-09, 17:13
If their standard of life is so poor, I think it is a mercy to support them in their decision to end their suffering.

But it is a sad and difficult decision to make.

SueBee
24-09-09, 17:20
If a person were to make the decision themselves and for themselves, then, yes, it should be the sufferers right to decide how they end their lives.

The only thing that would worry me is that if a sufferer came to the decision because they didnt want to be a burden to their family.

xBettyBoopx
24-09-09, 18:00
Everyone has the right to die!! As a Christian I shouldn't be saying that, but as a human being going through a miserable rotten stinking life, I believe that if you've had enough, then why not?

Worrier
24-09-09, 18:21
Hi Dee,

I absolutely think that someone has the right to choose if they are in a position where their quality of life is deteriorating and there is no hope.

Actually I know someone who has an ex-husband who went to Switzerland and died by euthanasia as he was suffering from ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease. I don't think this is a crime at all, in fact we as human beings need to be more humane towards our fellow beings I think.

Dee, I would love to chat to you about this further.

Take care
Natalie x

nickieb
24-09-09, 18:32
As a nurse on a daily basis see many people suffering with a terminal illness, whatever it may be. I may have had this conversation a million times with them & i personally believe that if you have a terminal or degenerative illness while you have the capability to make that decision then your wishes should be respected. After all i don't believe anyone should have authority over OUR body's, they are ours!!

I hope one day in my career this becomes legal, as its very distressing at times watching your patients having no control over their illness!!

Good thread x

PanicOver!!
24-09-09, 18:34
Good post

After watching my mum die from cancer over a period of 6 months she constantly said she wanted to go, in the end she stopped eating and drinking so basicly starved herself to death rather that suffer the onging pain

so my answer is yes you should have the right to decide your own end, they even put prisoners on a death sentance to sleep humainly

den68
24-09-09, 19:24
if some one makes the decsion them selves that they no longer want to suffer then yes i think they should be entiteled to end it

kazzie
24-09-09, 19:27
I absolutly agree!!!

Having watched my beloved Dad die from dementia and the gross stupidity of the doctors that kept reviving him(back in the 80s) if I could have helped him die I would have cos its what he wanted!!!

That said I dont believe that people who have any chance of having a reasonable standard of life or for whom a cure is possible should be allowed to do it but if theres no hope why not???

We afford our animals more respect sometimes than we do our fellow humans....who would watch their pet die in agony rather than take them to the vet???

Right off my soapbox now!!!

Kaz :mad:

weeble40
24-09-09, 19:30
Fab post Gloy girl, why dont you add a poll to it,

everyone is owed a life and a death, how and when we choose to end it, should be our choice, afterall how many of us can say we would leave a beloved animal to suffer, none ill bet, in my job Ive seen many people suffer, and when the time comes many have begged for it just to end, I think many Doctors will also agree, its about time we stopped living in the dark ages, and laws were given a major overhall,

Well Done Debbie Purdy xxxxxx

bottleblond
24-09-09, 21:11
Dee

Firstly, this is a fantasticly well written and insightful post and one that i am more than happy to contribute to.

I 100% believe that people should be allowed the right to die when they have a terminal illness. I not only think it is cruel but barbaric that the love ones who accompany their friend/family member on their final journey face prosecution.

I also find it cruel that people who are in this desperate situation have to go to some foreign country to succeed in something that should be their basic human right.

Fab post Dee

Lisa
xxx

diane07
24-09-09, 21:38
I so totally agree with this,

And like lisa said, well done dee on writing this so well.

I work with the elderly, and it is my job to nurse them at their home.

I believe if its what a person wants and they are terminally ill, then it should be their right.

di xx

paullong
24-09-09, 22:19
Yep well said I agree totally that people should be allowed to make that decision. My father died recently but there was a lot of comfort to be had that it was sudden and unexpected unlike watching my auntie die of cancer in excruciating pain. Am sure given the choice its not what she would have chosen.

teez
24-09-09, 22:27
im in full agreement, if your quality of life is next to nothing then i believe you should have the comfort of knowing you can be helped to a peaceful death,,which is with your loved ones and dignified,,as a cancer sufferer,,ive made no secret what i want when the times right ,,even though it goes againstmy belief,

DeMac
24-09-09, 23:45
Thankyou to all of you who have added comments to my post.

As quite a few have stated - If we watched an animal suffer the most humane act we could do is have it put to sleep to end its pain. People on death row for murder are killed by a lethal injection - due to so many Civil Rights campaigners these murderers lives ebbs away without pain unlike their victims.

I firmly believe that each and everyone of us - should have the right for their wishes to carried out and be allowed to die with dignity -When all avenues and fields have been exhausted medically nothing more can be done for the patient - then it's time they are given a choice.

Diane Pretty tried so hard to fight for that right like many more - I personally applaud Debbie Purdy for fighting for what she believes in. She has made a significant breakthough for fellow suffers. A woman much to be admired for her courage.

leo05
25-09-09, 00:36
i think that it should b up to who ever is coping with thier illness to decide what to do and that if they are helped by someone else that they should not face jail.

i kinda told ya this earlier eh dee lol

ya know ma views on it

our life - our choice

luv n hugs

lea xx

flymo9
25-09-09, 01:10
I deffinetly agree that ppl who have these terminal illnesses should be allowed to have choice if they wanna go to zurich and have assisted suicide, as after all alot of these terminal illnesses are awful with latter side effects and wot it does to the individual.....I mean a vet wouldnt let a dog suffer unnesscessarily...so why should humans have to...im all for ppl having the choice to do that if they want xx and certainly its wrong for family etc who go with them to be prosecuted for helping a loved one when it their request before dying......their right of choice for sure ....

Anxious_gal
25-09-09, 02:18
ooo I worked in a old folks home for a few months and one old lady her mind was gone, her body was covered in sores.
if an animal was that ill and you didn't put it down it would be considered cruel!
I someone wants to die rather than suffer a painful death then let them it's there life, their body their choice.
there are some countries that allow assisted suicide and i know some people who are able will fly over there.

Southern_Belle
01-10-09, 16:50
Before my Grandmother died a death of starvation and dehydration of 11 days I would have said no. I can now honestly say that having stayed with her in Hospice where she was in a coma for 6 of those days at the age of 97 and 8 months I have changed my mind. Why could they have not upped her morphine? Of course logically I know the reason is because there will be those that will abuse the law, but for those of us who have written consent from our loved ones that they do not want to be resuscitated, I just can't see why not.

Lauraxxx