PDA

View Full Version : Panic brought on by boredom? Blah.

pd
25-09-09, 16:18
Does anyone else find that their anxiety/panic is worse when they have nothing to do? Is it that an unoccupied mind resorts back to overanalysing everything? Or something like I have been so busy recently that panicking would have been extremely counterproductive so somehow managed to keep a lid on it until it was 'safe' to let it out?? (Can't stop analysing...)

Just had my first proper panic attack in a few weeks (I've still been anxious/worried), and I think it was brought on by having nothing else to occupy my mind. For the past few weeks I've felt a bit better and I've been rushing around like a blue arsed fly, getting ready to go back to uni, moving into my new house, unpacking, sorting everything in my house out, sorting out my societys stuff for freshers week, getting ready to start new job etc etc etc, and no panic attack even though a lot of stuff happened that usually would have set me off.

Today I've had literally nothing to do. I got up, bummed around the house, I got so bored I even cleaned the kitchen :roflmao:

And then I started panicking about... nothing. I've calmed down a fair bit now, but there's this high level of background anxiety that I cannot explain or control, my mind has been racing back over the past few weeks and picked up on things I said/did, things other people said/did, tiny little things and nuances that I didn't pick up on before. HA has kicked back in and I'm really concerned about my headache, and I think I could go back into full blown panic any moment...

Anyone else feel worse when there's nothing else to think about??

Blah.

bellabessnjet
25-09-09, 16:45
Yeah know what you mean,
If i'm with someone or talking or doing something im not to bad. But left on my own im constantly on edge looking for ants (I have phobia) searcing etc. But ironically ifeel safer in my own house or close friends but if I meet someone outside I'll start to panic. What wonderful things stress/anxiety/depression are hey. Blah from me to

Bill
26-09-09, 02:58
One term I often use to describe the cause of this type of event is "boredom stress". When we have nothing to occupy the mind, the mind will look for something to worry about whether its thoughts or feelings. This is why we should never sit doing nothing or lay down just thinking. Always have a hobby to hand such as a crossword or listen to your favourite music. Never sit or lay down doing nothing in silence.

However, it's true to say that we Should be able to sit or lay down without worrying or experiencing panic and the only way to learn how to do this is to focus on a relaxation technique to help you unwind.

One other thought is this...

I've been rushing around like a blue arsed fly, getting ready to go back to uni, moving into my new house, unpacking, sorting everything in my house out, sorting out my societys stuff for freshers week, getting ready to start new job etc etc etc,.................Today I've had literally nothing to do. I got up, bummed around the house, I got so bored I even cleaned the kitchen .........And then I started panicking

Often what happens is that when we feel really stressed due to too much to do, the body will produce adrenalin to help us to cope with the pressure but the problem is, it doesn't know when to stop so that when the pressure is off, the "train takes time to come to halt". This excess adrenalin is then rushing around our body without being used so often it feels like a delayed reaction to a stressful period but I feel it's the adrenalin still rushing around that causes the panic because the body isn't being allowed to relax. After a while though, the adrenalin does ease and then we are able to relax!

I'm not sure if what I've said is entirely true but that's what I think happens as it's a very common reaction that occurs after a very stressful period.:shrug:

maddie
26-09-09, 03:23
I agree with Bill. it's kind of like when we've really looked forward to something and afterwards there's a sense of anticlimax, of "what now". It's great that you have achieved so much without panicking. If you can just ride through the aftermath as your body slows and stops producing adrenalin, you'll be fine. I find it helps to be strict with myself and insist on doing a short relaxation exercise even on the busiest days so it automatically works to calm me if/when the panic returns.

pd
28-09-09, 15:59
Thank you for the replies everyone, it all makes sense, I think... now I just have to stop it happening :shrug:

Happened again today, rushed around doing lots of stuff all morning, got home, realised I had nothing to do here, and anxiety has been sky high ever since. Almost like I can only relax when I'm rushing around doing five things at once.

Hmmm. :mad:

Maj
28-09-09, 16:49
Yet again Bill you have given really good explanation of anxiety and good advice. The train coming to a halt really applies to me at times. When I'm stressed I just go into auto-pilot and push myself to the limit. It's after the event that all of a sudden I feel really anxious. I've just been through a scenario like that recently and that's why I found this site. I agree with what you say - it all catches up with you eventually. Thanks again for that.
Myra