PDA

View Full Version : Long term effexor side effects?

ConfusedByLife
25-09-09, 23:01
I've been on effexor about 8 years now (75mg). Im wondering if anyone else has been on them this long or longer, and if they noticed any changes in side effects over time? I tried to come off them 2 years ago and almost went insane with withdrawal symptoms so i've kind of resigned myself to staying on them for the forseeable future and my doctor doesnt seem to mind. Lately i've been getting really tired. i'm 26 but often feel drained after doing very little. A lot more now than I used to. Tiredness is a big side effect of these meds for me. Sometimes now I almost feel the "brain zaps" that I got during the times I was trying to come off it even though I havent changed the dose. Just wondering if anyone else has any long term use side effect stories as most people here seem to be only on it short periods???

KK77
28-09-09, 00:20
Never been on Effexor but I was on Seroxat which is similar for 7 years and I used to feel tired and fatigued a lot of the time too. But at least you're on a low dose - a lot of people are on over 200mg - so I hope that's some comfort to you...

Best of luck!

Danath
28-09-09, 02:21
its a hard antidepressant to come off, I found it difficult after a few months to come off venlafaxine - there are ways of coping with withdrawal, such as a strict tapering regime to assist with coping with withdrawal symptoms it might be worth asking your doctor about.

reallyfedup
28-09-09, 12:48
I have just been increased to 150 mg but feel it's making my anx worse(10 days now) What is the best way for me to come back down to my old dose of 75 mg xl morning and 37.5 mg (not xl)taken in evening.? Any advice please?:unsure:

Danath
28-09-09, 12:59
I have just been increased to 150 mg but feel it's making my anx worse(10 days now) What is the best way for me to come back down to my old dose of 75 mg xl morning and 37.5 mg (not xl)taken in evening.? Any advice please?:unsure:

I had that too, i was doing ok on 75mg, then got aq little worse, but a raise to 150mg seemed to exacerbate things... not sure why, maybe its jsut something this particular AD does...

reallyfedup
28-09-09, 13:12
Danath, did you just stop taking the extra dose if you felt it made you worse. This is what I am thinking of doing:unsure:

karen34
17-12-09, 03:18
i have been taking venlafaxine for almost 9 yrs now with the dose varying from 75 -150mg, i did try to come off it around 2005 (was down to 37.5mg) but things went a bit pear shaped (bad nausea, shakey feelings, panic attacks and depression got worse) and dose went back up. as for side effects im often tired but i sometimes have trouble sleeping and i have put on loads of weight but who knows if meds are to blame or not :shrug:

mikl
04-01-10, 17:37
Like all medication some unwanted side effects may occur but in my experience which goes back over many years Duloxetine is worth sticking with. My main problem was itchy skin but it went eventually after many lost nights sleep, which just reminds me could be a side effect too, difficulty sleeping that is.
Now if you come to a decision to stop taking them DO NOT STOP ABRUPTLY you will regret it. What I did in the past just to prove to myself that I could do it was to carefully open the capsule and using a damp cocktail stick dip into the little balls and remove a tiny number. Do this for 2 week's supply. Then do a slightly bigger dip in for the next 2 weeks and so on until you have only a tiny amount left in the las two week's supply. So it may take upto 3 months to get off them but I believe it is the most painless way. Of course this will depend on how long you have been taking them for.I had been on them for several years so it took a little longer. I take them now because when I do on the whole ,I feel near normal whatever that means.As it happens I accidentally forgot to take them for a week and I had a horrendous experience which completely messed up my Christmas.I take a lot of medication for other conditions and the Venlafaxine was missed out.
Hope this is of help to you and others in the same sort of situation.
Best wishes mikl X

Carys
23-01-10, 22:38
I've been on effexor about 8 years now (75mg). Im wondering if anyone else has been on them this long or longer, and if they noticed any changes in side effects over time? I tried to come off them 2 years ago and almost went insane with withdrawal symptoms so i've kind of resigned myself to staying on them for the forseeable future and my doctor doesnt seem to mind. Lately i've been getting really tired. i'm 26 but often feel drained after doing very little. A lot more now than I used to. Tiredness is a big side effect of these meds for me. Sometimes now I almost feel the "brain zaps" that I got during the times I was trying to come off it even though I havent changed the dose. Just wondering if anyone else has any long term use side effect stories as most people here seem to be only on it short periods???

Hi. I've been on venlafaxine for over 11 years now. I started on 225 mgs daily and decreased this over the first few years, until about 6 years ago when I found I could decrease it no further without having dreadful side effects.

I am now only on one 37.5 mg tablet daily, and have been for the last 6 years, but simply cannot get off the med. I have felt well enough to come off it, and my GP has encouraged me to do so as feels it is having minimal effect at such a low dose. However, the electric shock-type feelings down one side of my body are dreadful, totally debilitating. They begin within a few hours of being late in taking the tablet, and if I move my eyes the 'shock' travels through my head and down my left side. The longer I leave taking the tablet, the worse the withdrawl effects become until I find I can't physically function.

I take the tablet and - within 30 minutes the withdrawl symptoms are gone ! So, I have no idea if I will ever get off venlafaxine. I'm not too bothered at the moment though to be honest, as it literally 'saved my life' when I started taking it, and I got no side effects from the medication itself - Blood pressure good, no other side effects as listed on the leaflet, and luckily no tiredness at all :) I just wish that the doctors had heard of this problem in withdrawing from venlafaxine, as mine looks at me like I'm displaying some sort of vivid imaginary problem. In answer to your question, no I've not had side effects at all either at the start of taking or nowadays, but the damn withdrawl symptoms are hideous, so I can really relate to you on that !

osmfmly
25-02-10, 00:04
I've been using Effexor XR at 300 mgs a day for many years! I first began this medication in 2002. Beginning the medication was very difficult as I experienced an increase in anxiety and panic attacks, as well as flu like symptoms. A new doctor attempted to change my Effexor to the medication called Pristiq. Within three days I was in our local emergency room due to a severe panic attack accompanied by a severe headache. I've used all the meds imaginable, but the Effexor is the only medication that has provided continual help. My previous doctor recommended that I continue to use it until menopause due to the hormonal issues that arise in women. For some, panic attacks increase during the menopausal changes.

osmfmly
25-02-10, 00:07
So Sorry, I am new to using this type of messaging. I believe the question was about side effects. I am tired, but I do not know that it is due to the medication or just my normal jittery nature! The worst side effect that has continued is the loss of libido. It seems to have gotton worse over the years.

Kilsally
06-09-10, 01:00
weight gain for me, alos seem to have alot of spots on back and chest sinc estarting venlafaxein 9 months ago and since capsules were changed to venlalic 225mg xl tablets have been getting what i presume is indigestion or heartburn which i never had before .............. foggy head / dizziness and extreme headaches even if i miss one dose which is relieved within half an hour of taking med.

cliffkelly
01-03-11, 10:32
I have been on Effexor for about 6 years. It has been very good to me. The only side effect I had was headaches. Now I'm on Effexor and Wellbuturin. It is much better.

charmer
01-03-11, 13:32
venlafaxine (effexor) started out as a wonderful medicine for me. it gradually showed unwanted side effects that outweighed the benefits. when i decided i wanted to get off the stuff it was hell. i could manage a day without it but by the second day i would feel awful and have to take another one. i went from 150mg to 75mg which was ok but i couldn't get off it completely my doctor wasn't very sympathetic so i tried to lower my dosage by separating the capsule and emptying out half of the little balls and clasping the capsule back together and taking what i thought would have been about 37.5mg. i know it was i dodgy thing to do and my doc wasn't impressed when i told him but it helped me to get to a level where i felt near normal. what happened helped me feel better in myself and seemed to keep my body happy that it was still getting a little bit of the effexor.
in the end though i was given nefazodone to replace the effexor and that was much easier to get off. they were tablets which could be broken in half and i managed to gradually take less until i came off it completely.

leilabanks
25-11-11, 15:45
New to this site.....
I've been taking venlafaxine for 9 years now. Was given it at 18 and none of my G.Ps have given me any help or motivation to come off it. I am a pharmacy student and I am aware that it has ever changing NICE guidlines about length of treatment etc but can anyone give me anymore info? I know in the scheme of things it is a relatively newish med (as opposed to say aspirin) - what is this doing to me?!?!?!
After years of taking 300mg daily I have managed to wean myself down to 150mg daily but it's been so hard. My body is physically dependent on it and if I haven't taken it within 2 seconds of waking up I can FEEL it. If I miss a dose for a couple of hours (say take at 11am not 9am) I am ruined, may as well write the next few days off. I am not exaggerating and it scares me on a daily basis. One night every week or so I lie awake and worry about what this is doing to me. Also, if I were to get pregnant etc.... scary.
I am aware that I am a changed person.
I work full time in a busy pharmacy at the moment and have done for 7 years, and I see this all the time.
G.P.s need to address this type of issue instead of simply dishing out meds every 28 days.
I waited 11 months and 1 week on my local PCT counselling service for 1-1 time ( can no longer afford £20 per hour private counselling)
I think this is disgusting. If someone comes to you for help as they are suicidal the OBVIOUS thing to do is to NOT do anything for 11 months bar the odd "still waiting for your place to become available- very busy service" letter...!!!!
Why do drug addicts and alcoholics get rent, free prescriptions, council tax, free needles, free methadone etc. from working in a pharmacy giving free stuff out to people who aren't trying, don't pay for anything, don't work, getting off their heads for free (we are paying) makes me even unhappier.
Are they more important than us phenomenally unhappy people who are trying to change their lives and carry on working and pretending life is fine.

I am very sorry to rant, but 9 years of worry is pouring out.
Never felt like anyone else understands.

kleebz23
16-12-11, 09:31
Hi Leilabanks,
I have joined this site today as I want to try and come off Venlafaxine also - I am on 75mg a day which is a low dose but i think i have been on this for nearly 8 years now, if i forget to take one tablet i get dizzy, sweating and just feel odd.
I mentionned coming off this to my GP who was little help and said to take one every other day then stop - well reading up on this - it does not seem very easy to come off this type of AD?
I dont want to take it anymore, I don't know if the problems are still there underneath the medication but I am scared to stop taking it incase i turn into a horrible, moody person to be around. What if it affects everything?

erin31
21-12-11, 00:12
As someone who is coming off effexor for the second time I can tell you that for me it was not easy. The first time I came off effexor I suffered terrible sickness and diarrhea along with shivers, headache, a severe cold which lasted for well over a week and yep those terrible brain zaps.
This time around I am taking 5 htp and it really has helped cut down the physical symptoms especially the brain zaps. I also took travel tablets for a couple of days which stopped the sickness.
I am though extremely weepy and have sudden feelings of extreme anger although I find a 50mg dose of 5 htp taken immediately I feel the anger rising helps me greatly.
I have not had a cold at all this time and wonder if that is also down to the 5 htp. I have though read that many people take Benadryl to ease cold and flu symptoms.
I think the important thing if you are coming off effexor is to be aware that although some people do not have any withdrawal symptoms others have many and that withdrawal in a lot of instances will last weeks.
If effexor is working for you and you don't feel confident about coming off then maybe the time is not yet right for you.
If you do decide to come off please keep us updated.

rosiethebear
26-05-12, 07:53
I have been on Effexor for many years. About 3 years ago while I was on 225mg I decided to reduce it by half. I was in pure hell for two months. Nausea, vertigo, extreme anxiety and of course depression. I was desperate but could not get a proper mental health care professional to talk to. Finally I got an appt to see a psychiatric nurse who I could "talk" to who did more harm than good - how these unqualified mental cases get that kind of position is beyond me. She was so negative and had a combattant attitude and was more interested in giving her opinions about the world than listening to mine. I felt suicidal after seeing her. I finally got an appt with a psychiatrist after many weeks - I could have killled myself 20 times by then. He told me what I was experiencing was my mental problem NOT withdrawal systems. In spite of my despair I decided his advise about increasing it again was not happening. I rode it out - luckily I wasn't working at the time and could just stay home and sleep a lot. I then knew this was powerfully addictive both physically and mentally. I read a blog which someone (I thank her to this day) suggested to go slow and take 2 - 1000mg of omega 3 salmon oil at lunch and 1 - 1000mg at supper time. It helps a lot! So I went from 75mg down to 37.5mg and suffered a little for two weeks. That was 2 years ago. Now I felt ready and have been reducing the 37.5mg by half. I open up the cap and dump the grains into a tiny bowl, wet my finger and take half the grains. Its going good and I,m just about ready to finish up completely. You just have to take the bull by the horns and do it slowly so long as you don;t have anything traumatic going on in your life right now. Don't forget the salmon oil! You will be amazed how much it helps! I can tell you - I will never go on another head medication ever again! I have high blood pressure now - possibly as a result of taking effexor. Accept yourself. Society is not normal - you probably are! Love yourself as you love others. Don;t fret the small stuff. We are supposed to learn how to deal with human emotions. A lot of people have anxiety in certain social situations (public speaking for one), suffer from stress - it is normal part of life. Today's western society pulls us out all the time. We need to turn in sometimes and some of us need that more than others. Our society is run by left brained extroverts so naturally introverted right brained people are going to feel odd - revel in it! Get into meditation and give yourself time to ponder the mysteries of life. Everyday stop and admire nature, a forest, river, sunset, stars and moon and realize you are a special part of something bigger!

Lostwentways
03-06-12, 16:00
I have been taking 150mg venlafaxine for 7 years along with 10mg temazepam, sometimes 20. I recently moved and the new practice was keen to get me off both of these. They stopped the temazepan pretty much immediately and stepped me off the venlafaxine. The draw down from venlafaxine was not too bad and I managed to drop the drug completely for about 3mths. I thought I had got away from it ok, but gradually I became more and more anxious and depressed and then my life really fell apart so I went back to the GP and explained the situation and it was decided as venlafaxine had worked before I should be put back on a reduced dose, 75mg.
The anxiety and depression is getting much better, but I have been hit again by chronic insomnia. I am wide awake but have not slept for 4 days. I am trying some over the counter meds tonight; there is no chance of my new doctors prescribing temazepam. I will be back there on Wednesday and explain the situation and see if the GP has any ideas.
The one thing that had worked this year was the kicking off the meds, but coming off the medication revealed a psyche that was really rather damaged and afraid. I saw it all too clearly when off the meds for a month or so. I have cause to be worried as some of the financial and personal decisions I made whilst taking the drug have been unfortunate. Whether I am to blame or the drugs, I do not know, probably a combination of both.

ktq
31-07-12, 14:34
Hi, I have stopped taking all my meds progressively and am struggling through withdrawals. I was on Paroxetine for 6 years and it lost its effect. P Doc put me on Pristiq which nearly sent me mad and twice attempted suicide. Hospitalised with further severe side effects, then had to go cold turkey. I'm also withdrawing from Lamictal, which is equally frightening. I have been reading - slowly - Whittaker's book on psych drugs and how they help for a while, but seem to not be a long term benefit - and monsters to get off!! Rosiebears comment about the doc saying it was her illness and not the drug withdrawal aligns with my docs comments. Whittaker argues it is the drug convincingly! MY hubby says even though I am suffering withdrawals he can begin to see the 'real me' coming back. I suffer from anxiety, depression, OCD, mania, chronic headaches........ I just wanted a pill to make it all go away. I am so confused and so concerned that how I am now is the result of drug induced changes in my brain that I will never be better. When I started on Paroxitine all those years ago I was only mildly depressed. Now I have so many other debilitating problems I don't know what to do. P docs just want to try more drugs till "one works - there are over 26 we can try!!!" I can't think straight, have loss of memory and am angry mostly and withdrawn from social contact. I sleep most of the day (and night) with little motivation for anything! I am so reluctant to stay on the drug bandwagon, but I'm scared that I'm now in the drugs clutches I have no other answer. Is there any light at the end of this tunnel?

skylace22
17-10-12, 22:50
Hi - I started taking venlafaxine back in 1999 and was started on 37.5mg - i literally barely slept for a whole week and lost 7lbs in that week because I could not sit still. I came off the drug (wasn't exactly taking it regularly) then tried prozac, dothiepin, seroxat and another drug (can't remember the name). Have been back on venlafaxine now since around 2002 and the dose has gradually increased from 37.5mg up to 300mg. The only difference that I notice is that i have to take the tablets around the same time everyday because even missing a dose by a couple of hours and I get really bad headaches and shakes. If I miss a dose completely I get weird dreams and all sorts of freaky side effects which weren't so bad on a lower dose

Annip
01-11-12, 11:59
Hi all
I am taking Venlafaxine ..37.5 x2 daily and have done so for nearly 2 years. When it works it is wonderful and I feel strong and 'normal'. Earlier in the year I began to taper as I felt so well. It was horredous. As soon as I started to feel low, anxious, frightened I took my normal dose again assuming I would just feel ok by the next day. OH NO that was not the case. I assume I suffered from withdrawal side effects and side effects from restarting. My doctor said it was me not the tablets. I had everything that the leaflet said I might. It took 8 weeks to start to feel okish again. once the tablets became established again I carried on as normal and for 6 months now I have felt fine. That is until last week. I had a terrible bout of gastroenteritis and was very ill for 24 hours. 3days later I started to feel very low and emotional. Crying and anxious. Agitated. Feeling sick and heaving. Not eating. Now day7 and feeling worse today. could this be because my venlafaxine came out of my system and I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Feeling very anxious and so don't want to be here again.
I know everyone is struggling who comes on this site but it helps me to read what others go through.
Thank you Annip

Mark75
14-11-12, 08:30
Hello. I have been on 75mg Venlafaxine for just over 2 months now and am going back down to 37.5mg. Reason being no feeling during sex, general ambivalence to important decisions and elevated liver lab results, also want to detox somewhat. So far, nothing bad has happened, a few weird dreams and a bit of uneasiness, but alas, no zaps or spasms of any kind. I figure another two weeks of 37.5mg and then down to zero. Although this stuff makes me very “smooth“ (people have noticed me to be sooo bearable :-), I prefer my edgy, witty and critical old self mainly b/c of better overall judgment and the sex thing.

meditatedontmedicate
31-01-13, 17:58

I get very tired after not doing a lot. Ive just stopped taking venlafaxine since the start of the month after around 10 years of taking various dosses but for the bulk of it 375mg/day. Im noticing the tiredness more now that Im off the pills. Im hoping its not going to take years to get my old energy back!..

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

hi Mark, do you mean no physical sensation/feeling during sex? Or emotionally?! Ive noticed a loss of the physical sensation down there when in the act!..

Flo007
30-04-13, 14:03
Hey, I've been on Venlafaxine/effexor for about 3 years now (at 375mg a day). It can be rough to start with but once you settle into it things tend to smoothe out. Probably the worst side effect has been the withdrawl symptoms I get if I miss a dose (even by an hour or two). It can be utterly crushing if it happens (and it's bound to at some point). The best thing I can compare the experience to is that it's like coming down off an A class illegal substance. Although I'm not sure if this is experienced by everyone or only apparent on the higher dosage.

My advice is to ALWAYS have an emergency backup dose (at least a days worth) accessible at all times just incase you get caught out somewhere. Also try to keep up a reasonably good diet and some basic exercise as Venlafaxine can really hit your stomach (especially if you have not had a decent nights sleep).

As to the (very) long term effects of the drug: the medical pro's I've spoken to (GP, specialist and psychaiatrist etc) aren't really too sure of what it will do to the body, as it hasn't been in use long enough to find out. They suggested getting an annual blood sample done to keep an eye on liver function/blood counts etc just to be on the safe side.

I hope that helps (and was readable)! :)

grvjoe
20-05-13, 19:18
I can really relate to the above posts!!. I have been on Venlafaxine for about 5 years now, with various dosages 37.5-75-150 mg and then back to 37.5 mg since the past 1.5 years. I also put on a lot of weight in these years but the worst thing was the withdrawal symptoms even if I skipped a single dose. I suffered something called as Sleep Paralysis,wherein I could not move my eyes and limbs for some seconds although I was conscious the whole time, this scary symptom only came when I skipped a dose.

Finally after suffering through a lot of personal issues and increased anxiety since the past few months, I finally decided to slowly taper of this medicine, I somehow feel that the sideeffects of this med were outweighing the potential benefits for me. I have now come down to 37.5 mg per 2 days. The most immediate symptoms I am feeling are- increased anxiety, brain shocks, vertigo, memory weakness and fatigue. I really hope and pray I can come off this medicine and get treated via therapy. :)

kbgadhvi
30-09-13, 14:55
........... and if I move my eyes the 'shock' travels through my head and down my left side. The longer I leave taking the tablet, the worse the withdrawl effects become until I find I can't physically function.

Hi everybody..

I have quoted the above para only bcoz this is one of the worst experience that people are generally unable to describe in words to their doctor or to family or friends... and people around you will never understand this particular experience.. so useless to explain..

However, after going thru all the odd and unwanted and unpleasant sensations of withdrawing Venlafaxine I have concluded, atleast for myself, that MIND is your BEST HELP.. I do not intend to say that with a strong mind you will not experience any ugly sensations, but you will gather a strength to fight the symptoms.

Make yourself ready, Convince yourself that for certain weeks or months you are going to feel horrible, but God has made our body adaptable to every newer situation, so soon your body will start living without this drug and whatever changes will be needed will be auto made by your own body to suit the new pathology. Ofcourse its much easier said than done, but I have done it myself, so I know it. Also I have helped 4 people withdrw this drug. I have come off Venlafaxine and Clonazepam totally with very my will power.

Most essential tips : Cigarettes and Alcohol are your enemies.. and a good exercise or even some Long walk is your best friend... Long walks helps your body to release certain helpful chemicals which soothe from withdrawal..

and most important of all... be a witness to you body.. observe the ugly sensations in your body as if its somebody else's body and your are only observing.. all the time convince your heart and mind that this phase will pass by.. ugly symptms will reduce sooner or later.. normal feeling will come back..

Wish you all the best...

shadowstriker
30-09-13, 20:23
Have been on it for 6 weeks 37.5 twice a day for 2 then I was increased was on 37.5 at night 75 morning have the same problem increased anxiety seen my dr today he's put me back down to 75 I was on modified release and normal he wants me to stay on the 75 modified release then increase it to 150mg he wants me to stay on 1 form to see if I don't get as agitated because it has a slower release dreading going without the 37.5 will get brain zaps :(.

rengewwj
18-12-13, 20:13
I've been on Effexor and its cousins for 20 years. I tried to wean off by skipping doses about 10 years ago and experienced most of the horrors outlined by the other posts, above.

Now, I'm off of that stuff and I did it without any head zaps, nausea or anything. Here's how.

First, you need to get on to the XR type because its formulation inherently has fewer ups and downs as your body metabolizes the drug beyond its half life. This is also required because you need to be taking a type with the little "beads" inside of gel caps.

Next, get your dosage weaned down to a single 75mg XR capsule per day. At one point I was at 300 per day but didn't have much problem dropping the dosage over about a month.

In the mean time, purchase or otherwise acquire a milligram scale. Bought this cheap one from Amazon: American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G [Sorry, the forum won't let me post the link.]

Once you get your scale and learn how to use it, weigh out the contents of one of your XR caps. Mine are around 253mg of little beads. [If yours are different weight, you need to use that number in the formula below.]

You need to buy or create a tiny little spoon or "shepherds crook" tool to scrape a very tiny quantity of beads out of capsules.

Count out 30 full capsules. One at a time, squeeze the capsule base slightly and twist off the cap. Into your scale's pan, scrape 5% of the beads out of the capsule, then put the top back onto the capsule and save it into a pill bottle. [Assuming that your capsules contain 253mg of beads: 0.05 x 253 = 12.65 so you want to scrape out 13mg of beads -- a very tiny amount.]

Take these "reduced strength" caps, 1 per day, for a month.

Next month take 10% out of 30 more caps and take them for a month.

Reduce the strength by 5% per month until you're down to 50% strength. You should experience ZERO withdrawal symptoms.

At 50%, I began removing 10% per month and continued until I was down to zero. Again, there should be no symptoms.

I never had any physical symptoms using this method and since I'm now retired and essentially stress-free, there is no reason for depression. I'm off that evil drug and feeling great.

Hope this helps someone else.