PDA

View Full Version : My symptoms are ONLY Mental

Joellie
26-09-09, 10:16
I have sever anxiety (doc said he cant diagnose GAD without it being 6 months of this) and hes given me bedranol (beta blocker) to try and help but i only have mental symptoms. I worry, i analyse, i think about things to the point where im crying and depressed. I dont know if this means i even have anxiety, im worried it means i dont which means every thing i worry about is real and then im crazy.

What do you think? Does anxiety have to have the heavy heart beat? I get a knot in my stomach and can feel sick from it.

pollyanna
26-09-09, 10:45
Hi Joellie

Not everyone gets 'heavy heartbeats' with anxiety, but you have said you symptoms are only mental, but knots in your stomach and nausea are physical symptoms.

wether physical symptoms , mental or both, they are all very distressing.
Although betablockers are a good treatment for palpatations, they regulate your heart rate. this is turn dampens things down , and helps you to feel a bit calmer.
You are certainly not crazy, these feelings are real, and many people with anxiety having these thoughts that go round and round in their mind,it is very exhausting and distressing. I have experienced all of the things you have described, it does get better with time.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care

P x

Joellie
26-09-09, 11:14
Thanks :) Yeah i just find alot of people on here have alot of physical symptoms. I will go bck to my doctors next week though because i dont think these are working

Panic33
26-09-09, 15:01
Hi Joellie,

At first I was having physical symptoms, but after having bloods etc done - these have all calmed down. I am now left with the mental symptoms - these are hard for me to prove being just anxiety and I spend half the day thinking they are and half I have something wrong in my head. Worry seems to take over my mind and I get brain fog and racing mind, sometimes head aches. Even when I'm not at full anxiety/worry - I spend the rest of the day analysis my thoughts. I would say from what you have posted all could be down to anxiety.

Joellie
27-09-09, 10:47
Yeah the doctor thinks so, i felt the same though i was like"well if theyre not physical then what if its all me and im messed up?"

Panic33
27-09-09, 10:57
Yeah the doctor thinks so, i felt the same though i was like"well if theyre not physical then what if its all me and im messed up?"

This is exactly what I spend half my day battling within myself try to convince all is ok.

Joellie
27-09-09, 20:42
Eugh i just feel a bit of a mess with it all. At the moment i think my meds are giving me more symptoms than before, i just feel tired, i feel sick but then i cant tell if im just full from dinner or if im anxious but then im anxious over nothing. Earlier i was watching a film i didnt want to with my boyfriend and i thought "im bored" then i got all anxious for no reason over it and couldnt watch the film as the sick/anxious feeling got worse so i tried to sleep it off, i did but now im awake again im trying to keep positive and upbeat to kill the feelings!