PDA

View Full Version : is there a virus going about?

crystalshimmer
26-09-09, 12:03
I caught a cold about 3 weeks ago. Sore throat,blocked nose,no sense of smell. Instead of going away after a week,it was no better and I had an occasional dry cough.Last week,still totally blocked nose,but now going down in to my chest with a nasty cough. I looked up the symptoms of swine flu, but didn't have the fever or nausea and generally felt Ok apart from the above symptoms. I have mild COPD after years of smoking and had some Amoxycillin at home which I started taking last week. I couldn't sleep at night for the constant coughing,and tried sleeping upright,getting up and walking about etc. During the day,although the cough was still there,I didnt feel too bad,but the antibiotics were nearly finished and still no improvement.I got an appt yesterday and the dr gave me an inhaler,which I have to use 4 times a day at first and then as required.However,suffering from Health Anxiety as I do,I have convinced my self that its not just an ordinary chest infection Could it be pneumonia? or is it really Swine flu and I don't have all the symptoms?. I worked myself up so much that I was sitting in the waiting room with a pain in my chest and feeling very sick,and waves of anxiety and panic coming over me. I was on the point of telling the receptionist I felt really ill,when I got called in to the Dr.I tried to tell her how bad I felt.She listened to my chest and said it sounds clear and then gave me an inhaler. Her parting shot was If you get any worse over the weekend,ring NHS 24 and we will come out to the health centre and see you.My cough is still here, I had no sleep last night again,and I have never had a cold lasting so long,or a cough that a week of antibiotics didnt cure. I have heard other folk complaining about having a cold ,and I hope that there is someone else having the same symptoms as me,so I can take a bit of comfort knowing that i am not the only one and thas its not anything more sinister than a bad strain of a cold. Sorry this is so long,but I have been panicking over this for a whole week now,and its still shows no sign of going away

crystalshimmer
26-09-09, 12:08
forgot to add that I stopped smoking 4 years ago

Cell block H fan
26-09-09, 15:04
There is always viruses going about, especially at the moment because the kids have gone back to school, & I dont mean it nasty but the little blighters are terrible carriers! lol Sounds pretty typical of a cold that someone with chest conditions (COPD/Asthma) would have as the tail end of a regular cold. My step mum, bless her, has always suffered bad with Asthma, she's even nearly died because she went to a horse rodeo show in the States! She never smoked, but she will 99% of the time end up with a chest infection if she is unlucky enough to get even a common cold. But as smokers me & my dad always have the cough after a cold dragging on for weeks! Not chest infections, not that I know of anyway, I never get it checked out, but just a cough, that goes on & on & on! I have had many a time where I have to sleep sitting up just to make it even slightly bearable. And thats going back years, so I know there was nothing serious going on!
I wouldn't bother using cough medicines or throat lozenges (those sugary things just feed bacteria) my doctor gave me that tip. I would breathe hot steam out a bowl under a towel when it gets particularly troublesome & sit it out. It will clear up completely eventually I bet you! x

Stressed32
26-09-09, 16:29
I am in the US but this is going about here! I had it and I have family in 2 other states that had it and the kids I teach are getting it. It starts with a sore throat and then your nose gets stuffy. No fever...just feel crappy for a few days then a cough. After it is gone, you end up with all that clear stuff for a few weeks. I do think it is viral not bacterial because I got over it without antibiotics. I am no doctor though and I did not go to the Dr. when I had it. Try a neti pot...it helps make symptoms go away faster and eases nasal congestion.
www.neilmed.com (http://www.neilmed.com)

tasia
26-09-09, 17:42
yes my daughter just been off school with a virus...loads of children are ill too...(not swine flu)...just normal stuff..sore throat..headache..etc., Its the time of the year unfortunately....hope you feel better soon...

trev1234
26-09-09, 17:47
so glad i spotted yr post ..im virtually the same..i only felt ill for 3 days..since then sore throat(mildish)cant clear my throat..doesnt seem like my chest just throat.croaky voice can hardley talk..really stressing me out...4 days of amoxcillin no improvement..had cough mixtures..now on honey and lemon..i think its getting better but very slowly..every one else seems of had it but just for 4 or 5 days...:)

den68
26-09-09, 20:26
im on week 3 of this virus what ever it is. cough is now a bit better but still feel so weak.

crystalshimmer
26-09-09, 20:26
Thanks for all your replies. It has reassured me to some extent. I have had a lot of heavy colds/bronchitis over the years due to smoking and managed to cope without antibiotics unless it was a really stubborn one,when I eventually went to the doctors and got something stronger than Benylin.This one is different,though, as it has floored me,esp this last week,and as I now suffer badly from anxiety,and the strong antibiotics have not made any real difference. I am really stressed.The inhaler doesn't seem to be doing much either,and my chest is making all sorts of wheezy,whistling noises especially in bed at night.I will be back at the doctors on Tuesday if it's not any better. Would have to be a holiday weekend this week.

Welsh.Baz
26-09-09, 21:51
Sounds like your typical cold, leaving you with a cough, and shes treating you with an inhaler due to the wheeze you're getting. The inhaler (you fail to say if it's blue or brown, ones a reliever, ones a preventer) will work in a few days.

My mum had a nasty cough due to her asthma after having a heavy cold a few months back, had to double her inhaler doses (shes broncal asthmatic) and it cleared after about a week. Normally if two weeks goes and the cough is still an annyoance they'll give you steroids to clear it up.

crystalshimmer
26-09-09, 23:03
Thanks Welsh. It is a blue inhaler. I have never had one before,as my COPD is mild.I had a bad coughing fit there so I have used the inhaler,and I will be off to bed soon ,and hope I get a better sleep.
Thanks to everyone who replied I appreciate it My family are all concerned as the cough is so bad and I am in my late 60's now and not able to handle this as well as when I was young.Being stressed and worrying about my health all the time doesnt help.I think I will have to get some help with my anxiety,as it is taking over.I am normally easy going with a good sense of humour(sounds like a personal ad) but lately I have been stressing out a lot, and the symptoms like hot sweats and chest tightness are very real, and very distressing.
Hope I get a good sleep as I think that would help a great deal.
Thanks again everyone

kathee
27-09-09, 01:08
if your cold has left you with a post nasal drip or catarrah this could cause a cough .... x