PDA

View Full Version : vaccinations

lonely
27-09-09, 15:53
just wondering who is at high risk and who should be advised to be vacinated againsnt this?, what about people with a heart problem like mvp

i was in the pharmacy and the staff where being asked if they wanted it, only one member of staff wanted it

Welsh.Baz
27-09-09, 16:35
Basically if you're entitled to the regular seasonal flu jab you'll be allowed to have the vaccination in the first wave of it being available.

nomorepanic
27-09-09, 17:15
I really don't want it and I know they are going to force me to have it this year - grrrr

Welsh.Baz
27-09-09, 18:18
I really don't want it and I know they are going to force me to have it this year - grrrr

Any reason why you don't want to have it?

nomorepanic
27-09-09, 18:46
I hate the idea of having drugs that I don't need in me and I know so many people who have had the flu vaccination and been very poorly afterwards.

lonely
28-09-09, 17:29
i don't really know if im in the groupd that needs flu vaccinations, only recently been diagnoed with mvp alongside my eating disorder, so not sure

mumof4
28-09-09, 19:35
i think it will be the same rules that apply for the flu jag so if u get that u will get the swine flu jag aswell.

my mother in law gets the flu jag and it makes her ill.

Frenchmaid
07-10-09, 19:02

Hi why will they force you! Here in Canada we are not force to get it?

xfilme
15-10-09, 00:38
For those of you planning on getting the vaccine, I highly suggest this is one area where you break your rules and consult reliable sites on the swine flu vaccine and its implications before you say yes. please DO NOT say yes without an educated decision behind it... this includes those in the health industry that may be pressured to take it because of their jobs. There is a lot of controversy over it of late with justifiable reasoning. Im sure those of you in the states are more aware than us in the UK. Please please please dont say yes without checking it out first, as it is an untested drug with much evidence indicating its not good for you in quite extreme ways. I would not say this had I not spent months researching it (not just reading headlines) and I feel that the fact it is untested causes for wise decision making. Knowledge is power. Assuming our best interest are being catered for is blind naivity x

Frenchmaid
15-10-09, 15:20

Hi! :)

I don't understand why would they force you to take this?

Frenchmaid
15-10-09, 15:28
just wondering who is at high risk and who should be advised to be vacinated againsnt this?, what about people with a heart problem like mvp

i was in the pharmacy and the staff where being asked if they wanted it, only one member of staff wanted it

I not sure but Mitral Valve Prolapse is not really a chornic heath condition i think but you may want to talk to your doctor...since i know that if you go to the dentist or surgery you need to take antibiotic and when you have the flu or cold it actually is heard on your heart....but be safe ask your doctor what he think!

How old are you! Just wondering cause i had this when i was young and then when i got older when to get an other ultrasound of my heart and it was gone...

phil06
15-10-09, 21:55
Silly question but if you have the vaccine does that mean you can't get swine flu ever?

Welsh.Baz
16-10-09, 15:23
Well there's always a chance you'll get a strain of it, even more so if/when it mutates. The vaccine will make you pretty much immune to the current strain, though if you are unlucky enough to get it, it'll only be very, very mild.

Veronica H
16-10-09, 16:56
:weep: I was diagnosed with flu yesterday and am on my second day of Tamiflu. To be honest I feel so rough I was willing to give anything a try. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

Veronica

ladybird64
21-10-09, 13:18
INow that the swine flu vaccine is available for those in the at risk groups, I'm wondering how many of you will take up the offer and what your reasons will be for saying yes or no?
I don't worry about my health in particular and I am in the high risk category but even I am quite unsure whether I should have it done or not!
So..yes or no and for what reasons?

Thanks

SleeplessFog
21-10-09, 13:54
I am not in a high risk group, but my husband is. Therefore I am getting the H1N1 shot. The problem is that right now all they have is the nasal mist, he can't take that, so he has to wait to get it, which is frustrating. They want high risk groups to get vaccinated, but yet in some situations, they don't even have the shot form available, and that is the only form they can take.

eeyorelover
21-10-09, 14:22
I usually keep my opinions on vaccines to myself but since you asked ;)

The H1N1 vaccine has not had the clinical trials that other vaccines have had. Where it usually takes years for a vaccine to be deemed viable by the FDA in the US, this vaccine took 3 months to approve.

It has not been fully tested on young children or on pregnant women but both have been included in the groups of high risk people who should get the vaccine. This was stated by the WHO in their most recent guidelines.

Also the H1N1 vaccine contains egg proteins. Parents are told NOT to give a child under a year old eggs but now are being told to immunize babies from 6 months of age with the vaccine? Doesn't make much sense to me!!

The vaccine that was created in the 70's for the swine flu killed more people than the flu itself!!!!!!!

Also the vaccine and many others contain mercury and/or aluminum which is being investigated for causing autism and seizures (among other issues currently being investigated) in children and adults who are being inoculated!

Finally, the US is 'farming out' the manufacturing of the vaccine to other countries who do not have the same safety guidelines for medications that the US has. We are told by the FDA not to buy prescription drugs from other countries, even tho they are less than half as expensive than buying them in the US because of the lack of safety guidelines in other countries BUT the batches of the H1N1 vaccine are being imported and the safety guidelines overlooked by the FDA.

Jumping down off my soapbox now :)

Welsh.Baz
21-10-09, 16:09
Well its been tested, granted not for the desired period, but as those who have already had their winters and have run tests with the vaccine (Australia and the like) have had limited side effects, and lets not forget it's been tested in alot of people in the UK already.

When i'm called i'll have it, just to be on the safe side as i'm asthmatic, much the same as I do with the seasonal flu jab.

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 14:46
:weep: I was diagnosed with flu yesterday and am on my second day of Tamiflu. To be honest I feel so rough I was willing to give anything a try. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

Veronica

Hi! How old are you if you dont mind me asking..!
Where do you live? I think that the Tamiflu is suppose to help shorter the lengh of the virus... its only your second day... relax and get some sleep i know its easy for me to say! But you need to relax and not to stress your system... just make sure you stay hydrated and if you have nausia your probably can take some ginger.. very good for that!!!

Take care... let me know how you feel!!!

xxx :hugs:

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 14:53
INow that the swine flu vaccine is available for those in the at risk groups, I'm wondering how many of you will take up the offer and what your reasons will be for saying yes or no?
I don't worry about my health in particular and I am in the high risk category but even I am quite unsure whether I should have it done or not!
So..yes or no and for what reasons?

Thanks

Hi Ladybird! Well for me i am not sure i live in Winnipeg Manitoba (Canada) and yesterday the new told us that its here and that they will started to vaccinate people on Monday they also have a list that they go by...

I don't really have health problem as far as i know except for allegies.. and i don't think it fall into the category of high danger..

But sometime i said yes: that i will get it because i hear what it has done to some people here in the spring we got hit pretty hard mostely the native community they were 43 people on ventilator.. i think 7 died so a bit scrarry...but

No if i don't take it: Is mostly because it really has not been tested properly so.. who know what it will do to you in 3 years from now.. look at what they said about the regular vaccine that every one who had it last year were more at risk to get the h1n1.. that is freeky

I AM STILL NOT DECIDE ... I ALSO HAVE 2 KIDS .. ONE 23 AND ONE 17 ... VERY CONFUSING TO KNOW WHAT TO DO...

How about you????

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 14:55
I am not in a high risk group, but my husband is. Therefore I am getting the H1N1 shot. The problem is that right now all they have is the nasal mist, he can't take that, so he has to wait to get it, which is frustrating. They want high risk groups to get vaccinated, but yet in some situations, they don't even have the shot form available, and that is the only form they can take.

Wow that suck that what i don't understand they make a list of people who really need it but they don't have to product available ....

Where are you from?

SleeplessFog
22-10-09, 16:51
Wow that suck that what i don't understand they make a list of people who really need it but they don't have to product available ....

Where are you from?

The States. I am upset because my doctor says he has been waiting several weeks for more H1N1 vaccine...in the shot form...meanwhile a coworker took her kids to the doctor yesterday and was able to get them all vaccinated with the shot.

Not happy right now.....

No offense to our government...but I believe the reason that its taking forever is because they are distributing it this time....and not the private companies.

Luckily I got the regular flu shot...every place around here is out of that too.

What a mess.

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 17:08
The States. I am upset because my doctor says he has been waiting several weeks for more H1N1 vaccine...in the shot form...meanwhile a coworker took her kids to the doctor yesterday and was able to get them all vaccinated with the shot.

Not happy right now.....

No offense to our government...but I believe the reason that its taking forever is because they are distributing it this time....and not the private companies.

Luckily I got the regular flu shot...every place around here is out of that too.

What a mess.
Holy... that suck! Here in Canada they said that they will have it for everyone they are started to vaccinate on Monday this coming monday This is what the goverment here ask from us:
Those who will benefit most from immunization and those who care for them include:
People under 65 with chronic health conditions
Pregnant women
Children 6 months to less than 5 years of age
People living in remote and isolated settings or communities
Health care workers involved in pandemic response or the delivery of essential health care services
Household contacts and care providers of persons at high risk who cannot be immunized or may not respond to vaccines
Populations otherwise identified as high risk
Others who would benefit from immunization include:
Children 5 to 18 years of age
First responders
Poultry and swine workers
Adults 19 to 64 years of age
Adults 65 and older

Here in Canada we are getting an adjavant vaccin for everyone here at the same time i think except for pregnant women but i think in the State you guy are getting the same vaccine but not the adjavent one so they can't produce as much at once...!!!

I don't think i will take the vaccine i am 41 quite healthy only allergies, my son is 17 and my daghter is 23 and they do not want to take it.. so I not too sure yet i will have to talk to my doctor next Tuesday to see what he think of all this..but for you who want to take it .. i think its suck that situation...just make sure for now that you boost your immune system.. with vit D3 and vitamin C also Cod liver oil is good...

Take care talk to you soon!!! :)

SleeplessFog
22-10-09, 17:15
Yeah the list here is in this order:

Health Care workers
People who are pregnant
People who have kids under 6 months
Children 6 to 24 years

THEN people 25-64 with chronic illness. I am so mad...half the people who have died have had underlying health conditions. My husband is pretty laid back about it...but I am afraid I will get sick and then make him ill :mad:

Right now in the city I am in, they are vaccinating all these healthy school kids at their schools each week. Its not fair that chronically ill people should have to wait!

If they want to make it right, they should vaccinate school children that have asthma etc.

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 17:22
Yeah the list here is in this order:

Health Care workers
People who are pregnant
People who have kids under 6 months
Children 6 to 24 years

THEN people 25-64 with chronic illness. I am so mad...half the people who have died have had underlying health conditions. My husband is pretty laid back about it...but I am afraid I will get sick and then make him ill :mad:

Right now in the city I am in, they are vaccinating all these healthy school kids at their schools each week. Its not fair that chronically ill people should have to wait!

If they want to make it right, they should vaccinate school children that have asthma etc.

Yes that right... people with Chronic illness shoud get it first.. i would think and then healthy kids with no compromise health system!

Do you have healt problem yourself?

Welsh.Baz
22-10-09, 17:54
Well here in the UK its supposedly going to go the route of:

Front Line Health Care Workers/Those with underlying health conditions aged 6 months to 65 years.
Pregnant Women
Household contacts of people with suppressed immune systems
Over 65's with health conditions
Then everyone else

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 18:05
Well here in the UK its supposedly going to go the route of:

Front Line Health Care Workers/Those with underlying health conditions aged 6 months to 65 years.
Pregnant Women
Household contacts of people with suppressed immune systems
Over 65's with health conditions
Then everyone else

This make more sense... health worker will every day with sick people and the health condition ....

Are you getting vaccinated Welsh?

Welsh.Baz
22-10-09, 18:13
I will be once my GP contacts me to say it's available as i'm asthmatic, so will take the same precautions as I do by having the seasonal flu jab.

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 18:19
Oh yes if you have ashma i guess its important for you to take it!

I never had any flu shoot... i don't have ashma but i have allergies like my nose get stuff up all the time you know like congestion and post nasal drip that stuff... but i had a test done because of this i think last year where they made me blow in a tube or something with a machine attach to it and the doctor told me that i had lung to run a marathon.. so!!!

Welsh.Baz
22-10-09, 20:46
Spiromitry test I gather, it's just a lung function test, normally done before and after medication :)

Frenchmaid
22-10-09, 20:50
Spiromitry test I gather, it's just a lung function test, normally done before and after medication :)
Hum... what kind of test they pass you for ashma?

Welsh.Baz
22-10-09, 21:32
I've only recently had the spirometry test, my asthma was diagnosed by a simple wheeze, followed by keeping a peak flow meter diary, of which the doctor then diagnosed asthma. There are a few varieties of asthma out there mind.

kathee
22-10-09, 23:11
even though i am unable to take meds due to my anxiety i was proud that i was able to have the regular flu jab this year for the first time ever, only side effect i had was a headach and slight temp for a day, so i am going to have sf jab, i know it will cause me anxiety for a day or so but far better than a whole winter of panic attacks wondering if every headache is swine flu !!! i have researched all the medical information i can and it seems the vaccine is very similar to the regular flu vaccine just with the dna strain changed to that of hn1 - also i have a severly disabled daughter and would rather have a panic attack every day of my life than risk catching hn1 and passing it on to her, but each one has to make their own decision :-)

ladybird64
23-10-09, 09:47
I still haven't made up my mind for sure but will probably end up having it done.
I'm asthmatic and as I'm on corticosteroids for the asthma my immune system isn't that great, I'm also a full time carer for my daughter so can't afford to get sick!
I missed the ordinary flu jab last year as I managed to pick up a chest infection and they wouldn't do the jab when I was ill, I consider myself lucky that I didn't get the flu because the infection had made me so unwell..I would probably have ended up in hospital.
I don't fancy going through all that again!

Frenchmaid
27-10-09, 13:30
I still haven't made up my mind for sure but will probably end up having it done.
I'm asthmatic and as I'm on corticosteroids for the asthma my immune system isn't that great, I'm also a full time carer for my daughter so can't afford to get sick!
I missed the ordinary flu jab last year as I managed to pick up a chest infection and they wouldn't do the jab when I was ill, I consider myself lucky that I didn't get the flu because the infection had made me so unwell..I would probably have ended up in hospital.
I don't fancy going through all that again!

Hi ladybird...
I so confuse about this whole thing... i have no clue what to do .. i am thinking about my bf who is on meds like morphine, valium for an accident that he had few years ago and he does not eat properly, no veggies, no fruit he smoke so i assume that his immune system is not that great.... also for my kids well they are not that young but 17 and 23 but some people tell me not to take it and other to take it somepeople said that i don't know why people are scread to get vaccinated.. and stuff...

Oh boy well i have a doctor appointment today so i will ask him to see what he think... also i am a bit nervous because i know this is made with egg and that everytime i eat egg i get tummy ache i don,t know if i am alelrgic to it or just a light intolerance.. :ohmy:

SleeplessFog
27-10-09, 18:26
Well,my DH is getting his vaccine on Thursday...he is in the high risk group now...I say now because before he wasn't....I guess they decided chronically ill people DO need the shot more than healthy people.

I'll let you know how it goes...if anyone is wondering.

Frenchmaid
27-10-09, 19:26
Well,my DH is getting his vaccine on Thursday...he is in the high risk group now...I say now because before he wasn't....I guess they decided chronically ill people DO need the shot more than healthy people.

I'll let you know how it goes...if anyone is wondering.

Hi Sleeplessfog... sure let me know how he feel after he get his shoot.. where do you live? I am asking you this becasue of here in Canada we have 2 vaccins one with an adjavant in it and the other one without...how about you guy's?

SleeplessFog
27-10-09, 19:30
Hi Sleeplessfog... sure let me know how he feel after he get his shoot.. where do you live? I am asking you this becasue of here in Canada we have 2 vaccins one with an adjavant in it and the other one without...how about you guy's?

Our vaccines do not have any adjuvants...I am in the United States. We have the flu nasal mist and the actual shot.

Frenchmaid
27-10-09, 19:39
Our vaccines do not have any adjuvants...I am in the United States. We have the flu nasal mist and the actual shot.
O ok... that what i don't like here the adjuvant vaccine.. kind of screar do take it... also is that i am not too sure if i have egg allergies sometime i eat egg and my tummy hurts and sometime it does not..! Really a nasal mist... wow... are you going to take this you too?

SleeplessFog
27-10-09, 22:35
O ok... that what i don't like here the adjuvant vaccine.. kind of screar do take it... also is that i am not too sure if i have egg allergies sometime i eat egg and my tummy hurts and sometime it does not..! Really a nasal mist... wow... are you going to take this you too?

Our GP says we should both get it because he is high risk. I am not a high priority group..so I will probably be waiting a few more weeks until it is available.

Frenchmaid
28-10-09, 14:16
Our GP says we should both get it because he is high risk. I am not a high priority group..so I will probably be waiting a few more weeks until it is available.

Yes me too i just came back from the doctor and i ask him the question if we should take it he said yes everyone should...me too i am not into high priority so I will wait but my doctor told me that right now the level is low and to listen Joel Kettner which is the head guy here in Winnipeg and that when ever he goes and said that the lever is going higher that mean that its about the time to get vaccinated...

I am just a bit screard to the that stuff Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)
that really what screar me..i don't want to get this at all... its suck!!

Jenny M
29-10-09, 11:13
Unfortunately I do not have a choice whether to have the Swine Flu vaccination. I am a nurse but I also have lung disease both Asthma and Aspergillosis so if I caught Swine Flu it would probably be very serious. I had the vaccination last Monday. The room was packed with Dr's and other medical staff, none fell over when they were given it so I felt confident! I have had no side effects except a slightly sore arm which is normal with any vaccination. This vaccination is not far off the normal flu vaccination (which contain new and different elements every year). The H1N1 is just another "new" element.

Wolfie
04-11-09, 11:52
Hi guys,

I know that many people are worried about the vaccine being unsafe, aswell as worrying about the vaccine causing Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

I just wanted to say something about this and hopefully it will put some people's minds at rest.

What few people know is that flu itself is far more likely to cause GBS than any flu vaccine. A study in 2009 concluded that between 40 and 70 people develop GBS, so basically, the best chance of avoiding it, is to get vaccinated... this conclusion is also backed by another study in 2007.

Reported cases of GBS, in the US, fell by 60% after flu vaccination, since 1996.

The actual risk of developing GBS from a flu vaccine is certainly less than 1 in a million, whereas, the risk of getting it from flu itself is more than 40 in a million.

Just wanted to reassure those who were worried about this,

Take care,

Chrissy xxxx

Frenchmaid
04-11-09, 15:05
Unfortunately I do not have a choice whether to have the Swine Flu vaccination. I am a nurse but I also have lung disease both Asthma and Aspergillosis so if I caught Swine Flu it would probably be very serious. I had the vaccination last Monday. The room was packed with Dr's and other medical staff, none fell over when they were given it so I felt confident! I have had no side effects except a slightly sore arm which is normal with any vaccination. This vaccination is not far off the normal flu vaccination (which contain new and different elements every year). The H1N1 is just another "new" element.

Hi Jenny!
I kind of nervous because i never really had a flu shoot at all... that i remember!

I heard all kind of stuff here from co-worker that it can cause you to paralyse and that some other people got it and could not feel his hands and face they were numbs....
But right now i am not on a prority list but i am also concern because they said that if you are aboriginal decendent you are at high risk... and in my family there is i believe i not 100% sure because i never do the research myself but some member of my family did and suppsely my great grand-father was a chief in a Tribute in Quebec... so i not sure if i range in the caterogy but i do not have my metis card so i would not be able to prouve it so i guess i have to wait my turn...

Some people here said do not worry its just a normal flu that all... but i not sure if i want to believe this...

Frenchmaid
04-11-09, 15:08
Hi guys,

I know that many people are worried about the vaccine being unsafe, aswell as worrying about the vaccine causing Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

I just wanted to say something about this and hopefully it will put some people's minds at rest.

What few people know is that flu itself is far more likely to cause GBS than any flu vaccine. A study in 2009 concluded that between 40 and 70 people develop GBS, so basically, the best chance of avoiding it, is to get vaccinated... this conclusion is also backed by another study in 2007.

Reported cases of GBS, in the US, fell by 60% after flu vaccination, since 1996.

The actual risk of developing GBS from a flu vaccine is certainly less than 1 in a million, whereas, the risk of getting it from flu itself is more than 40 in a million.

Just wanted to reassure those who were worried about this,

Take care,

Chrissy xxxx

Hi Chrissy... did you have the vaccine yet?????

Wolfie
05-11-09, 13:31
Hi Frenchmaid,

No, I haven't had the vaccination yet, I'm only 18 and I don't come into any of the priority groups, but in the meanwhile, I am thinking about the pros and cons of getting the vaccination, if I ever have it offered to me. Have you had it yet hun?

Chrissy xxxx

Frenchmaid
05-11-09, 14:12
Hi Frenchmaid,

No, I haven't had the vaccination yet, I'm only 18 and I don't come into any of the priority groups, but in the meanwhile, I am thinking about the pros and cons of getting the vaccination, if I ever have it offered to me. Have you had it yet hun?

Chrissy xxxx
Hi!
No not yet either, i am not on the priority list but some of my co-worker told me that maybe i should take once available to me because in the proritity list they mention Aboriginal ancestor and even that i don't know look like aboriginal except for my high cheek bone but my great grand-father was a chief of a indien tribute in Quebec some member of my family did some research i am not sure how accutate they are but i not sure how deed in the aboriginal blood you could be at risk its actually a 1/4 of my generation i guess!!!:)

ladybird64
05-11-09, 15:46
Hi all.

Just to give a quick update. I decided to go ahead and have the flu vaccinations, swine and ordinary.
Had both done today and will give you feedback of any problems that occur..hopefully there won't be any. :)

Welsh.Baz
05-11-09, 20:21
Hi all.

Just to give a quick update. I decided to go ahead and have the flu vaccinations, swine and ordinary.
Had both done today and will give you feedback of any problems that occur..hopefully there won't be any. :)

Both at once? Sore arm I bet :)

Lissy43
08-11-09, 19:01
I had the swine flu vaccine on Thursday. There were many nurses and doctors there I was advised to have it with being a student nurse.

I have felt abit unwell with a headache and my arm has been very stiff and swollen but I am hoping it will be short lived.

Jac 2009
08-11-09, 19:10
We are not forced to take anything Frenchmaid, we are just advised to do so.

The swine flu vaccination is prepared in exactly the same way as any other seasonal flu jab. The virus strain is selected and then grown in chicken eggs. Because I have asthma, I have had the seasonal flu jab for many years with no ill effects.

There is a lot of hysterical nonsense, mainly fueled by the media, talked about both swine flu and the vaccination to combat it. Loath or love the government, they have the best interests of the population at heart. Why on earth would they endorse a vaccine which wasn't safe? There would be a massive outcry if people were made more ill by the vaccine than the flu itself.

If you are in a high risk group, don't be put off - have the vaccine.

Jac

Frenchmaid
09-11-09, 18:25
We are not forced to take anything Frenchmaid, we are just advised to do so.

The swine flu vaccination is prepared in exactly the same way as any other seasonal flu jab. The virus strain is selected and then grown in chicken eggs. Because I have asthma, I have had the seasonal flu jab for many years with no ill effects.

There is a lot of hysterical nonsense, mainly fueled by the media, talked about both swine flu and the vaccination to combat it. Loath or love the government, they have the best interests of the population at heart. Why on earth would they endorse a vaccine which wasn't safe? There would be a massive outcry if people were made more ill by the vaccine than the flu itself.

If you are in a high risk group, don't be put off - have the vaccine.

Jac

Hi Jac!
K i taught that you guys were obligated to take it in the state...sorry!
Yes i know there a lots of stuff with the media and stuff my doctor told me not to listen to that just listen what our health offical are saying when i saw him he goes right now the flu activity is low here so not worry to run to take the vaccine but when ever they said that its getting higher then you should consider getting it...!!!

I am not on a priority list.... i have no health problem just allergies that all... i don't think they consider this a health problem !!!

My concern is that get a reaction once i get the shout there people who goes into anaphalatic shock... or pass out...
but what will happen with all that stuff in the shoot will this make us sick in a few hear from now or will they said taht everyone who got this h1n1 shoot last year are more subject to catch SARS or other disease?

I am little bit confuse :ohmy:....i also have a 17 year old son and 23 year old daughter... no of them wants the shoot!!! :huh:

Maj
09-11-09, 18:46
I went to my doctor for blood tests today and got the flu vaccination and the swine flu vaccination - I feel like a pin cushion!! Arm that got the swine flu vaccine is a wee bit achy but apart from that I'm okay so far.
Myra:yesyes:

charlotte83
09-11-09, 19:10
Is everybody supposed to get swine flu jab eventually? I am in no high risk groups and neither is any of my family so I probably would not get it for a while.

Frenchmaid
09-11-09, 19:19
Hi! Depend where you live but here in Canada they have different priority list from province to province.. me too i am not on the priority list and they said that once all those people are taking care of then they will issue a note for the rest of the public for the people who wants the vaccine!

Welsh.Baz
10-11-09, 16:47
My mum and cousin, both chronic asthmatics had their jabs yesterday, both have a sore arm, but the GP that did the jab said she had hers last week and had the sore arm for a few days. I've had a phone call a few mins ago, and i'm due to have mine thursday morning :)

Also they gave a NHS type booklet thing on the jabs, saying the main side effects are: a sore arm, a fever, muscle aches, these will be mild and only last a few days, unless of course you have some kind of severe reactions, which is why you have to stay for 5 mins afterwards just incase. Most the reactions appear in people who have egg allergies though.

Frenchmaid
10-11-09, 17:03
My mum and cousin, both chronic asthmatics had their jabs yesterday, both have a sore arm, but the GP that did the jab said she had hers last week and had the sore arm for a few days. I've had a phone call a few mins ago, and i'm due to have mine thursday morning :)

Also they gave a NHS type booklet thing on the jabs, saying the main side effects are: a sore arm, a fever, muscle aches, these will be mild and only last a few days, unless of course you have some kind of severe reactions, which is why you have to stay for 5 mins afterwards just incase. Most the reactions appear in people who have egg allergies though.

Hey Welsh!
I might go i have not decide yet but its still not open for me since i have no health issue.
I don't think i have allergies to egg... well sometime i will eat egg and my belly will hurts but i never have like my tongue or rash or stull like that happening to me... I am concern do that once i get this and in like 1 years from now the government tell us ... well i am sorry but everyone who had the shoot of h1n1n last year have danger getting this new flu or this new virus that just came out.. i don't know... since i am healthy i not sure if i need this... but then yesterday i spoke to my friend and her husban is a health care worker in the hospital and she said that when people get sick with this they get really sick...like the doctor have never seen before...! and its healthy people she said the a 19 year old your men just died perfectly healthy...:huh:

Wolfie
11-11-09, 11:18
Apparently they are thinking of allowing under-24s to get the vaccination in the UK, not sure of whether they will though, but I think it would be a good idea, especially when it's mostly the younger generation who appear to be suffering more from the illness, what does everyone else reckon? Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think the government will allow it?

Chrissy

Welsh.Baz
11-11-09, 13:31
Well they have said they've ordered enough vaccines for everyone in the UK to have at least one shot, so everyone will be vaccinated at some point, with those who have already been clinically confirmed as having SF, not needing this vaccine.

I've been invited to go for mine tomorrow, I have seasonal asthma, so naturally have the seasonal flu jab, so will go for this one to be on the safe side.

Welsh.Baz
12-11-09, 14:01
Just to follow up, had my vaccine at 11:30 UK time, just got a sore arm, so I guess i'm out of the woods concerning any severe reaction to the jab, so that's a good sign.

Frenchmaid
13-11-09, 15:55
Just to follow up, had my vaccine at 11:30 UK time, just got a sore arm, so I guess i'm out of the woods concerning any severe reaction to the jab, so that's a good sign.

Lucky i did not get it yet.. i actually in a low priority list i think well some people told me that i was on the priority list becasue i have aboriginal blood in me but its suck in a long genereation that i should not worry about it and other people told me that i should go now...
I not sure ...

ElizabethJane
13-11-09, 16:11
I have been offered the swine flu vaccine as I am in a high risk group. I was wondering whether anyone knew if I shouldn't take it as I take lithium. I have contacted my psychiatrist about this also. I read somewhere on this website of someone being told not to have it because of the lithium. I contacted the member but they could not tell me why this was so. Does anyone know of a contraindication with lithium?

ladybird64
13-11-09, 16:37
HI Elizabethjane

I have had a good nose around the internet to see if I could find a contraindication with lithium but I can't find anything.
I have had mine done (high risk group as well) but would suggest maybe contactling a pharmacist or even the company that manufactures the vaccine, someone is bound to know for sure.

Good luck :)

ElizabethJane
13-11-09, 22:22
Thankyou my doctor sees no cause for concern. I am also waiting for a call back from my psychiatrists secretary.

Welsh.Baz
14-11-09, 10:09
Put it this way, if you have the seasonal jab, then you can have this one, as it is made in exactly the same way, the only difference is it has the SF protein in it, instead of the normal H1N1, A & B samples :)

far
14-11-09, 13:17
This is reassuring - I'm new here and this thread has convinced me to have my jab on the 26th due to asthma (all being well) after cancelling my previous appointment on the 12th due to anxiety coupled with a bad cold (more the former as I was told the latter is ok to have a jab with).

SleeplessFog
16-11-09, 14:15
My DH is going to go to a clinic tonight to get the vaccine. I will keep anyone posted if they are interested. He has an underlying illness as well. I am out of luck though :shrug: