PDA

View Full Version : Increased appetite

Cat80
28-09-09, 15:05
Mum was given 30mg of Mirtazapine for her depression and it seemed to work well but she just couldn't stop eating. So the Dr moved her down to 15mg because my Mum needs to lose weight not risk putting more on. But the 15mg is giving her big dips of depression again. She doesn't want to go back upto 30mg again because of the ravenous appetite but can't stand this back to daily dark depression. Any advice on what she should do? I said maybe ask the Dr for an appetite supressant but she doesn't think he would give her that.

ElizabethJane
28-09-09, 16:05
Hi I am in the same position as your mum. I have just gone back on mirtazapine 30mg and I am already worried about putting on weight. Last time I took mirtazapine I put on a stone and a half. I have recently lost 20lbs in weight and I'm not putting it back on. I have been doing weight watchers so I will continue with that. I am going to try eating low fat and low sugar sugar snacks. Try and get your mum to eat healthily. I will also exercise regularily. If this fails then I think I will have to come off mirtaxapine

Noelieboats
23-11-09, 11:27
Hi, I think maybe your mother should speak to her doctor about the benefits of Lustral, lexapro effexor etc to name but a few. The truly sad thing about these meds is that they can all be touch and go with different side effects but the ones I named wouldn't be too well known for any form of weight gain, now I am no doctor and I can only speak from personal experience but I have been on all the meds mentioned here and it's all about finding what works for her in her own case. Exercise is a great all round thing cause it releases chemicals that promote happiness as well as helps with weight. I recently went on a low card diet which allows for quiet an intake of food stuffs as long as your a little bit careful about which foods, a low carb diet means more often than not it's fat your burning off I lost over half a pound a day and all I did was cycle to work. It helped with my anxiety and depression but I'm still fighting that fight. Best of luck.

MollyBunn
06-12-09, 22:42
I am coming of Citalopram at the moment and my GP has prescribed Mirtazapine..I am really concerned about the weight gain aspect too...but I got up to 60mg of Citalopram and it was having a very negative effect on me..along with not working ..not least that I didn't really want to eat anything but carbohydrate ...which is horrible. I will give the new one a try but if i put an ounce on I will be back to my GP...I will try very hard to not allow it to happen but being as worrying about my self image is an aspect of my anxiety I don;t relish set-backs...
It's such dilemma...but I do so want to feel well again.

sunshine-lady
06-12-09, 23:18
I am taking 30mg of Mirtazapine at the moment (have taken 45mg in the past) and find that it works well for me, alongside the other medication that I take.

I agree with ElizabethJane about eating low fat and sugar foods, plus keeping healthy snacks at hand like carrot sticks, celery and plenty of fruit, also drinking plenty of water and some exercise.

Wishing your mum the best of luck :flowers: