PDA

View Full Version : left sided stuff

Jules31
29-10-05, 17:55
Just wondering who else gets left sided symptoms more than anything else. I'm having a particularly troublesome time with them right now and as they aren't a common one for anxiety, I was curious as to who else gets them

I keep getting a feeling in my left arm and leg as though they suddenly feel paralysed. I can actually move them but it feels like I'm dragging them around (more so my leg). Sometimes it can be there for days and other times it comes and goes. It scares me though as of course I get worried it's a neuro problems. Also the left side of my scalp feels as though something is crawling under it ( and I feel vague and drugged)

Had a particularly bad attack yesterday which hasn't really eased up yet. Meg once again came to my rescue. Thanks Meg.

But once again, I don't want to spiral anymore out of control as the feelings kept waking me all night, together with a particularly weird head sensation, which made me feel as though I was being pulled away somewhere. Then came the hot surges in my mouth and body too.

Well I'm going off track but does anyone else get this. I first had the left sided stuff a couple of years ago but it's back again.

Thanks

[?]

Jules

kt
29-10-05, 18:04
Hi Jules,
I have been watching your posts for the last week or so as i have been feeling the same.
The only difference is that my symptoms are right-sided!
I had a huge panic attack in town yesterday because i felt a whooshing feeling in the top of my head. My neck and shoulders are so sore that it makes me feel sick when i try to massage them.
I also keep getting that horrible crawly feeling on my scalp and my whole head feels tingly sometimes.
I have read through several different things about this and they all say its tension. If i put my finger into the side of my neck near the base of my skull, it feels like a golf ball, and is so tender.
Neck exercises have really helped me in the past, so will make some time to do some again!
You are not alone and i hope they improve soon,
pm me if you want to chat about it
hugs, kt x

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

kt
29-10-05, 18:27
Jules,
forgot to add this website address, it has some excellent animated yoga stretching exercises that help relieve stress and tense muscles.
kt x

www.hathayogalesson.com

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

Meg
29-10-05, 18:40
Jules

Clemmons posted this for the breathing exercises but I think the first part may be relevent for you. Read it in your context.

http://www.psia.org/psia_2002/education/TPSArticles/teaching/tpsspring98symmetry.asp

Love

Meg xx

justamess
30-10-05, 14:15
Your not alone Jules. I have the same problem in my left arm. Sometimes I feel like its paralized but I can move it. Sometime I feel like its moving by itself. But really its not. Its me moving it :)

Like If I am Holding a cup in my hand, I feel like Im not holding it. My counselor told me it goes back to the depersonilzation thing!

Try to calm down, and not worry and concentrate on it. We all know its hard :)

Jules31
31-10-05, 13:27
Thanks all, Kt, I will try and pm you when I get chance.

Meg, I can't access the link that Clemmons put up as it's filtered out from work. Can anyone tell me the gist of it.

Ive had a really really bad night. Everytime, I went to sleep I was woken by this odd feeling in my head. I really can't put it into words but I now know that it's the onset of lots of other symptoms to come. I feel like I can't wake up but know I'm awake and as though something is slowing filling through my head. Then in secs, it's the burning mouth, chest feeling and as though my insides are on fire but I'm not hot to the touch., I've tried ignoring it and going back to sleep but then I'm getting a feeling that I stop breathing and I suddenly catch my breath and wake up gasping. Sometimes it's the catch in my breath that wakes me

By this time I have burning all over my shoulders and it feels like my brain is literally on fire and I'm spacey and not with it. I know it sounds stupid but it feels like my body then is just shutting down. I've tried getting out of bed and exercising to see if I can get rid of the adrenalin but that just makes me more lightheaded. After a while my stomach usually becomes upset.

Also more often than not my pulse is slower than normal, but sometimes does start to race. Oh yeah and my ears went blocked.

To end it all, my left shoulder and neck went into some sort of spasm which sent pains down my left arm and made me feel like my shoulders were paralysed. I'm guessing it's cos the muscles tensed up like never before. Though in the early hours of the morning, I'm convinced I have a neuro disease and wouldn't make it through the night. I didn't feel the spasm just a feeling that my body had turned to stone. I did survive the night but only after another three episodes all which last anything up to two hours, stopping for a few mins and then starting again.

I've tried everything to stop them, making a drink, watching some tv, writing the symptoms down and rationalising them but nothing at all helps.

Today I feel spaced out, my head is still burning, as are my shoulders and ears are blocked. And the minute, I got into the office and spoke to someone, my vision went and I got burning all down the left side of my body and a feeling I would pass out. My head really hurts inside but no scalp tension and my neck feels like someone is gripping it.

I've booked myself a massage for thurs so hoping that helps but I'm really at my wits end.

I guess I'm my own worst enemy as in my heart I can't help but keep thinking I have something seriously wrong with me so that doesn't help and perpetuates the fears. Even when I do accept the feelings though, they still rage through me and don't ease up until they've had enough.

Rant over. How do I get it into my head that this is just anxiety. One attack a night I can cope with but not endless ones, day and night. I know this sound trite but how I wish I could have the classic panic attack symtoms again, as at least I knew where I was with them and could stop an attack in it's tracks.

Jules

ClemmonsHoo
31-10-05, 18:29
Jules, here is a description:

Exersise 1:
While standing, raise left knee and place right hand on left knee. Then reverse this by raising right knee and placing left hand on right knee. Do this at least 10 times. What this does is trick the left and right hand sides of the brain into communicating with each other.

Exersise 2:
While standing, seated, or lying down - cross left ankle over right ankle. Stretch your arms out and cross the right over the left. Turn your hands so that your palms are facing and clasp your hands together. Turn your hands downward then roll them up and in so that your hands are against your chest below your chin. Hold this position for at least 2 minutes and breathe slowly and deeply while doing it. Also concentrate on relaxing all of your body. What this does is cross up the bodies electrical pathways which retrains the brain to turn off the fear and flight program.

Both of those exersises, especially 2) should be repeated at least twice per day.

nomorepanic
31-10-05, 21:24
Jules

I still get numbness in my left arm every morning and I sleep on my right side so never worked out why it is there.

It freaks me but I try to tell myself that it is just one of those things and I hope it is.

My arm and hand go completely numb and I am not laying on it. Weird isn't it?

Nicola

christian
01-11-05, 21:19
I was on a guided tour on the woods yesterday and my left ear started to burn but when I touched it it felt cool. Soon I was in borderline panic mode but I didn't abandon the group.
Usually bein in the woods calms me and I was fine until I decided to join this tour group. Must be a little social anxiety.

Seems like a soon as I am able to dismiss one tingle or pang or whatever, it (the panic/anxiety) finds some other place in my body to attack that scare me.

The ghosts of anxiety are exceedingly sneaky masters of diguise.