PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help??? fluoxetine to sertraline

xxkatiebxx
28-09-09, 20:20
I'm 7 months pregnant and have been on fluoxetine 20mg for a year now, and I am going to be swapping to sertraline 50mg so that I can breast feed more safely. The doctor has told me to do a straight swap - but I'm not sure about this and there isn't much info on the web about it.

I am scared of getting serotonin syndrome symptoms whilst pregnant, and have been told that this may happen due to the long half life of fluoextine.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

many thanks xx

KK77
29-09-09, 01:09
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20030828225122296270

Hi Katie
Yes, you're right, I would be very careful swapping from fluoxetine to another SSRI because of the long half life. It says in the above link that you should have a drug-free period of 4-7 days then start sertraline on low dose of 25mg and slowly increase. I was switched from fluoxetine to paroxetine straight away and had terrible side effects. Maybe you could chat to your GP again.
Good luck and hope that helps. x

xxkatiebxx
04-10-09, 00:15
HI there, seems like not many people have much experience of this topic :(

Anyway, just to let you know, I am on day 4 of no drugs (after stopping fluoxetine abruptly on tuesday night) and have felt no ill side effects as of yet. I will begin introducing sertraline tomorrow at 25mg for a few days before going up to the full 50mg.

I feel mega relieved but still a little apprehensive and probably will be until the sertraline has been receieved ok by my body xx

KK77
04-10-09, 16:37
You're doing it the right way so there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes. X