PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

marchant
28-09-09, 20:45
I have suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks for many years, later years with IBS.

I have managed via various means, plus diazepam and propranolol, the later only 10mg as and when.

Life does throw things and I have been going through a split in relationship and although 3 years have passed, I have had counselling etc but both GP and counsellor think the Citalopram would help? Especially when life throws a spanner in the works!

I did try for 3 days but do not get on well with drugs and small amounts seem to effect me greatly. I felt even worse on them.

I am really looking for some advice - is it really worth being on them.

I would say I am flat not depressed and there is a difference.

More difficult to cope I suppose than most with anxiety, panic and agoraphobia etc and lack of energy. having to live and cope with life alone.

Anybody been in similar situation and can say whether anti depressants help or are just another drugs to get addicted to?

Thanks

Steve :)

Joellie
28-09-09, 20:53
Citalopram helped me when i was depressed and at the moment i have sever anxiety although i actually think im depressed again. I just got put on it again today and im actually positive about it.

If it didnt work with you in small doses then dont use it.

marchant
28-09-09, 20:59
Citalopram helped me when i was depressed and at the moment i have sever anxiety although i actually think im depressed again. I just got put on it again today and im actually positive about it.

If it didnt work with you in small doses then dont use it.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I see think you are actually depressed - which does put a different light on things. I hope it works for you like last time. Take Care

Steve :)

fishman65
28-09-09, 21:00
Well from my own experience Steve I can honestly say that anti-depressants have helped me to a great degree.I'm currently changing anti-deps from citalopram to seroxat.However,the citalopram worked wonders for me for nearly 8 years and has only recently started the conk out on me,hence the change.Both of these anti-deps have a licence for anxiety and not just depression.Besides,anxiety and depression are inter-related and treatment of one will often alleviate symptoms of the other.So even if you feel merely 'flat' as you say,these drugs could help you with the anxiety.Hope this has helped you a little.

Take care, Fishy

marchant
28-09-09, 21:09
Well from my own experience Steve I can honestly say that anti-depressants have helped me to a great degree.I'm currently changing anti-deps from citalopram to seroxat.However,the citalopram worked wonders for me for nearly 8 years and has only recently started the conk out on me,hence the change.Both of these anti-deps have a licence for anxiety and not just depression.Besides,anxiety and depression are inter-related and treatment of one will often alleviate symptoms of the other.So even if you feel merely 'flat' as you say,these drugs could help you with the anxiety.Hope this has helped you a little.

Take care, Fishy

Thanks Fishy, but any side effects? I am concerned about any side effects. If you take say being flattish sometimes but take on board a load of side effects. With drugs it does seem to be a balance of what the drugs does for you against the side effects, which all drugs have.

Thanks for your posting - something to think about!

Steve

fishman65
28-09-09, 22:33
Hi again Steve.For myself the side effects were relatively mild....some nausea for the first couple of weeks or so and some tension in my lips/mouth.However these passed leaving me with no ill-effects at all.But....everyone is different so I must emphasise these were my experiences.

Take care, Fishy