PDA

View Full Version : Speaking to the dr about anxiety depression

Alicat
28-09-09, 23:20
Hi,

I had a bad depressive episode over summer. July&August were hell! I had really bad anxiety and depersonalisation. I got really depressed and suicidal. I did go to the dr when I was feeling up to it but she didn't take me very seriously and all I got was a booklet on 'coping with stress and anxiety'. I could write a bloody book and I've read lots about the 'fight or flight' response and because alot of my problems are associated with my disability and pain, I don't have the option of fight or flight or applying some of the coping strategies suggested.

Anyway...the counselling psychologist I see told me about a group nearby who do mindfulness and depression relapse prevention. The only problem is that I have to get referred by a gp. I hate talking to the dr about anything that isn't physical and I can't get across how bad I feel and the problems I'm having. I'm going to go to a different dr than the one who was very unhelpful before but has anyone got any advice on talking to the gp about anxiety/depression? I really don't want to go through what I went through over summer again. It was so scary and horrible.

Thanks for any advice. :yesyes:

Lynnann
29-09-09, 04:09
Hi Ali,

Just a suggestion but why don't you write it down, I find it difficult to talk to doctors at times and have a few times written a letter instead.

Walked in to the appointment and given them it after they have read it we have discussed options; worked for me:yesyes:

Lynnann:flowers:

Joellie
29-09-09, 10:27
Same as lynnann i write a list of how i feel.

One doctor took it and used it and has kept it to refer back to but the most recent one i went to didnt really want to look at it

I feel fake when i go to the doctors like im in a test "are you really ill?" so i write it down so i dont have to speak that much

Alicat
29-09-09, 20:55
I feel fake when i go to the doctors like im in a test "are you really ill?" so i write it down so i dont have to speak that much

Yeah I do too! I told the counsellor that I don't feel 'valid' when I go in there because I'm not 'ill' so end up not telling them how I feel! I've thought about writing it down. I've done that in the past and not given it to them. I'll do my best, although at the moment I'm feeling ok so I don't feel right going at all!

Thanks for your advice!

Alicat
28-10-09, 21:58
Hello people,

I finally plucked up the courage to go to the dr today. I copied lots of things I'd written in this and another forum and took it to the dr. She was really good. Talked to me for quite a while and asked me how I felt and what made me feel like it etc. She asked me whether I had good friends and where they are etc. Took me seriously and made me feel valid and not like I was making a fuss about nothing (like the other one did)

I definitely think having it written down helped because it was there in black and white with dates on. She's going to keep the piece of paper and is referring me to a mindfulness based CBT programme at the CMHT. I'm now worrying about whether it'll be on when I'm sposed to be working and what I should do-but I know I have no control over that.

Anyone got any advice as to what I should do if it is during work? I work in a college and am not supposed to take time off during term times. I haven't told them about my anxiety/depression. I haven't really filled in any medical forms I don't think and noone's asked :shrug:

Thanks!

daisycake
29-10-09, 08:13
:yesyes: glad taking to the doctor went well :)

as for college, I'm at uni and I have told my tutor and the student support, do you have a tutor at college you could tell; I'm pretty sure you can be entitled to time off for this as it is an illness - you could ask for a doctor's note maybe? I think if you tell your tutor or someone they will be able to help :)

daisycake xx

Alicat
01-11-09, 17:16
do you have a tutor at college you could tell

I'm a colleague so I don't have a 'tutor'. I have a line manager but they wouldn't let me have time off a few weeks ago for a hospital appointment. I have a disability and I know they're supposed to-but I don't want to rock the boat or upset anyone.

I spoke to the lady who runs the course and she said last year it was on a Tuesday evening and it should start in Jan/Feb so that should be ok.