PDA

View Full Version : Hello - im new

littlebunty
29-09-09, 19:33
Hello

Ive read some stuff on here before - a bit of a lurker really and found the replies to be really helpful and informative.

Im 34 years old andhave a major health anxiety - im not quite sure when it started - my dad was never in good health - he died when I was 19 - I used to work in Occupational Health and I think that may have been the start of this, unsure really. I have seen a counsellor about this and did really benefit from it and am going to speak to my GP and ask if I can see him again - I do feel he helped me a lot - or helped me rationalise my thinking.

I few weeks ago I got stung in the throat by an insect that was in my drink - handy eh!! had to go to A&E to get checked and I had a massive panic attack - so massive that they did a trace on my heartrate and I ended up getting an ecg... all was well in the end! Thing is - I have noticed a little numb(ish) patch on the underside of my big toe - right foot.. I think its also a tiny bit on the other big toe aswell. I have had many panic attacks over this and end up with a pins and needles effect - I know this is an anxiety thing generally. I have been offered seroxat for anxiety years ago but refused as I really dont want to take medication - I am now so constantly worried incase I have MS - im constantly pricking myself to see if it hurts in this little area - I dont even know if it should hurt or not if you did have MS.... I have gone thru various stages of panic today and would appreciate some advice?

Does anyone else have any experience of such things? part of me just wants to cry ... every time I look at my kids I just feel so sad and that they could do so much better having me around if I cant look after them

I am intending on going back to see my gp this week and maybe getting some help - dont know really where to turn :weep:

Paperheart
29-09-09, 19:57
Hi - I completely understand. I have had health anxiety and panic attacks for the last 10 years, my dad was very ill when I was growing up and although thankfully he is still with me, there were times when I thought he would die. I don't under stand how this has made such an impact on me but it must have done.

I tried lots of councilling but didn't get anywhere, like you I didn't want Seroxat because I was scared of medication and didn't want to rely on it. I took it in the end because I was desperate and it turned things around. I would never tell people to take it as it is a personal choice but it was a life saver for me and I was so grateful to it at the time. Maybe keep trying with the talking therapy and take comfort knowing the Seroxat is there as a safety net if things get to bad.

I really feel for you, you obviouly really care for your kids and It must be really hard. Take care and try to stop pricking yourself, I have picked at my skin for anxiety reasons and it has made a real mess with scars. I regret it now but couldn't stop.

I hope your GP can help