PDA

View Full Version : First day on propranolol but not sure ...

Fran74
29-09-09, 22:55
Today i have taken my first tablet of propranolol 40 mg , i coulnd t cope anymore and really wanted something to make the pain the fear the anxiety goaway-:( now i feel upset with myself as i think ishould have not taken medicationas i am worried theywont make me feel anything ..like they will make me numb ...-:(

pollyanna
29-09-09, 23:13
Fran,

If you were ill with diabetes and you needed insulin to make you better, you wouldnt feel guilty for taking your mediction would you, well really this is no different. You have said that you couldnt cope, and this is helping you along at the moment, it doesnt need to be forever, and even if it did, if it lets you have some comfort in life then so be it. i dont see anything wrong with that.

I take propranolol 40mg up to 3 times a daily, i only take it when i need it, and i have have done this for maybe 10 years, when i was first prescribed then it took me a year to actually take them, i was so terrified of what i thought they might do to me, but in the end, like you i couldnt cope anymore, and i am so glad i did, they dampen down the anxiety, not take it away completely, and they dont alter your mood directly, ( although you will obviously feel happier when you are not so anxious), they wont make you feel numb, i promise.
Obviously medication is a very personal thing, but for me, and i have health anxiety and phobic about taking medication, ( amongst other things) they were a godsend to me.

Good luck , hope you feel better soon

P x:)

TheMadPikey
29-09-09, 23:22
I take 160mgs twice a day they will not alter your mood,they don't even affect anxiety they just stop adrenaline from reaching your heart which helps with anxiety sufferers.

Danath
30-09-09, 01:15
Hi Fran,

I've taken propranalol for anxiety before, TheMadPikey is right, they aren't mood altering drugs, they're from a group of drugs called Beta Blockers often used in heart attack patients to regulate their heart beat I believe and aren't considered a medicine used for mental health i don't think, though doctors often prescribe it for anxiety because it stops adrenaline flying around your body. just my experience with the stuff.

Dan

Fran74
30-09-09, 23:00
Thank you all for yor replies ..they made feel much better about starting to take the med ..i am still not sure if i sm having side effects or is just my mind playing games ..i think the latter might be the right answer hehehe
going to see the Gp in two weeks anyway to check how i am getting on -:)
anyway thank you all again hope you are all feeling good
speak soon

xxxx
Fran

debz71
05-10-09, 11:09
hi fran....i have been on propranolol for 4 days now and not sure wat to say about them r they working ???? i take 80mg in the morning but i still feel very anxious so not sure if they r working...i also take 125 mg of thyroxine daily and now i have just found out that my blood level is too high..tutt... so now i have to be reduced on the thyroxine but this bit is mad because when i have the thyroxine and the propranolol my anxiety is very unstable and my heart pounds and i get all the bad affects cant breath to dizzy spells and feeling really sick and not eating ! but when i just take the propranolol my chest feels tight dry mouth sickly feeling and still anxious not sure if the doseage is right but i have a app at the docs later so hopefully i will get the right answers...wat r your side affects like with the propranolol....!

Fran74
05-10-09, 22:39
Hi Debz
i have started prpranolol last tuesday one a day 40 mg up to 3 a day , like you i get dry mouth and in my case i find it too strong , so today i have taken some bromazepan instead ..i have also lost my appetite( although loosing some weight is never a bad thing i say hehehe) and get tight chest and i worry that my heart goes too slow that is going to stop ..but i have read other posts where people suggested to give it at least two weeks and also my doctor suggested that , so i am going to see him again next week i might ask him a lower dosage ... Why dont you call your doctir and ask him to change your meds you need something that at least removes the anxiety ....let me know how you get on
fran

greenday1997
06-10-09, 18:36
hi there,
i*m in the same boat as you really its my second day taking propanolol was really anxious about taking them i felt differently didnt see it as a weakness i just wanted something to stop what i was experiencing.

Yesterday when i took them i felt nice and calm, which was a relief because ive been having a bit of a relapse lately with anxiety. second day going ive took one and feeling really anxious its only been 20 mins since i took one i think my worry is with it slowing the heart down etc but then for the past 2 weeks ive practically been praying for my heart 2 calm down when im having a full blown panic attack so the irony is there we have something prescribed which is going 2 help (which is what we so desperately want) but then we worry about it because its a tablet :roflmao:

anyway hope we both feel better soon :bighug1:
green

Fran74
06-10-09, 23:05
Hello Green,
you wont believe me but i was thinking the same as you when worrying about the heart going to slow ..and i thought this is a joke so if my heart is too fast OMG I am dying ..then if it is too slow OMG i am dying ..when i had all these thoughts i have to say i made myself laugh which is good .. how much proponolol do you take ?you might want to ask your doctor to give you less dosage ..that is what i am going to do next week when i go back to my doctor ..i am not sure about this medication ..i used to be on xanax and felt so much better not tired at all ..hope you are feeling calm and dont worry talk to your doctor and i am sure you will find some med that work for you
speak soon
best
Fran

greenday1997
06-10-09, 23:34
ok - scrap me being all cool about things lol am actually freaking out a bit now because (suprise suprise) iread something on the net saying thechest feeling tight and hard to breathe symptoms on propanolol which is what i'mexperiencing , its actually worse when am stood up or walking to sitting down, that if you experience these 2 get in touch with someone cos itcould be serious :weep: i dont know what to do!!

Fran74
07-10-09, 22:50
Hello , sorry for my late reply but today was out all day -:(
so dont panic i am sure is your mind playing up but if you are really worried just call your doctor and ask him to see tomorrow ..our minds cant play games on us when i first started the tablets i read all the side effects and believr me i experienced one and each of them ..so dont worry and call the doctor first thing tomorrow
let me know how you get on
take care fran

sallyb
08-10-09, 09:37
Today i have taken my first tablet of propranolol 40 mg , i coulnd t cope anymore and really wanted something to make the pain the fear the anxiety goaway-:( now i feel upset with myself as i think ishould have not taken medicationas i am worried theywont make me feel anything ..like they will make me numb ...-:(
fran i have recently started on these tablets too after suffering over 20 years of extreme anxiety, for me they have been a godsend and have taken away all those feelings of total dread and fear, i have had no side effects from them other than my feet feeling a little cold, i am able to carry on with all the normal thinga and they have'nt made me feel numb, please give them a fair try. best wishes and good luck x:D

Fran74
08-10-09, 10:48
Hello Sallyb

I have been reading on the forum and it seems that propranolol has been so good for some people but not as good for others..I am now taking half of a 40mg in the morning and I feel better ..I will give it a goal and talk to my Gp next week and see what it says..
I am very happy for you :hugs::hugs:
Have a lovely day
Fran