PDA

View Full Version : Experiences of lofepramine please

dottytoots
30-09-09, 16:03
Hi all, I am suffering with anxiety at the mo (have been having major panic attacks too, but touch wood havent had one in a few weeks). The DR has arranged counselling and I have diazapam as a back up in case I need one.

But she has also prescribed lofepramine. I am really against Anti D's as my mum was on a cocktail of anti d drugs for years and then changed onto Prozac, cold turkey on the others and no support at home.

I read that Prozac could be linked to suicide and stupidly mentioned this to mum (I was only 19) and in a few months she had taken an overdose and died. I have always blamed myself.

So while the DR agrees I have strong reserves of strength, she thinks an anti D could help (my dad dropped dead when I was 7 months pregnant with my second baby) and she chose Lofepramine. I had a quick 3 day dabble with Citalopram last year after the birth of my son but it (or didnt, I just thought it did) make me panicky and I stopped.

She chose Lofepramine as she said it had never been linked to suicidal feelings, but when I read the side effects it was the first thing mentioned.

Now I do NOT have a suicidal bone in my body (quite the opposite, I am desperate to live a long and happy life), but I am scared that if I took them I would have thoughts that were not my own and do something against how I feel.

Also they seem to increase adrenaline as well as seratonine (cant spell today), surely if I am panicky I dont need my adrenaline increasing.

Does anyone have any experience to share of this drug. I am coping, but she thinks this drug would support me a little while my conselling and grieving happens. I am scared of not being capable of functioning enough to look after two babies if I am on drugs so to speak! (I never need a diazapam when I'm with the kids or out of the house).

Thanks, sorry for the essay, why use one word when 1000 will do?

Coni
30-09-09, 19:37
Hi dottytoots,

I took lofepramine a couple of years ago for about 8 months and I found it helpful. I had been on escitalopram before that but after a recurrence of anxiety and to a lesser extent depression my GP felt this to be the drug of choice although it is an older type anti depressant...he felt also it would be particularly useful in anxiety.

I had no problems with it that I can remember apart from a dry mouth but I just made sure I kept a bottle of water or some mints with me.

You have had a lot to cope with so your GP obviously feels this would be helpful to you. I also have 3 children (although they are older) and I work full time and drive a lot and didnt find the tablets had any great affect on my ability to function fairly normally.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with the counselling too.

Take care

Coni XX