PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils really do help you to relax and sleep

junie7
30-09-09, 17:06
I recently went on an aromatherapy blending course. I was a bit worried about attending the course as I was feeling quite fragile as I had recently had two full blown panic attacks and I was also not in the right frame of mind for meeting with new people on the course and having to interact with them. However I need not of worried it was a lovely relaxing environment with the lovely scents of essential oils wafting throughout the room. I spent my first day smelling lots of different essential oils and learning about the various uses they have. I was in bed at 9pm that evening as I could not keep my eyes open and had the most refreshing uninterupted sleep I had in ages.
I would definitely recommend bathing in the evening using an organic bath oil with added organic essential oils and also using a massage oil afterwards.
Not only will this be an excellent treat for your skin it may also help relax and help you sleep.
You could also have a blend of relaxing essential oils made up to smell throughout the day.

PanicOver!!
30-09-09, 17:25
God what i would give for a nights un-interupted sleep
will definately give it a go
what "flavour" would you recommend x

freudian nightmare
30-09-09, 19:30
I too love the smell of aromatherapy oils, my favourites are lavender which is a good all-rounder, neroli-good for stress and insomnia though a bit expensive, melissa-brill for stress, depression but also quite expensive, and geranium-good for hormonal problems. Ylang-Ylang is also very good for stress as well and particularly stress related hypertension, and bergamot is good for depression. I'm not an expert on essential oils i just love them and i feel they can be a great help for stress and depression. Sometimes i just put a few drops of my favourite oil on a hanky and sniff throughout the day, i do get some strange looks though so be warned lol! :D

sarah jayne
30-09-09, 19:31
I will definately try this, i cant remember the last night i had a good nights sleep ! x

junie7
30-09-09, 21:32
I have made myself a blend using the following essential oils:

cardamon
patchouli
bergamot
geranium
vetiver

These oils have to be blended with a carrier oil as you can not use these oils undiluted on the skin.
Although they are more expensive I always use organic.
All of these oils are reputed to have a calming and relaxing action on the nervous system.
I would recommend the following as it works for me.
Close the bathroom door and run a hot bath, pour in a capful of the bath oil after the bath has run and inhale the steamy vapour of the essential oils, have a long soak in the bath with a good book or magasine, after a long soak rub some massage oil into your skin, have a hot milky drink and go straight to bed.

I would love to know if this works for anyone so please let me know. You can always send me a pm.

Junie

Bluebelle
30-09-09, 22:34
I am due to take a 2-weekend course . The first one is on bach flower rescue remedies and the 2nd weekend is on essential oils. My anxiety has been getting worse the closer I get to the weekend. I am feeling better after reading your posts. I hope I get some of the peace you were able to experience!
I am keen to try your receipe for the bath. How many drops of each would you use?
Thank-you
Love-Blue

Matthew82
30-09-09, 22:56
Hey Bluebelle,

Would you be able to PM me about the Bach Rescue Remedy thing once you've done it? I bought some ofthe general rescue remedy today (as opposed to the individual extracts, which you can buy from Holland and Barrett). I'm a scientist, and quite sceptical about a lot of these things, but am also willing to be open minded if people say something helps them.

I must say that the recommended two squirts on the tongue (I have a spray) doesn't seem to do much. However, three or four and there is something happening - placebo perhaps, or maybe not.

Anyway, would you let me know?

Matt

PS - I think a sticky on aromatherapy would be quite good, seing as it's a very common method of treating panic and anxiety...

junie7
30-09-09, 23:44
Hi Bluebelle,
I would love to hear from you when you have taken your courses, I did'nt realise there was such thing as a bach rescue remedy course and I shall be looking around to see if there is one I can take here in London.

I have been using bach remedies also and I sip water throughout the day with drops in and also have a few drops in the evening. Make sure you have plenty of very cold water to drink on your course, I also always have strong mints with me so if I feel a bit jittery sucking one of these seems to help.

The drops I use in 50ml of carrier oil are:

cardimon - 5
patchouli - 3
bergamot - 8
geranium - 3
vetiver - 4

I hope you get as much pleasure from the course as I did. It is such a fascinating subject you are sure to become so interested in your day you will forget any anxieties you have. Please pm me and let me know.

All the very best

Junie

Bluebelle
01-10-09, 18:25
Junie-Thank you so much for your receipe ! I will be trying it tonight- it is freezing here today-winter is on it's way.

I would love to share any info on the resuce remedies-I can use this as added incentive to go to the weekend workshop-I am panic stricken at the moment- I am going to tell myself that I HAVE to go my "peeps" at NMP want this info too! My anxiety is getting really high and the course is still 2 days away ! It actually calms me down to think I am going so I can share general knowledge-although I don't know how much I'll get from 2 days !
Love you guys-Blue

mapmaker
14-10-09, 02:36
I use a blend called "Peace and Calm". It has a great smell to it and will breath in its aroma for 5 minutes at times. I don't feel much different emotionally...but it sure smells good.

Bill
14-10-09, 04:36
I was once offered an aromatherapy session which I found relaxed me so I decided to go for more. However, I had to stop because of the expense and no one would give me one at home!

I tried a few but the one oil that I found always worked for me was Vetivert. It may not work for everyone though. It has a powerful scent which knocks you out...even the therapist.....but it always left me with a feeling of "floating on a cloud" for the rest of the day.:cloud9: Like I say though, it may not suit everyone.:shrug: